Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM

188 posts, read 283,899 times

Advertisements

I am appalled by the fact that people support "their right" to own a gun, while kids die. Essentially, their support and silence is equal to complicity. Period. The government makes it mandatory for parents to send their kids to school and they cannot even guarantee safety. One can buy a riffle at an age that they are not legally allowed to drink alcohol! In some aspects, this country makes me sick. I really hope that people elect representatives that will end the craziness of gun ownership.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You aren't making one other than ban the AR 15, The NRA is responsible/complicit, firearm proponents are responsible/complicit, the attitudes of those that enjoy the fruits of their labor is appalling to you and immature as well...

You don't have a point that is what the OP adresses. You want a ban on AR15s. Magazines. Ammo. The works.
You seek to curtail rights.

What's silly is believing gun free zones work, in a society that possesses firearms...
What's even more sillier is the fact folks believe they actually work...

NOBODY pro 2nd Amendment is suggesting the deaths are not important. They are. It disgusts us as equally as it does you. We merely suggest a proof positive way to handle it, stop it, by....

Protecting Protecting.
Preserving Liberty.
Ensuring Pursuits of Happiness.

Your issue is with me and millions of others who own and want to own what you pin emphasis on. The AR15.

I say again. 1st-8th would need to be violated. These weapons can be made inside the home.

And I say again that it would not. As far as proof, we have the fact that this does not happen in any near similar fashion in other 1st World countries. But no gun cultist wants to pay attention to this. They ask for proof while a whole continent across the Atlantic gives them all the proof they need that other countries get along just fine without routine mass shootings.

Im heading out to a stargazing thing with my grandson . But it is silly in the extreme to insist that the issue of mass shootings cant be solved without arming the schools when we are the only country in the world that suffers from this on a routine basis. We can .Other countries do. We just don't want to because it will interfere with our rights to play with our toys.

Last edited by wallflash; 02-17-2018 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 04:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Really?

Talk about emotion-based. Where does the constitution say you have a right to an AR 15?
Absurd. Where does the constitution say you have a right to use the Internet? Where does it say you have a right to free speech using a computer? Where does it say you have a 4th amendment protection of your cell phone?

The purpose of the Constitution is to limit government, not explicitly spell out word for word every conceivable right through the end of time.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
LOL, you guys always take that quote out of context. Let's try again.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

What part of "well regulated" do you not understand?
a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state. lets examine that shall we? back in the time when this was written, well regulated was a phrase used to mean in good working order. the militia was to be the army of the states, much like the national guard is today, aka citizen soldiers. remember the founding fathers did NOT want a large standing army under federal control. in point of fact the only branch of the military that is constitutionally protected is the navy, since if you were to read the constitution it is the only one provided for.

some interesting reading for you

https://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm

so the question is what part of well regulated do YOU not understand?

Old 02-17-2018, 04:54 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Note that it does NOT say that you are entitled to weapons of war and further note than when the constitution was written - they were using musket rifles.

THAT is what you are entitled to.
As usual we can count on anti gun nuts to be ignorant on the subject. The AR-15 is NOT a 'weapon of war'.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Well regulated Oxford English dictionary.
The following are taken from the Oxford English Dictionary, and bracket in time the writing of the 2nd amendment:

1709: “If a liberal Education has formed in us well-regulated Appetites and worthy Inclinations.”

1714: “The practice of all well-regulated courts of justice in the world.”

1812: “The equation of time … is the adjustment of the difference of time as shown by a well-regulated clock and a true sun dial.”

1848: “A remissness for which I am sure every well-regulated person will blame the Mayor.”

1862: “It appeared to her well-regulated mind, like a clandestine proceeding.”

1894: “The newspaper, a never wanting adjunct to every well-regulated American embryo city.”

What part of well regulated, in good working order, do you have trouble understanding?
Despite the above meme which you cut/pasted without attribution, in those days regulated had both the above meaning as well as the conventional meaning of government regulated and you can't prove which definition they meant, nor can you disprove both definitions weren't intended.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, to which in-good-working-order militia did the Florida shooter belong? Las Vegas? Kentucky? Columbine?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 PM

125 posts, read 64,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Many imported semi auto rifles, all guns from China, and many domestically made semi auto rifles were changed to comply with the Assault Weapons Ban. However, you could still get AR-15's, and semi auto AK-47 clones and most other except they did not have a flash suppressor, or bayonet lug.

So in effect, semi auto sporting rifles that resembled military arms cosmetically were not banned. Many people erroneously call these Assault Weapons.
As I remember, no weapon was banned. You could still purchase an AR15; you just couldn’t have a removable flash suppressor, bayonet lug, collapsible stock and I believe a vertical foregrip. Such a dumb gun law that changed nothing on how the AR15 fired. It comes to no surprise, the Clinton assault weapons ban didn’t curb gun violence. Handguns is what they need to target.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:01 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
I am appalled by the fact that people support "their right" to own a gun, while kids die. Essentially, their support and silence is equal to complicity. Period. The government makes it mandatory for parents to send their kids to school and they cannot even guarantee safety. One can buy a riffle at an age that they are not legally allowed to drink alcohol! In some aspects, this country makes me sick. I really hope that people elect representatives that will end the craziness of gun ownership.
I support all rights equally, period. Sorry that offends you.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Despite the above meme which you cut/pasted without attribution, in those days regulated had both the above meaning as well as the conventional meaning of government regulated and you can't prove which definition they meant, nor can you disprove both definitions weren't intended.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, to which in-good-working-order militia did the Florida shooter belong? Las Vegas? Kentucky? Columbine?
the second amendment was written because the founders specifically did not want the government to regulate firearms.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM

188 posts, read 283,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I support all rights equally, period. Sorry that offends you.
I am sorry for you. Indirectly, you have blood in your hands, because you facilitate this. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies