Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Defunding sanctuary-cities, yeah, not going to happen. It sounds like red-meat for someone's
voter-base.

Just like Trump, during his campaign(not really knocking him, all politicians/candidates do this) that he was not going to get elected and just be able to start screaming-out orders and magically get thing like the border wall done, he knows/knew about the balance-of-power in the Fedgov. Same thing applies to this sanctuary-city issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:59 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If that were true then citizens would be lining up to pick crops, slaughter chickens, clean bathrooms and wash dishes in restaurants, but they aren't and they won't even if you kick out every single illegal immigrant in the US.
If not for illegal labor (and the welfare state) those jobs would pay enough to attract American workers or they would not exist at all.

And BTW, there are plenty of American diswashers ....I did it as a summer job for two years when I was a tennager. Plenty of Americans do janitorial and maid service jobs too.

And most "crop pickers" aren't actually illegal, they get special agricultural work visas.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:01 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Blackburn is a professional Republican and Christian. She is a typical FOX guest. Hopefully she will get out of politics too....
I'm hoping that we can get some decent people to run against her for Corker's seat. I do not want her representing me as a Senator.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
If not for illegal labor (and the welfare state) those jobs would pay enough to attract American workers or they would not exist at all.
yeah sure...just like wages have gone up for all the jobs held by citizens (not)
Quote:
And BTW, there are plenty of American diswashers ....I did it as a summer job for two years when I was a tennager. Plenty of Americans do janitorial and maid service jobs too.
The data on undocumented workers is nigh impossible to track due to the off-the-books nature of their employment, but a 2008 analysis from the Pew Hispanic Center found that at least 20 percent of all cooks in American restaurants were undocumented employees. For dishwashers, generally the lowest-paid employees in a restaurant, that proportion increases to nearly one-third.
Quote:
And most "crop pickers" aren't actually illegal, they get special agricultural work visas.
"The portion of hired farm workers who are not legally authorized to work in the U.S. fluctuates around 50%, according to the USDA Economic Research Service. The other half comprises legal U.S. citizens (33%) and green card holders." https://www.agriculture.com/farm-man...gal-immigrants

Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
This narrative from the Left that we have some type of actual "need" for illegal immigrants is just absolute nonsense.

There is nothing that illegals contribute to American society that is essential to our existence or our economy.

Every job that is preformed by an illegal can be and would be performed by an American if it is worthwhile and essential.
Not true. Americans will not go out and pick tomatoes or strawberries, etc. Your food is brought to you by a lot of migrant workers, many undocumented. That's what keeps prices low. California has been experiencing labor shortages in the fields for several years now. The earlier shortages may have been caused by the recession in the US. I remember a lot of us wondering, during the election, if anyone in Trump's camp knew that immigration was at a very low point even then. The state of Georgia experienced huge losses in agricultural profits when it instituted a crack down. I think that was in 2011. I think there are SOME jobs now done by a lot of undocumented workers that would be taken up by others if vacated. But certainly not all.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:53 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Sounds like a question that you should ask the officials of those cities who publicly declare themselves to be a sanctuary city.

Get them to tell you specifically what they will and won't do as far as cooperation with federal immigration agencies and laws and what their motivation behind that level of cooperation is.

There's a difference between a city that does not wish to spend the time and money to help enforce federal immigration laws and one that is purposely ignoring and or helping to prevent enforcement of those laws.
California has said, in law, that it will assist ICE with the deportation of CRIMINAL illegal aliens, but not with those who are innocent of crime. The reason is simple. Our cities are safer when people - ALL people - come forward to police to report crime and suspicious activity. If some people are afraid of being deported if they report a crime, they will not report it. Neither will they be witnesses to crimes they have seen. Neither will they cooperate with investigations. If everyone in a community helps the police, we will all be better off. So everyone needs to feel safe in doing so.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:58 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Sanctuary cities laws should go to the supreme court. No way this is constitutional. One of the few jobs of the federal government is immigration law. We don't owe anything to anyone from another country.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:02 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,023,728 times
we don't even know who's in the country

Old 11-19-2017, 06:03 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Not true. Americans will not go out and pick tomatoes or strawberries, etc. Your food is brought to you by a lot of migrant workers, many undocumented. That's what keeps prices low. California has been experiencing labor shortages in the fields for several years now. The earlier shortages may have been caused by the recession in the US. I remember a lot of us wondering, during the election, if anyone in Trump's camp knew that immigration was at a very low point even then. The state of Georgia experienced huge losses in agricultural profits when it instituted a crack down. I think that was in 2011. I think there are SOME jobs now done by a lot of undocumented workers that would be taken up by others if vacated. But certainly not all.
Experienced apple pickers make $28 an hour in Washington state.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:

I could have picked many replies in this thread to ask this but this one will do.

When does the Trump administration start going after the employers that hire these people as opposed to whining about things they can do nothing about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies