Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I will not name the companies, but go to the Diversity, or Hiring page in the HR section of any major company's website, and read what it says about hiring, and their hiring priorities. Want to be a Federal contractor? You better have the correct minimum percentage of minorities, and women, and prove it.
Not true on the bold. I worked as a contracting officer for a federal agency and we had many contractors who were 98% white or even 100% white male owned and employees. It was funny to me that many of the white contractors would complain about not winning a bid and claim that a minority beat them because the minority was a minority, when usually it was a white male owned company t hat won. Over 95% of all federal contracts are white male owned companies and most don't have a diverse workforce. They especially don't have a diverse workforce outside of the lowest level employees.

The bold is a common misconception about government contracting. They ask for the data but are not allowed to use it in the evaluation of proposals and especially not in sealed bids which are mostly based on price alone.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:52 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
It goes both ways anymore, just depends where you are and what the job is.

We've had several news articles in recent years about firefighting departments with nepotism\racism keeping blacks from making strides there (Chicago prime example) as well as lawsuits by white firefighters being passed over for promotions due to their race.

I've heard racism\sexism stories from my friends\family going both ways for years.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
im white, but i work at an all white company. I get pass over all the time for promotion, and i got more experience than anybody. its racist Im telling you, just plain racist
I'm shocked that your company hasn't hired any "unqualified" blacks lol.

Will note I agree with the sentiment expressed. Hiring is usually about the "good old boy" network and usually people hire/promote their friends or people they like over other people no matter their race.

I'm black and have a great network of all ethnic backgrounds and I guarantee that in certain places I've applied and were then employed at and during the time I ran my own company and I bid on jobs with government, I know I got the job primarily because people knew me and knew my work and that I was reliable. Other people or companies may have more experience, but knowing someone and having a history with them and especially knowing that they are good at what they do, is what is considered more than anything else. I've worked in companies that were nearly all black and had people complain about the same thing - lack of getting promoted especially. It was because the boss didn't personally like them.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You don't seem to know what nepotism or the good ole boy system are.
I know exactly what they are. LOL. Stop with the back handed insult trying to call me stupid. Unless you can refute what I'm saying, move along. And no, I will not participate in your semantics rabbit hole of "what is nepotism?" That's where you're going. You should know I see through all your tactics all the time. You never attack a subject head on. Always some fallacy, deflection, or tangent.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
He/she is not making anything up. As a mid level manager I have had to deal very much with AA and can vouch that less qualified blacks were given jobs over more qualified people. Tests were done away with. Posting of available jobs were done away with so people could not bid on promotions because they were going to be given to blacks.
Again, you're just saying this. LOL. Yall make stuff and call it fact all the time. You think they were less qualified because like I said, yall think every single black is on some kind of training wheels program. All the way up to the Obamas. And perhaps posting were done away with, because blacks were fairly beating people out. And as per usual, when white people can't compete they start going covert. What you said fits exactly into what I said. LOL. White people at your company couldn't compete fairly, so they had to start handpicking each other and stopped posting the jobs.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Colored lol sweet.

Anytime you lower standards, quality and effiency get worse. That's a basic economic premise. We saw that during the last economic collapse. Loan standars were lowered and we saw a big uptick in defaults.
"Colored lol sweet."

I use the term "colored" to prove the double standard and hypocrisy of the left and especially the black left.

Statues coming down, like Robert E. Lee, names being demanded that they be change becuae SOME people are "offended" like the Washington Redskins and it is supported by and are out in front of it by the National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People.

You are offended, so why haven't you complained to them to change THEIR name as they have protested and tried, successfully in many cases, to get names changed because some may be offended.

Shoouldn't THEY be setting the example?

If it is good enough for the premier association claiming to represent the black community, it is GOOD enough for you and me.

"Practice what you "preach" come to mind.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:35 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Do you care when white women use affirmative action to take jobs from white men? Because that's most likely "takin yerr jerb". Affirmative Action doesn't really take into account promotions and upward mobility in companies either. There are other threads on affirmative action anyways. We're talking about nepotism and good ole boys networks, which white men have used to keep themselves always a few steps ahead. Why aren't you fake outraging about this since it's unfair? Why are you only fake outraged the idea of a few black people earning entry level positions.
"Do you care when white women use affirmative action to take jobs from white men?"

Why would you assume something?

And YES I DO care.

"Affirmative Action doesn't really take into account promotions and upward mobility in companies either."

Yes it does. Sorry I witnessed it firsthand.

"We're talking about nepotism and good ole boys networks, which white men have used to keep themselves always a few steps ahead"

Nepotism has NOTHING to do with "keep themselves always a few steps ahead"

It IS about giving jobs to your family and friends.

nep·o·tism
ˈnepəˌtizəm/
noun
noun: nepotism
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nepo...nt=firefox-b-1

I worked in an 80% black area and ALL the black owned businesses ONLY hired BLACKS.

It is, always has been and will always continue to be.

Why would any business owner hire a stranger when they can hire a son or daughter of a friend who they KNOW what type of person they are?

I take it YOU never owned a business.

"
Why are you only fake outraged the idea of a few black people earning entry level positions"

You DON'T know me so QUIT trying to say things about me and making assumptions that are FLAT OUT LIES because of your OWN racism.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Again, you're just saying this. LOL. Yall make stuff and call it fact all the time. You think they were less qualified because like I said, yall think every single black is on some kind of training wheels program. All the way up to the Obamas. And perhaps posting were done away with, because blacks were fairly beating people out. And as per usual, when white people can't compete they start going covert. What you said fits exactly into what I said. LOL. White people at your company couldn't compete fairly, so they had to start handpicking each other and stopped posting the jobs.

Blacks were not doing very good on the tests for the jobs so the tests were done away with and the jobs were given to blacks. Government orders. truth hurts I guess. The posting was done away with because we had to put blacks into positions.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Blacks were not doing very good on the tests for the jobs so the tests were done away with and the jobs were given to blacks. Government orders. truth hurts I guess. The posting was done away with because we had to put blacks into positions.

Again, I'd like to know where you work so I can send some black people there since you give them all jobs lol.

On testing, there is a minimum score for all civil service employees and if you meet that minimum score then you are eligible for the job. I doubt you'd share where you work because I don't believe you since anyone can pass a civil service exam to work for a local government in specific departments. Usually when the folks in charge try to claim that blacks aren't passing tests it is because blacks just aren't applying for those jobs.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, I'd like to know where you work so I can send some black people there since you give them all jobs lol.

On testing, there is a minimum score for all civil service employees and if you meet that minimum score then you are eligible for the job. I doubt you'd share where you work because I don't believe you since anyone can pass a civil service exam to work for a local government in specific departments. Usually when the folks in charge try to claim that blacks aren't passing tests it is because blacks just aren't applying for those jobs.

This was done some years back when AA was going strong. I didn't work for the government. I worked for a large international company that had government contracts. Seems you are ignorant of the facts that happened dealing with AA and blacks then. And personally, I could not give a damn what you or anyone else believes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies