Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It's not just that the marijuana industry is now structurally part of the economy, what about the overcrowded prisons full of people busted for having a small amount of marijuana. Is this what the GOP wants to spend tax money on? Supporting non criminals who were victims of Draconian laws? This is absurd. The idiotic futile Drug War is a waste of money and everyone except Sessions seems to know this.

"...According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana...."
It is not so black and white. Here in Florida we do not put people in prison anymore for possession of less than 20 grams. People are ticketed instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It's not just that the marijuana industry is now structurally part of the economy, what about the overcrowded prisons full of people busted for having a small amount of marijuana. Is this what the GOP wants to spend tax money on? Supporting non criminals who were victims of Draconian laws? This is absurd. The idiotic futile Drug War is a waste of money and everyone except Sessions seems to know this.

"...According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana...."
The next thing - and this is so so Republican - is for them to make the prison sentences longer, fill the prisons and then privatize them. Marco Rubio gets a ton of donations from private prison companies.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Surprised this isn't here yet.

Jeff Sessions the Trump appointed Attorney General will announce today that he is rescinding a trio of memos from the Obama administration that adopted a policy of non-interference with marijuana-friendly state laws.

Sessions to rescind Obama-era rules on non-interference with states where pot is legal - CNNPolitics

Too much freedom for those States evidently!
Well, this development should make my trip home to Colorado after the holidays much more interesting.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We have a bunch of people from Florida moving to Washington state and saying Florida schools are terrible, so it's a matter of perspective.
It is their perspective that only WA schools are good. Those who are interested in facts know better.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well, this development should make my trip home to Colorado after the holidays much more interesting.
You better stock up while you can. I say this is a person who supports legal marijuana. We are probably going back to 50-state prohibition for another 20 years or so until the Moral Majority generation passes on.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:04 AM

1,330 posts, read 699,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is in the countries interest to not have it's citizens get hooked on dope. He is just putting things back they way they were before the pot head Obama decided to change things.

`
Hooked on dope? Ha. You mean all those red rural areas hooked on Meth, right?

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You better stock up while you can. I say this is a person who supports legal marijuana. We are probably going back to 50-state prohibition for another 20 years or so until the Moral Majority generation passes on.
Not A Chance.

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I don't use marijuana, so this decision is mostly irrelevant to me, but it should make for some interesting developments at home in the next few months. I'll be watching with popcorn as the battle lines are drawn.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Imagine if the conservatives walk the walk like the talk the talk about government intervention. The government shouldn't be telling me what I can and can not do wrt putting marijuana in my body, right?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
No we don't need democrats back in office or in control because they just bully the people and come down on people's freedoms in other regards.

What we need is democrats not controlled by the progressive left and republicans not controlled by the extreme right.

Took a chance on Trump because he seemed a outsider and a threat to both the left and right, in this regard for marijuana laws and his choice of Sessions it is a huge let down to me.

Can't wait until Sessions is no longer AG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies