Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 04:59 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The House of Representatives has just finished with this final vote, passing the bill with its "minor changes" 224-201. Now the House and Senate have both passed identical versions of the bill. The only thing left is for it to go to President Trump's desk for his signature, and it's a done deal.

Congratulations, President Trump. Sometimes you talk too much. But you delivered.
I don't know if you saw the press conference inside the White House with Pence and others fawning over Trump and thanking him for the bill, pretty sickening display of brown nosing. I don't think Trump even knows what's in the bill other than "it will be the best ever".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:39 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are assuming that the corporations will reward investors as a result of this tax cut and overseas money returning. When GW Bush gave companies amnesty back in 2003 to repatriate off shore funds guess where it went, stock buy backs and executive compensation. I'm not even sure that large corporations will even benefit since on average they pay in the low 20's.
Agree with all of this & is evidence-based on past performances to boot.

It's likely the lobbyists for large corporations will find new loopholes for their clients, after all, that's their job. Corporate entities have no responsibility to Country or to the people.

The 535 members of the US Congress are not doing their job if they continue to shirk their responsibilities & fiduciary obligations to the American people.

The lobbyists are the de facto legislators & represent 1% of US.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Swamped: More Than Half the Members of Washington’s Lobbying Corps Have Plunged Into the Tax Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What campaign promise? Draining the swamp? Oh yeah, Mueller is fulfilling that one. He's leading Trump's men out in handcuffs, one by one
Swamped: More Than Half the Members of Washington’s Lobbying Corps Have Plunged Into the Tax Debate

Quote:
...Conclusion

With their enormous complexity and high-stakes, tax issues are the buffet that keeps Washington’s swamp creatures fed. This undoubtedly costs a fortune. But the success of the nation’s largest corporations and wealthiest interests in shaping the current tax legislation to suit their interests shows that bankrolling the lobbyists’ unending feast is a small bill to pay in the big scheme of things – because it is a very big scheme, indeed.
https://www.sandersinstitute.com/blo...the-tax-debate

Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The House of Representatives has just finished with this final vote, passing the bill with its "minor changes" 224-201. Now the House and Senate have both passed identical versions of the bill. The only thing left is for it to go to President Trump's desk for his signature, and it's a done deal.

Congratulations, President Trump. Sometimes you talk too much. But you delivered.
He sure did.

A wonderful day.

MAGA:

Old 12-21-2017, 05:20 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Swamped: More Than Half the Members of Washington’s Lobbying Corps Have Plunged Into the Tax Debate

https://www.sandersinstitute.com/blo...the-tax-debate
I wonder if they are the same lobbyist who worked to get O Care passed.

Nary a complaint from anyone dem on here then.

It is MIND BLOWING to read so many complaint from the left about things being done NOW, yet not a peep when the Obama admin did the EXACT SAME THING.

I think the word "hypocrite" is right beside the definitions of a dem in the dictionary.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:55 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't know if you saw the press conference inside the White House with Pence and others fawning over Trump and thanking him for the bill, pretty sickening display of brown nosing. I don't think Trump even knows what's in the bill other than "it will be the best ever".

I will paste here what I just wrote in another thread:

During the love-fest yesterday, in which various Republicans heaped praise upon President Trump (for they know, as does Putin and others, that he responds well to over-the-top praise), some Republicans may have wished that Mr. Trump had not spoken.

Recall when Mr. Trump initially praised the House's 'repeal Obamacare' bill, only to thereafter (within a very few days) say that he didn't like the bill because it was 'mean spirited'? I had said then, look for Democrats to bring this up for the mid-term elections.

So, yesterday Mr. Trump gave the Democrats more fodder, saying (note third paragraph):

"The individual mandate is being repealed. When the individual mandate is being repealed, that means Obamacare is being repealed because they get their money from the individual mandate. So the individual mandate is being repealed.

So in this bill, not only do we have massive tax cuts and tax reform, we have essentially repealed Obamacare and we’ll come up with something that will be much better. Whether it’s block grants or whether it’s taking what we have and doing something terrific. But Obamacare has been repealed in this bill.

We didn’t want to bring it up. I told people specifically, be quiet with the fake news media because I don’t want them talking too much about it because I didn’t know how people — but now that it’s approved I can say, the individual mandate on healthcare, where you had to pay not to have insurance — okay think of that one, you paid not to have insurance — the individual mandate has been repealed."

Now, ignoring the fact that Obamacare was not repealed (indeed, the individual mandate is still the law of the land; Congress merely removed the tax penalty for not complying), we have Mr. Trump stating that he had advised the Republicans to not speak of this part of the tax bill (which they did not, although the news media did report on it). The word 'transparency' does not spring to mind.

Do not for a second think the Democrats won't bring this up. "I don't want them talking too much about it because I didn't know how people..." It seems even Mr. Trump may have realized he was going a bit too far. What was he going to say? How people 'would take it' or such?

Mr. Trump also admitted that the deep corporate tax cut was 'probably the biggest factor' in the tax plan. Not middle America. Proven by the fact that the corporate tax cut is permanent, those for average Americans, temporary.

Oh, yes, Mr. Trump again gave Democrats something to talk about come November.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I wonder if they are the same lobbyist who worked to get O Care passed.

Nary a complaint from anyone dem on here then.

It is MIND BLOWING to read so many complaint from the left about things being done NOW, yet not a peep when the Obama admin did the EXACT SAME THING.

I think the word "hypocrite" is right beside the definitions of a dem in the dictionary.
If you'd like to look into any of these issues further, I'd recommend the Open Secrets website. Of course, the SCOTUS's decision in Citizens United limits transparency however it's a good place to start.

Here's a start:

Quote:
...The health sector's lobbying efforts, have yet to match the more than $552 million it spent in 2009. In 2013, these interests spent more than $483 million on lobbying, more than $226 million of which came from the pharmaceutical industry. That industry includes the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America, Eli Lilly, Amgen and Pfizer, each of which spent more than $8 million on lobbying in 2013. Other top lobbying spenders in the health sector include the American Hospital Association, which spent more than $19 million and the American Medical Association, which spent more than $18 million on lobbying in 2013. ...
https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/in...id=H&year=2017

Keep in mind since Citizens United, we the people cannot be sure who, including foreign nationals, & how much money is being used to influence, & write our legislation. Money not only talks it screams, & of course, corrupts.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
I could have sworn Wall Street would have liked the tax bill, but it closed negative yesterday, and its down again today.......

Old 12-21-2017, 08:19 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Our taxes have an end date, corporations don't. Someone has to pay for the deficit so I guess it falls on the middle class. That's not winning to me. I'm sure democrats will fix this in the next election.
Yeah, just like when Democrats fixed deficit spending when Obama was president...

LOL!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I could have sworn Wall Street would have liked the tax bill, but it closed negative yesterday, and its down again today.......
They, too, know Dems and the left are lying about WHO benefits. You're talking about the quants who have crunched the numbers. Even they know it's NOT the rich who benefit.

The Quants: Meet the Kings of Wall Street

Don't be so easily mislead by lefty manipulative rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies