Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 05:57 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
The person(s) with the widest billfold.

Certainly lobbyist should be recognised as equally guilty & filthy.
They are the de facto legislators here & elsewhere. Simply recognizing would likely do wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Ah, well, it is done (or will be this morning). We shall hope for the best, and hope that there are not unforeseen consequences. This tax reform is an economic stimulus, which, in theory, is best done when there is a real need, not while the economy, in President Trump's opinion, is going great.

I do like to write of unintended consequences. As we know, this tax reform act jettisoned the 'individual mandate' of Obamacare. I recall when the Supreme Court in the Sebelius decision ruled that the 'penalty' for individuals not signing up was actually a 'tax'. How some CD conservatives howled!

Yet, by calling it a tax, that allowed Congress to easily repeal said mandate in the current tax bill. Indeed, from my understanding, by doing so it freed up money for the tax cuts to corporations and individuals. If it had been a penalty, they could not have done so.

Anyway, I am glad that Congress reduced the tax brackets as promised. Wait, there were seven, and there are still seven.

I do feel for President Trump, whom has repeatedly claimed that this tax reform bill will cost him a lot of money. I can't quite figure out how, so perhaps someone could explain the math to me. I thought that the top rate was lowered from 39.6 percent to 37 percent, which one would think would mean less tax paid by the President. Again, I would enjoy someone explaining how Mr. Trump is going to lose money.
As for the last part, seriously, how would anyone know when he continues to hide his tax forms? (Although Mr. Mueller has likely had them for months now)

Old 12-20-2017, 06:01 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Ah, well, it is done (or will be this morning). We shall hope for the best, and hope that there are not unforeseen consequences. This tax reform is an economic stimulus, which, in theory, is best done when there is a real need, not while the economy, in President Trump's opinion, is going great.

I do like to write of unintended consequences. As we know, this tax reform act jettisoned the 'individual mandate' of Obamacare. I recall when the Supreme Court in the Sebelius decision ruled that the 'penalty' for individuals not signing up was actually a 'tax'. How some CD conservatives howled!

Yet, by calling it a tax, that allowed Congress to easily repeal said mandate in the current tax bill. Indeed, from my understanding, by doing so it freed up money for the tax cuts to corporations and individuals. If it had been a penalty, they could not have done so.

Anyway, I am glad that Congress reduced the tax brackets as promised. Wait, there were seven, and there are still seven.

I do feel for President Trump, whom has repeatedly claimed that this tax reform bill will cost him a lot of money. I can't quite figure out how, so perhaps someone could explain the math to me. I thought that the top rate was lowered from 39.6 percent to 37 percent, which one would think would mean less tax paid by the President. Again, I would enjoy someone explaining how Mr. Trump is going to lose money.
How? The limit on the SALT (State And Local Taxes - real estate tax, state income tax, etc.) deduction means Trump and every other wealthy and/or high income individual will pay more.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:04 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Anyone who has any kind of retirement plan, 401K, PENSION, (public or private), self-funded will benefits. Even companies buying back some stock - which will happen - will benefit anyone in the forgoing. Unsupportable idiocy to contend otherwise. But, go ahead, step off the curb into on-coming traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
lol, people actually think prices they pay in the store will be lower now. When has that ever happened? Corporations are awash with money and will use this new tax cut for stock buybacks and dividends, not giving Joe Sixpack a break at the store! LOL!

Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 AM

No loopholes closed, just the same old circular ideology.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
State and local tax deduction limit is the loophole closed.

No honesty.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So does the middle class. To the point that they are willing to accept having less disposable income and a lower standard of living than the US middle class has.

There's research on that, too:

How middle classes in U.S., Western Europe compare | Pew Research Center
Pew is as biased as the day is long.

look at their methodology.

522 repubs polled
769 Dem/ind polled

When you poll a LOT MORE dems and ind then repubs the "results" will ALWAYS be the same.

With the repubs controlling a large majority of state legislatures, the WH, the Senate and the House of Representative's , how in the world can you poll LESS repubs than others and claim to be unbiased?

Sorry, PEW has NO credibility.
"
The following table shows the unweighted sample sizes and the error attributable to sampling that would be expected at the 95% level of confidence for different groups in the survey:

Old 12-20-2017, 06:11 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
There is no such thing as a tax loophole. Only tax law and tax law provisions. It is only a lie by liberals and progressives who insist on using misleading language. Dunderheads prefer to not use tax law and tax law provisions if applicable. A fool and her money is soon parted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

Old 12-20-2017, 06:12 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Nat, you'll have to ask former President Obama why he added so many trillions, (6?, 10?, bunches for sure), to the national debt.
Congress authorizes spending, just FYI. Why do you think Rand Paul was raving at his own party for authorizing spending which will add $10 trillion to the debt?

Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How? The limit on the SALT (State And Local Taxes - real estate tax, state income tax, etc.) deduction means Trump and every other wealthy and/or high income individual will pay more.
If you saw Trump's disclosure he owns hundreds of LLC's that will now get additional preferential tax treatment, particularly real estate. We don't exactly know he claims since we have not seen his taxes but he will benefit greatly. SALT is just one aspect and was previously limited through the AMT for those with large deductions, that is not the case on business holdings to any degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies