Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 05:45 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
lol, people actually think prices they pay in the store will be lower now. When has that ever happened? Corporations are awash with money and will use this new tax cut for stock buybacks and dividends, not giving Joe Sixpack a break at the store! LOL!
"lol, people actually think prices they pay in the store will be lower now."

Speak for yourself.

I don't know of a single reasonable person who believes that.

Lower taxes SPURS the economy which increases demand and companies have to hire MORE to supply the demand.

The additional employment and spending INCREASES the revenues the gov't collects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The US doesn't annually tax wealth, it taxes income. Everyone who has any income should be paying federal income tax.

The fact is that currently more than 45% of 1040 filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever. Note that percentage excludes children and seniors with SS income only as they aren't required to file since they don't meet the minimum income required to do so.
"excludes children and seniors with SS income only as they aren't required to file since they don't meet the minimum income required to do so."

MOST seniors do NOT fit into that category.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:48 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Too bad for US, this administration didn't consider some of the ideas for tax reform proposed by the previous administration:

Quote:
America’s system of business taxation is in need of reform. The United States has a relatively narrow corporate tax base compared to other countries—a tax base reduced by loopholes, tax expenditures, and tax planning. The resulting system distorts choices, such as where to produce, what to invest in, how to finance a business, and what business form to use. And it does too little to encourage job creation and investment in the United States while allowing firms to benefit from incentives to locate production and shift profits overseas. The system is also too complicated—especially for America’s small businesses.

In 2012, the White House and the Treasury Department released The President’s Framework for Business Tax Reform, outlining the need for reform of the business tax system and presenting the five elements of reform as envisioned by the President: eliminating loopholes and subsidies to broaden the base and lower the rate, strengthening American manufacturing and innovation, strengthening the international tax system, simplifying and cutting taxes for America’s small businesses, and restoring fiscal responsibility without adding to the deficit.
https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...04-04-2016.pdf

Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The tax cuts for the rich are paid for by tax increases for working stiffs like yourself in addition to cuts in programs you rely on. Thats the bottom line.
" Thats the bottom line"

You need to widen your sources for "news"!

Old 12-20-2017, 05:49 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"lol, people actually think prices they pay in the store will be lower now."

Speak for yourself.

I don't know of a single reasonable person who believes that.

Lower taxes SPURS the economy which increases demand and companies have to hire MORE to supply the demand.

The additional employment and spending INCREASES the revenues the gov't collects.
Companies hire more when there is more demand, just lowering taxes does not create demand. We have plenty examples of supply side economics failure but here we go again.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:50 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
President Bush's tax cuts were schedule to sunset during President Obama's term. Nevah happened. Common with sunset provisions. Called kicking the can down the road.

For those with the urge to scratch the CHIP meme? A) CHIP is two year funding authorization, thus is different. B) it is a jointly funded, STATE and FEDERAL, program. C) No state has yet to change their CHIP program. A possibility only. Plenty of time to reauthorize spending. D) STATES have had plenty of notice, ~5 months, in which to prepare contingency plans. Such scaredy cat, sham fear tactic by liberal/progressives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Our taxes have an end date, corporations don't. Someone has to pay for the deficit so I guess it falls on the middle class. That's not winning to me. I'm sure democrats will fix this in the next election.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I can agree with much here. Although it's worth noting lobbyists are the ones writing, & continuously amending the bill. Whose interests are they representing?
The person(s) with the widest billfold.

Certainly lobbyist should be recognised as equally guilty & filthy.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:55 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"excludes children and seniors with SS income only as they aren't required to file since they don't meet the minimum income required to do so."

MOST seniors do NOT fit into that category.
A significant percentage does:

• Among elderly Social Security beneficiaries, 23% of married couples and about 43% of
    unmarried persons rely on Social Security for 90% or more of their income
https://www.ssa.gov/news/press/facts...icfact-alt.pdf

Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Ah, well, it is done (or will be this morning). We shall hope for the best, and hope that there are not unforeseen consequences. This tax reform is an economic stimulus, which, in theory, is best done when there is a real need, not while the economy, in President Trump's opinion, is going great.

I do like to write of unintended consequences. As we know, this tax reform act jettisoned the 'individual mandate' of Obamacare. I recall when the Supreme Court in the Sebelius decision ruled that the 'penalty' for individuals not signing up was actually a 'tax'. How some CD conservatives howled!

Yet, by calling it a tax, that allowed Congress to easily repeal said mandate in the current tax bill. Indeed, from my understanding, by doing so it freed up money for the tax cuts to corporations and individuals. If it had been a penalty, they could not have done so.

Anyway, I am glad that Congress reduced the tax brackets as promised. Wait, there were seven, and there are still seven.

I do feel for President Trump, whom has repeatedly claimed that this tax reform bill will cost him a lot of money. I can't quite figure out how, so perhaps someone could explain the math to me. I thought that the top rate was lowered from 39.6 percent to 37 percent, which one would think would mean less tax paid by the President. Again, I would enjoy someone explaining how Mr. Trump is going to lose money.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Nat, you'll have to ask former President Obama why he added so many trillions, (6?, 10?, bunches for sure), to the national debt. Oh, and while you are at it ask Mr Obama why he made permanent Mr Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm actually at a loss. Why are Republicans adding to our deficit. Why are they giving the rich more tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies