Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Yes, you're right about that.

Living in Southern California, I don't see many gangsta wannabe whites.

But I'm sure they exist elsewhere.
Even small towns have their dumbass whites that try to act tough when they are not. If not known as "gangstas", they are simply called bullies. Thing is in small towns they will usually run into a rancher or cowboy that will groundpound them and the behavior changes. There are a few white people that deserve the title of "ignorant redneck". Just as there are a small number of blacks that deserve a derogatory racial title. It's not race, economic state or their choice in entertainment (NASCAR or Rap-you pick). It's their actions and attitudes.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:19 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
No, long-ago government practices do not explain residential segregation in 2017 America. And the only "white privilege" involved here is the privilege of not being tainted by association with the kind of anti-social behavior and outright criminality that deters would be home buyers.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
I remember back in the sixties when people talked about "prejudice."

Being racist then meant that you were prejudiced against someone (you pre-judged them) simply because of their race.

I thought that was a good term to use, because it focused on individuals instead of on groups.

You could have an opinion about a group, but recognize that people are individuals and should always be judged on that basis.

I remember in a high school history class being criticized by my teacher because I had called for tolerance of other races. He said no, you should love them.

Really? Love is not a "should". You either love something or you don't.

This kind of pressure is what has brought us to our current state of racial discord.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
We are all privileged to live in the USA.

Shame on those who want to divide us based on race.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:31 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
There is some discrimination and that is wrong, but its also true that all people have some advantages over others in different situations. Its not "privilege". People just like to highlight their supposed disadvantages and prefer to ignore the advantages. We see people might think "white privilege" is a thing, but as soon as we move to "heterosexual privilege" or "tall privilege" these same people suddenly object to that being a thing because then they are in the "oppressor group". An Asian is not privileged if he is a member of a group that gets shot and killed by the police at much lower rates than whites and other groups. To label all disadvantages black people might have as "white privilege" is quite ridiculous.

Its funny how the people who are so obsessed with these things tend to vote for "republican light" Democrats that seek to transfer more power and wealth into the hands of a tiny elite. Notice how corporate media, owned by 4 or 5 huge corporations, is full of this stuff. They are not in the business of fighting for "justice"! They are just playing the divide and rule game.

Last edited by PCALMike; 12-21-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm sorry you lived through that. Many young women that get knocked up without a long term commitment don't realize that raising kids is both one of the hardest things they'll ever do, but also one of the most expensive. It's also sad that we have a culture where far too many young (and not so young) men accept no responsibility for their actions. It's tough enough when two people are contributing. Sadly-that's something that is far too common in both black and white families.

Sadly, getting pregnant at a young age, especially with kids from multiple, non-contributing men, is virtually a form of child abuse. Yet the guilty are rewarded these days.
Eh, they were teenagers still in high school when they got married. I don’t blame my dad, especially considering I had many friends in exactly the same situation. That generation didn’t know how to handle divorce. Their parents didn’t do that. The courts didn’t know how to handle it either.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
So Mr. Rothstein's solution to this injustice that occurred 70 years ago is for government to give money to black people to buy houses in white suburbs today. Will this be limited to certain areas, or any suburbs?

The subsidies would have to make up for the loss in property value had they been able to buy suburban homes in the 1950s, so that would be hundreds of thousands of dollars per family. Maybe the government could house some poor black families in Mr. Rothstein's neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:34 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Unlike you (im guessing), I grew up in a black area(i am also black myself), walking anywhere with 3 black people behind you isnt a big deal to me. Your life experiences may be different.

That being said, white privilege has nothing to do with that, at least not in the context of the video the OP posted.

if you want to talk about the broader issue of "what is racism/racial" thats fine, but that isnt what we are talking about here in this thread, and that is why I asked for a clarification from the last part.

Surly if you watched the video, I doubt you would say " im ok with people not giving loans to black people"
“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

Jessie Jackson.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:06 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Why don't we stick to the things Obama did, but still was able to get elected and re-elected president.

Things like lying about Obamacare letting you keep your doctor and your health plan, and Benghazi being about a video.

Things like Solyndra being used to funnel taxpayer money to his supporters, the IRS targeting of conservative groups, turning Libya into a failed state full of terrorists, pushing for an economic "stimulus" that was nothing more than funneling $700,000,000,000 in taxpayer money to his political allies, criticizing Christians right after a murder by Muslim terrorists, going on an apology tour and putting down America overseas, saying that the Cambridge Police "acted stupidly" while admitting that he didn't know what had happened between them and Professor Gates, violating the law by his own admission with DACA, sending pallets of cash to Iran, trading five high level terrorists for an American deserter, stonewalling congressional oversight -- you know, stuff that actually matters

Obama was the most pampered president this country has ever had. And the most undeserving of all the praise he got from the lapdog media.
Thank you for saying what needed to be said, even though they will turn a blind eye.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 AM

393 posts, read 409,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So you support racism and discrimination or did you just not know what white privilege was ???
No such thing as "white privilege". Unless of course you consider; most college scholarships are designed for ethnic peoples, affirmative action and quota numbers preferring ethnic peoples.

White privilege is a made up term by people that major in: urban studies, African American Literature, Poli Sci, Sociology, and other liberal arts degrees.

Picture this...If a black male is walking through a white neighborhood someone will report him to police etc...If a white male is walking through a black neighborhood, he will get beat. Must be privilege, or is it envy?

White privilege is just discrimination on a culture, a lifestyle. The stereotypical "white" way. Now this mold fits many demographics, and that "working" middle class culture does not discriminate based on race/culture. You either produce or you take. Thus "white privilege" is just a racist way of describing white people who just want to work, raise their families, and be left alone. Again, I believe that this "white privilege" mantra is merely envy, or an excuse to explain away a defeatist culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies