Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
I gotta say, this really does tickle my funny bone.

I don't blame the priest, and think the parents need a little soul searching, for a number of reasons.

1. According to the bible, even the smallest of lies is a sin.
2. Santa is NOT what the season is about (neither is gift giving, christmas tress, egg nog, love songs about how cold it is, etc)
3. Santa and gift giving represents a commercialization of a very serious religious holiday.

People just love to go around telling others to remember the reason for the season, and keep Christ in Christmas.....but then get made if their children are told that a man made construct that has nothing to do with christmas is not real. Even if it's coming from a priest...you know, the guys you'd expect to be all about honesty and sticking to the real reasons behind christmas.
well, like I said,

The very bottom line is just that, it's not right to destroy childrens' dreams and it's not their place to do so. Priest or public school teachers, make no difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
...and keep Christ in Christmas.....
Even that is debatable as to whether it is the proper and correct thing for Christians to do:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...al-faiths.html
https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/wh...rate-christmas

Old 12-21-2017, 02:39 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I'll bet you the best steak house dinner that the teacher was your typically leftwing hating feminist.

Mother outraged after teacher tells students Santa isn’t real | myfox8.com
Whoa. What the truck? Santa isn't real?!?!

*sobs uncontrollably*

OH MY GOD!!! WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP LYING TO ME!?!?

Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM

693 posts, read 357,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, like I said,

The very bottom line is just that, it's not right to destroy childrens' dreams and it's not their place to do so. Priest or public school teachers, make no difference.

What about TV, movies, commercials, stores, etc?

First, a teacher was crossing the line. Now, even a priest needs to lie, in order to avoid crossing this line (strange that we'd expect a priest to keep up a facade that goes against what he preaches).
So what's next? TV and movies cross the line? Stores that decorate and advertise for parents to buy gifts for their children for christmas?

I just want to understand all of this. Do everyone need to keep from crossing some imaginary line (boundary if you will), just to avoid pissing off a very small group of people because their children still believe in santa (although most in that age bracket no longer believe).

And, you said it wasn't about santa per-se, but about boundaries....so we don't cross these boundaries either for the tooth fairy, easter bunny...or even mickey mouse (as someone mentioned). So, I gotta ask, do teachers, priest, tv, movies, commercials, books, stores ect....that let's any of those cats out the bag....are they all going to far and crossing the lines?

Where does it end?

Old 12-21-2017, 02:45 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Considering how poorly kids test these days, I would think they wouldn't be discussing Santa at all. Homeschooling grows more popular everyday, only 36% of parents homeschool for religious or moral reasons. Sadly, this isn't the worst of what kids will hear in school.

An accurate fact in public school? That is kind of funny really as that might be one of the few accurate facts the kids will learn in school these days.

There are conversations that school employees should avoid, Santa is one of many that they need to keep their traps shut about!
The best public schools destroy homeschooling when it comes to acceptances at top universities.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, like I said,

Best that priest just kept his conversation about hell.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
What about TV, movies, commercials, stores, etc?

First, a teacher was crossing the line. Now, even a priest needs to lie, in order to avoid crossing this line (strange that we'd expect a priest to keep up a facade that goes against what he preaches).
So what's next? TV and movies cross the line? Stores that decorate and advertise for parents to buy gifts for their children for christmas?

I just want to understand all of this. Do everyone need to keep from crossing some imaginary line (boundary if you will), just to avoid pissing off a very small group of people because their children still believe in santa (although most in that age bracket no longer believe).

And, you said it wasn't about santa per-se, but about boundaries....so we don't cross these boundaries either for the tooth fairy, easter bunny...or even mickey mouse (as someone mentioned). So, I gotta ask, do teachers, priest, tv, movies, commercials, books, stores ect....that let's any of those cats out the bag....are they all going to far and crossing the lines?

Where does it end?
Evoluton

Old 12-21-2017, 03:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it is a fact but it is also a magical time for families, mom and dads as well as the kids.
Actually, for many people, it's not a magical time. For instance, the suicide rate goes up. That's no reason for you or anyone else to stop enjoying Christmas, but insisting that it's a magical time for all is a real distortion of reality. Kinda like insisting that everyone pretend that Santa exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If, for whatever reason a family does not want their kids to believe in Santa that is their choice, but my point though I guess I didn't put it correctly was the teacher was out of place. She really had no business saying anything. If some child has asked her she should have said, gee I just don't really know. Ask you mommy and daddy or something similar. I don't remember, from seeing the video that any of the kids asked her about Santa.
Maybe. But I learned many things in school that my parents didn't know, and a few things that my parents told me contravened what they called "common sense". They were, in fact, wrong. Now I knew, from an early age, that my parents, through no fault of their own, had substandard educations. I never blamed for that. But I did blame them for refusing to grapple with knowledge that was new to them. My growing realization that I could not rely on them for objective facts had detrimental effects on our relationship that never healed.

Children are quite adept at playing "let's pretend", knowing full well what reality is. They're right - it's fun. There's nothing harmful at all about joining in a mass "let's pretend" game about Santa. There is something very wrong though about an adult that makes a big deal about insisting on controlling her child's belief in Santa.

I actually think that a child being upset about finding out that Santa isn't real presents a great learning opportunity. A parent could explain how something/someone that isn't objectively real can nevertheless signify an important emotional truth. Or a parent might teach her children that from Day 1 - Santa isn't real the way that Uncle Leonard is real, but Santa is real because he's a way for us to teach, learn, and express generosity.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-21-2017 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 03:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
So, she felt it was her job to break the child from their innocents.
I seriously don't know how I would have handled that, had it happened to our daughter while she was still young and innocent. I may have wound up in jail over it in this Communist Progressive place I live in mostly.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
The best public schools destroy homeschooling when it comes to acceptances at top universities.
Of coarse, they have not had the prerequisite, indoctrination into Communism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies