Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm ignoring your question because I think its preposterous to be quite frank. Again, teachers don't HAVE to tell kids Santa is real or not real.
What if the student asks the teacher during science class if it is possible for reindeer to fly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 08:50 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What if the student asks the teacher during science class if it is possible for reindeer to fly?
Great opportunity to talk about the science of flying.

Not, "Um, NO. OBVIOUSLY, reindeer can't fly. That whole thing is fake!"

Old 12-21-2017, 09:03 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah, you are being a little dramatic. I certainly agree with the other poster.
Why did you bold that part?

You're telling me that believing in Santa is better than knowing you have loving parents providing presents and cheer to you at Christmas?

I'm not sure I'd call it "dramatic" to point out to people that when your children are outside of the house, things are out of your control - but hey, that's your right to feel that way. Kind of funny considering the entire premise of this thread is the product of dramatic parents throwing a fit over this (but yeah, I'm the "dramatic" one ).

I'll add that I actually never, anywhere, excused the lady for spoiling fun for those kids. I wouldn't have done that myself (although 3rd grade is on the older side of "believing'). I'm just politely pointing out that it is a little silly to expect things like Santa to remain a fairytale if you're gonna send your kid to public school.

The minute you let your kid out of the house, you relinquish that control. They're going to learn things at school that you probably would rather they not know about. And usually it's not even going to come from the adults (you're way more likely to get that kind of info from other kids). This is just reality.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:06 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

You're telling me that believing in Santa is better than knowing you have loving parents providing presents and cheer to you at Christmas?

I'm not sure I'd call it "dramatic" to point out to people that when your children are outside of the house, things are out of your control - but hey, that's your right to feel that way. Kind of funny considering the entire premise of this thread is the product of dramatic parents throwing a fit over this (but yeah, I'm the "dramatic" one ).

I'll add that I actually never, anywhere, excused the lady for spoiling fun for those kids. I wouldn't have done that myself (although 3rd grade is on the older side of "believing'). I'm just politely pointing out that it is a little silly to expect things like Santa to remain a fairytale if you're gonna send your kid to public school.

The minute you let your kid out of the house, you relinquish that control. They're going to learn things at school that you probably would rather they not know about. And usually it's not even going to come from the adults (you're way more likely to get that money of info from other kids). This is just reality.
well, then we have reached an agreement. (the bold)

The rest of your post is kind of pointless as long as you understand the bold

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-21-2017 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 09:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
OR ... are parents out of line to be encouraging 8 year-olds to believe in Santa?
No.

It's up to the parents.

It's illegal not to provide State-approved "education" for a child. Just follow the curriculum.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Have to go by State-approved curriculum.

You folks love your daddy government. Abide by its rules.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No.

It's up to the parents.

It's illegal not to provide State-approved "education" for a child. Just follow the curriculum.
Even for you, this is a bit much. I definitely agree what the lady for wasn't exactly cool (I wouldn't have), but illegal? Lol.

If that is really the angle you're going with, anything Christmas-related would be deemed illegal, yes? No xmas decorations, no xmas plays, none of that. You'd support that?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:14 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:

The minute you let your kid out of the house, you relinquish that control. They're going to learn things at school that you probably would rather they not know about. And usually it's not even going to come from the adults (you're way more likely to get that kind of info from other kids). This is just reality.
Why do you think parents who do the Santa thing don't label presents from both Santa and themselves?

Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Even for you, this is a bit much. I definitely agree what the lady for wasn't exactly cool (I wouldn't have), but illegal? Lol.

If that is really the angle you're going with, anything Christmas-related would be deemed illegal, yes? No xmas decorations, no xmas plays, none of that. You'd support that?
I'm talking about the fact that you must "educate" your child as the State sees fit...hence the word compulsory.

You get the cage if you don't send your kids to school and aren't "educating" them at home.

10 Merced parents arrested for childrens' school absences | Merced Sun-Star

Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
Gee, twenty-four pages of adults arguing about Santa Claus.

Must be a slow week on the CD Politics & Other Controversies Forum....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies