Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 01:19 PM

8,431 posts, read 7,731,284 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure Santa Claus isn't angry at this teacher for spilling the beans about him.

So, why should anyone else be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 01:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,915,882 times
Here it is folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrC56CwiNo

Old 12-21-2017, 01:20 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,858,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh for heaven's sake.

Those third graders already know. Regardless of what their parents fool themselves into believing about their children.

I was disillusioned of the Santa idea when I was in first grade - by all the other kids on the school bus. This would have occurred about 1953, and absolutely none of those kids were a "...typically leftwing hating feminist..."

Yeah I thought a 9 year old believing in Santa was a little strange. Crap I hate labels, troll rhetoric, and simple minded opinions. How do we know who voted for who or what their political affiliation is?

Thank you for a very sane and thoughtful post.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:22 PM

39,502 posts, read 27,859,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Where do you draw the line? Again, especially by a certain age, a teacher doesn't propagate fairy tales, nor do they "keep their mouths shut on it".

News flash....in case you haven't been paying attention, at 3rd grade, they are ALREADY watching movies and tv shows that mention that santa is not real. They are ALREADY seeing commercials aimed at parents to get certain toys for them for christmas.

So, I ask, at what age, do we draw that line? It's ok for pretty much every single outlet to talk about santa not being real....but teachers, you know, they ones dealing in education....have to keep their mouths shut?

lol, this is comical.
I have a friend who was adopted. He had been told Santa was real by his adoptive parents. He figured out Santa wasn't real by the age of 4 or 5, but he never confronted the new parents because he knew their love was real.

Sometimes, Santa was not just a santa. You don't know each family dynamic.

It is one thing when one child came up to you and asked, "Mr, fbernard, is Santa real?"

It is quite another situation when you announced, "Santa is not real, deal with it." in a classroom.

Again, it is the boundary issue you might want to think about. This topic has nothing to do with Christmas, Religion, conservative, or liberal, it is about children's feeling, family dynamic, tradition, and most importantly, boundary.

Like you said, most children already knew Santa wasn't real anyway, then why announce it? what is the purpose behind it?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,457,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I think it's good that children receive an education, yes.

I recognize your need for dominance, telling me what I believe and approve of

Parents have the right to home school
If they choose not to, then public education should provide facts and not indoctrinate politically or religiously.

Why is that controversial?
Irony: the statist telling the anarchist he has a "need for dominance".

The teacher should have just kept his/her mouth shut on Santa. Stick to the curriculum. It's government approved therefore it's infallible. I learned that in public schools too.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM

693 posts, read 359,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yeah I thought a 9 year old believing in Santa was a little strange. Crap I hate labels, troll rhetoric, and simple minded opinions. How do we know who voted for who or what their political affiliation is?

Thank you for a very sane and thoughtful post.

Exactly. The whole purpose of the thread starter, was to try to pin this chest pounding outrage on yet another action coming from the evil liberals (ignoring the fact that many christians themselves don't want to teach their children that Santa is real, because 1, it's a lie and 2, christmas is about Jesus, not Santa).

Old 12-21-2017, 01:24 PM

12,072 posts, read 5,963,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think the teacher was way out of line. Most kids probably DO know by third grade - but they are still pretending so it's more fun for everyone.
Wow for once I agree with Ringo! Not up to any teacher to disclose that there's no Santa, Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy. I actually know a couple of families whose kids still believed in Santa Claus up until the 4th grade. They grow up too fast as it is - let them be kids for awhile.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM

693 posts, read 359,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have a friend who was adopted. He had been told Santa was real by his adopted children. He figured out Santa wasn't real by the age of 4 or 5, but he never confronted the new parents because he knew their love was real.

Sometimes, Santa was not just a santa. You don't know each family dynamic.

It is one thing when one child came up to you and asked, "Mr, fbernard, is Santa real?"

It is quite another situation when you announced, "Santa is not real, deal with it." in a classroom.

Again, it is the boundary issue you might want to think about.

But again....where do you draw the line? It seems like everyone that is ganging up on this teacher here, is ignoring that question.

Where do you draw the line? At what age? At what grade? Are teachers never to mention that a fairy tale is fake, out of fear of that one parent among hundreds of parents that take issue with this?
TV shows, movies, etc that are aimed at children this age, don't hide the fact that Santa isn't real....so why should educators, you know, they ones that we actually rely on teaching us facts be any different?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,741,809 times
Not the teacher's job. Stop this social engineering and start teaching kids how to read, do math, learn history and science.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 PM

39,502 posts, read 27,859,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
But again....where do you draw the line? It seems like everyone that is ganging up on this teacher here, is ignoring that question.

Where do you draw the line? At what age? At what grade? Are teachers never to mention that a fairy tale is fake, out of fear of that one parent among hundreds of parents that take issue with this?
TV shows, movies, etc that are aimed at children this age, don't hide the fact that Santa isn't real....so why should educators, you know, they ones that we actually rely on teaching us facts be any different?
I don't think everybody is saying this teacher said something wrong, I think most people are saying this teacher crossed the line. It is not a proper way to bond with the children she teachers, that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies