Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 01:30 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,650,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Where do you draw the line? Again, especially by a certain age, a teacher doesn't propagate fairy tales, nor do they "keep their mouths shut on it".

News flash....in case you haven't been paying attention, at 3rd grade, they are ALREADY watching movies and tv shows that mention that santa is not real. They are ALREADY seeing commercials aimed at parents to get certain toys for them for christmas.

So, I ask, at what age, do we draw that line? It's ok for pretty much every single outlet to talk about santa not being real....but teachers, you know, they ones dealing in education....have to keep their mouths shut?

lol, this is comical.
It’s not about that. Everyone realizes that by 3rd grade most kids know a lot more than in past decades. Even if a kid knows Santa isn’t real, that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun for them to have imaginary fantasies about Christmas.... just like when they go to Disneyland, same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM

45,570 posts, read 60,857,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I was sent to a strict parochial grade school as a child. We were told straight up that Santa was fabricated by Satan to take away from baby Jesus. That is my basis for my statement.

How did I "smear" others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMrC56CwiNo
You smear others in almost every thread you're in.

You grew up with a different flavor of Catholic than I did.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:36 PM

39,336 posts, read 27,722,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
It’s not about that. Everyone realizes that by 3rd grade most kids know a lot more than in past decades. Even if a kid knows Santa isn’t real, that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun for them to have imaginary fantasies about Christmas.... just like when they go to Disneyland, same thing.
exactly.

It is the same thing she tells the whole class, "let's face it, Mickey mouse wasn't real."

what is the purpose behind it?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:37 PM

693 posts, read 358,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Ok, but again, at what age is ok? Who determines that age? Should a teacher NEVER mention that santa isn't real?
No one wants to address that question...where do we cross that line?

Answer that question, and this one as well.....if teachers telling children at a age that they typically do not believe in santa that santa isn't real is crossing the line, then are all tv shows, movies, commercials, etc that mention santa isn't real (at the age bracket they're aimed at) also crossing the line?
Why outrage aimed at a teacher, and not other outlets? (and let's be honest here, it was one parent expressing outrage).

The church I go to, the priest during mass has asked parents to donate gifts for the needy. In front of even younger children. Is that crossing the line?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,745,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think everybody is saying this teacher said something wrong, I think most people are saying this teacher crossed the line. It is not a proper way to bond with the children she teachers, that is all.
It's not the biggest deal, but for a teacher out of the blue to say "Santa isn't real" just seems rather smug and self-righteous. Will kids learn this out in the world on their own? Sure, probably from their own friends. But to feel like you need to take it upon yourself as a teacher in the classroom just seems arrogant to me.

That's my initial take at least.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
It's not the biggest deal, but for a teacher out of the blue to say "Santa isn't real" just seems rather smug and self-righteous. Will kids learn this out in the world on their own? Sure, probably from their own friends. But to feel like you need to take it upon yourself as a teacher in the classroom just seems arrogant to me.

That's my initial take at least.
Yeah, I agree with you 100%

Old 12-21-2017, 01:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,421,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
exactly.

It is the same thing she tells the whole class, "let's face it, Mickey mouse wasn't real."

what is the purpose behind it?
WTF?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9FvpEgojjk

Old 12-21-2017, 01:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,035,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I'll bet you the best steak house dinner that the teacher was your typically leftwing hating feminist.

Mother outraged after teacher tells students Santa isn’t real | myfox8.com
Why does this make her a feminist?

Oh, that's right. It doesn't. You're just another divisive political extremist with an agenda.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
Ok, but again, at what age is ok? Who determines that age? Should a teacher NEVER mention that santa isn't real?
No one wants to address that question...where do we cross that line?

Answer that question, and this one as well.....if teachers telling children at a age that they typically do not believe in santa that santa isn't real is crossing the line, then are all tv shows, movies, commercials, etc that mention santa isn't real (at the age bracket they're aimed at) also crossing the line?
Why outrage aimed at a teacher, and not other outlets? (and let's be honest here, it was one parent expressing outrage).

The church I go to, the priest during mass has asked parents to donate gifts for the needy. In front of even younger children. Is that crossing the line?
I think this is the sweetest way to teach the child about Santa

"Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he's filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no, I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I'm on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama"

https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Tellin...Santa-27332439

A lot of times, it is not about what you say, it is HOW and WHERE you say it and the purpose behind it. It looks like she just decided to announce it, "Santa isn't real, deal with it" without any feedback, explanation, follow up. It is a bit, odd. What is her purpose of announcing Santa isn't real out of the blue?

Old 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,878,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You smear others in almost every thread you're in.

You grew up with a different flavor of Catholic than I did.
It wasn't Catholic and keep your Catholic Santa! Actually Santa and the Catholic cardinals do dress alike.

Last edited by jojajn; 12-21-2017 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies