Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 05:42 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,602,141 times

Advertisements

VIX got near 21 again today..you know what to do to take advantage of this.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,909,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
^ 287

The notion that the bounce would be gone by the end of the day was...

Fake news!

Whichever coward left me the review comment, come back and explain how the bump was erased when the DOW ended ^287

Your review comment isn't aging well

Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 AM

1,087 posts, read 783,935 times
The stock market is closed today, following the big drop yesterday. Google “why the market is down”, there are articles explaining bear market signals.

Trump started the trade war, it’s hard to stop or reverse it back. Trump offered 90 day ceasefire with China, obviously it’s not going to be that simple at this point.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 AM

12,978 posts, read 9,679,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
The stock market is closed today, following the big drop yesterday. Google “why the market is down”, there are articles explaining bear market signals.

Trump started the trade war, it’s hard to stop or reverse it back. Trump offered 90 day ceasefire with China, obviously it’s not going to be that simple at this point.
The market is closed today because of George H. W. Bush funeral services. The post office is also closed today because of that, as well as most federal jobs.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,028,353 times
I'm old enough to remember when Presidents tried to avoid using language that would cause the stock market to react, negatively or positively.

One does wonder if Trump tips off his country club friends before he issues a tweet. "I'm about to call for more tariffs; get your short orders in now".

Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I'm old enough to remember when Presidents tried to avoid using language that would cause the stock market to react, negatively or positively.

One does wonder if Trump tips off his country club friends before he issues a tweet. "I'm about to call for more tariffs; get your short orders in now".
DH and I were just discussing that possibility this morning. Eventually, though we came to the conclusion he is dishonest enough to that, we just don't think he is smart enough. He thought his tweets would garner him support, and it crashed the markets.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2018, 09:49 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,028,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
DH and I were just discussing that possibility this morning. Eventually, though we came to the conclusion he is dishonest enough to that, we just don't think he is smart enough. He thought his tweets would garner him support, and it crashed the markets.

I have read that President Trump spends quite a bit of time on the telephone, at night, speaking with his friends, many in the financial world. I can easily see Mr. Trump, perhaps inadvertently, tipping off a friend that he was disappointed in (for instance) China, and so would tweet about more tariffs in the morning.

Said friend would receive this tidbit in a thoughtful manner, perhaps call some friends, and then make arrangements to sell 'short' several stocks with delivery in 24 hours or so (however shorting stocks works).

Indeed, I imagine that his business friends actually call Trump during the evening. No doubt they have direct access to him.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:55 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have read that President Trump spends quite a bit of time on the telephone, at night, speaking with his friends, many in the financial world. I can easily see Mr. Trump, perhaps inadvertently, tipping off a friend that he was disappointed in (for instance) China, and so would tweet about more tariffs in the morning.

Said friend would receive this tidbit in a thoughtful manner, perhaps call some friends, and then make arrangements to sell 'short' several stocks with delivery in 24 hours or so (however shorting stocks works).

Indeed, I imagine that his business friends actually call Trump during the evening. No doubt they have direct access to him.

That wouldn't surprise me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,192,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump is absolutely the greatest on the economy. Dow breaks 25,000
Yea, it's just a shame, but breaking 25K on the way down to 24K isn't that great of an accomplishment. I wish he would put twitter down for a while...

Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,698,207 times
What is really troubling is that at his recent BS sessions (rallies and others) he smugly says "Hey, we don't have to talk about the economy....everyone knows....it's the best economy ever in history"....

And the crowd believes him.

Trillions in potential (usual - if things were even decent) not made this year, complete chaos for business people, CEOs saying things aren't looking good, Credit card delinquencies up, more people without insurance, higher interest rates, more inflation......yet it's the best economy in history!

If he wanted to put it somewhat accurately he'd say "We've spent 8-10 years getting out of the Bush mess and my predecessor held a firm hand on the tiller despite being hamstrung by Congress. Now that i'm in charge I don't know that I am doing, but am throwing chit at the wall and hoping some will stick...and, anyway, my supporters believe anything I say, so who cares?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies