Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times

Advertisements

It happens here in Texas - police departments have been criticized for handing mentally ill people a one-way bus ticket to my city, Austin. And as expected, sometimes they arrive and commit crimes like murder. It happened a few years back to a poor little gal from the University of Texas; her killer had been sent to Austin via another police department.

I'm not interested in assigning blame for this bullsh*t. It's a bipartisan problem. I am only interested in learning how other countries deal with it, and how the US, despite our enormous population, might utilize these ideas to help our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
There is no denying that people with long-term, unmanaged mental health issues are difficult to deal with.

But you don't put a disoriented woman out in the middle of a cold night, barefoot and her a nightie.

Good Lord.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It happens here in Texas - police departments have been criticized for handing mentally ill people a one-way bus ticket to my city, Austin. And as expected, sometimes they arrive and commit crimes like murder. It happened a few years back to a poor little gal from the University of Texas; her killer had been sent to Austin via another police department.

I'm not interested in assigning blame for this bullsh*t. It's a bipartisan problem. I am only interested in learning how other countries deal with it, and how the US, despite our enormous population, might utilize these ideas to help our own.

Then get to work!

Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Then get to work!
You're the one using this tragedy to further your own personal agenda of universal healthcare - what are you doing to solve problems like this?

For the record, I've spent this entire thread trying to determine how other countries deal with this specific issue. As of yet, nobody has been able to provide any answers.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM

The first thing you do is develop trained CIT (Crisis Intervention Teams) of police officers and social workers who are available 24/7 to deal with such issues.

Respite centers.

Community mental health programs with mobile teams.

Safe, supported housing.

It's not rocket science, but it costs money and takes a network of dedicated people.

This is how other countries and some places in our country do it.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The first thing you do is develop trained CIT (Crisis Intervention Teams) of police officers and social workers who are available 24/7 to deal with such issues.

Respite centers.

Community mental health programs with mobile teams.

Safe, supportive housing.

It's not rocket science, but it costs money and takes a network of dedicated people.
Respite centers are definitely something that I can stand behind. Immediate care - 24/7. Not 18 weeks from now.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You're the one using this tragedy to further your own personal agenda of universal healthcare - what are you doing to solve problems like this?

For the record, I've spent this entire thread trying to determine how other countries deal with this specific issue. As of yet, nobody has been able to provide any answers.
I can tell you that:
Quote:
Medicaid is the single largest payer for mental health services in the United States and provides coverage for millions of Americans with mental health or substance abuse disorders.
http://time.com/4829381/senate-healt...lth-insurance/

We DO NOT want to cut funding to Medicaid or we will see more and more of these inhumane occurrences.

Either fund Medicaid biggly or get UHS.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Respite centers are definitely something that I can stand behind. Immediate care - 24/7. Not 18 weeks from now.
Funded by?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Funded by?
That's the $100,000 question, isn't it?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Respite Centers are a key part of an effective "wraparound" program.

Homeless shelter would not be a good option for this woman. She needs more support than they can offer.

CIT teams are terrific. Any community that does not have such a program in place needs to get one. Police officers and community mental health workers are trained in de-escalation techniques and work together to ensure an immediate safety plan as well as follow up for long-term support.

There are CIT teams all over the nation.

Respite programs provide essential back-up and solutions for short-term safety and support.

Then long-term community mental health follow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies