Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

This is a practice going on for years. Hospitals dumps a patient to the streets rather than keeping them or connecting them with needed social services.

Quote:
- Overnight, Imamu Baraka was walking past a Baltimore hospital when he noticed something he says he'll never forget.

The hospital's security guards had just wheeled a patient to a bus stop, and in the freezing temperatures they left her there. The only thing she had on was a hospital gown.

"It's about 30 degrees out here right now," Baraka says in a recording of the encounter. "Are you OK, ma'am? Do you need me to call the police?" he asks.

It's called "patient dumping" and it doesn't just happen in Baltimore. In 2007, "60 Minutes" investigated the practice of removing homeless patients from Los Angeles hospitals and leaving them downtown.
(video of actual dumping event captured and shown in link)
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-cap...more-hospital/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Sweet Jesus.

https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/patie...aught-on-tape/

Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
People need to pay for their own stuff and not rely on others.

If they don’t have the money, not my problem nor society’s problem.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:25 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

So, you think this mentally ill young woman, was correctly dumped in the cold streets of Baltimore in her hospital gown? You believe this was right and just? I read a lot of your posts, and shake my head in amazement.

I'm not a liberal by any means.......not at all. But dumping an ill woman late at night on the street, seems a tad cruel, wouldn't you agree? In fact don't you think............ it's a little disgusting?

You seem to believe America is about sink or swim. Survival of the fittest. Let them die. Wow........ tell me again about that City on the Hill.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:

You do realize don't you that money is just paper and ink?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
So, you think this mentally ill young woman, was correctly dumped in the cold streets of Baltimore in her hospital gown? You believe this was right and just? I read a lot of your posts, and shake my head in amazement.

I'm not a liberal by any means.......not at all. But dumping an ill woman late at night on the street, seems a tad cruel, wouldn't you agree? In fact don't you think............ it's a little disgusting?

You seem to believe America is about sink or swim. Survival of the fittest. Let them die. Wow........ tell me again about that City on the Hill.
Then you pay for it. She is not my problem. She is her family’s problem. Not the hospital problem. They got her well at society’s cost. But it has to end.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
Right on, Dave. I've seen this guy's posts before too and wonder about the people hiding in the underbrush these days.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:33 AM

Deal with it. Socialized anything is not the way to go.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Then you pay for it. She is not my problem. She is her family’s problem. Not the hospital problem. They got her well at society’s cost. But it has to end.
Did it have to end late at night, with her still wearing a hospital gown, and nothing else? Don't you think, ya know, dressing her at least, would have been a good idea?

Did you watch the video? You seem, from many of your posts, to have no human sympathy at all. This is from me, a quite right wing person. I do have a heart though.

I sure hope you are never mentally ill, like this poor girl. It does happen to about one in ten folks, to different degrees, I read somewhere. Let's hope it's never you huh?

Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

This kind of thing pushes people toward liberalism. Anyone with even a small amount of empathy finds this unacceptable. I would expect it to be a non-partisan position that this is wrong and evil. But something needs to be done to stop it.

No it isn't new. We just needed a video of it. It happened at a hospital that I had used in the past. It was witnessed and reported.

Hospitals do not want people there who can't pay or if the insurance company may not pay. With Medicare there are strict rules and if you can stand you will be released or they will force you into a nursing home which will put a lien on your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies