Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 12:49 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

Maybe if Americans got off of their fat rear ends and took up Nordic skiing (skiing being Norway's national sport) they would be in better shape.
Which should work quite well in the Rio Grande Valley, upstate South Carolina and the Mississippi Delta regions. We'll be certain to pass your suggestion along to those folks.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Had a visit to the ER.

Never saw a bill.

I have Medicare and a supplemental BC/BS coverage policy. That's my healthcare in the USA.

Want universal health care? Go get you pay stub and a calculator. Subtract 25% of your take home pay ---- there's your new take home pay with universal healthcare.
You and/ or your spouce has been paying into Medicare your entire working life.

Not all seniors with traditional Medicare, have Medigap insurance.

Not all Medigap insurance covers everything Medicare does not.

Not all seniors qualify for all Medigap Plans.

State regulators determine what Medigap Plans must minimally cover.

There can be huge differences in medications covered by each Medigap plan.

No shortage of seniors with traditional Medicare who receive bills from hospitals, especially for inpatient.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 02-03-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-03-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Most Americans get their insurance through their employer and are happy with that arrangement.

You want to create a system in which employers no longer provide heath insurance and ordinary working stiffs pick up the tap because you think that will stick it to the ruling elite?
Many countries with Universal Healthcare require both employer and employee to pay for insurance.

While the rest of the developed world has Universal Healthcare, no two countries do it the same. Many countries are not Single Payers. While many countries are primary payers, it is often necessary to have supplimental insurance to help take care of what the government will not.

A few countries rely on private insurers ofrom birth- death.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's always the case with medical care. The Republican mantra of "let the free market decide" is exactly the reason why. Well, that and extreme greed.
There is no such thing as free market healthcare, anywhere in the world.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:25 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,191,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
The difference being that Statoil, when acting as an operator, necessarily assumes the exploration and business risk associated with the ventures in which it participates, which means the Norwegian taxpayer, to the extent of his ownership in Statoil, is assuming those risks.

In contrast, the U.S. government, which does not have its own oil and gas company, but rather grants oil and gas leases to private concerns on lands where it is the mineral owner, is liberated from both exploration and business risk precisely because it is not an operator. The companies to whom the U.S. government has leased bear all such risk, not the U.S. taxpayer.

The trade-off is this: The financial upside for the U.S. is limited, but risk-free. Norway/Statoil's financial upside is greater, but at the cost of assuming the far higher levels of risk inherent in oil and gas exploration.
As I wrote, Statoil is only one of several companies operating in Norway. Both the US and Norway offer tax deduction for oil exploration, so the risk is reduced, but that also means less tax money from the petroleum industry. The industry, in general, is taxed at a much higher rate (max rate is 78%!) in Norway compared with the US. That pretty much explain the massive wealth increase in Norway since the 70s.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Check out what the Canadian Healthcare System thought wasn't bad enough to treat:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucele.../#6563f70a5173
This couple would have likely found themselves having to pay out of pocket for the medication.

Thiabendazole is OTC in the US. Insurance does not typically cover the cost of OTC medicine.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
She shouldn't even be stressed because it's no way I would be paying that bill. I would have told them they should send me a $17,000 bill because I don't have that either.
What is the liklihood a hospital in Germany is going to pursue an international collection of $12,000.

Her issue is with her state that granted her insurer the right to determine and deny.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thiabendazole is OTC in the US. Insurance does not typically cover the cost of OTC medicine.
and people can print free drug discount cards from internet

most insurances give them out like candy, it isn't hard to get a few and go through them for the cheapest option

Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
We are more oil rich than they are and are becoming a global leader when it comes to oil prices and extraction.

However we don’t profit from natural resources like Norway does because we don’t have a government owned oil company like they do.
Very true.

US gave away or sold or leases rights.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Brittany Cloyd was doubled over in pain when she arrived at Frankfort Regional Medical Center’s emergency room on July 21, 2017.

“They got me a wheelchair and wheeled me back to a room immediately,” said Cloyd, 27, who lives in Kentucky.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-inappropriate
I think this case should go straight to the court.
How can people correctly determine the source of their sharp pains, unless it's established by the doctors?
It's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies