Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Do you realize that at age 65 Medicare by law becomes your primary insurance? Doesn't sound like it
By law?
Actually not.

Some do not qualify for Medicare.

Some, like my husband, continue to work, delay enrollment and iare covered by his employer's plan. So long as one can demonstrate continued coverage, there is no reduction of Medicare benefit or premium surcharge.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Great deal and an amount most people pay for Medicare premiums. Then you just need to insure the 20% Medicare doesn't pay for with a supplemental plan. I pay nothing over and above those two.
Both my parents and inlaws have Tricare for life, then when they hit 65 Medicaire too. They dont pay anything over the cost. Just their little deductibles. So, I am not sure what you are suggesting as if I need a supplemental, when I already stated Tricare pays what medicaire doesnt.
Surgeries inlaws and parents have had, Lung surgery for cancer, gall bladders, cateracts, shoulder and two knees, for example and they paid their little co pay, and nothing else.
So, what am I missing?

Old 02-03-2018, 01:41 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
and people can print free drug discount cards from internet

most insurances give them out like candy, it isn't hard to get a few and go through them for the cheapest option
Interesting, wonder if my daughter can try this. Can you send me a link of samples?

Old 02-03-2018, 01:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Tell 'em you just jumped the border.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:43 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
I got electricity going through my heart, from my left arm and out the right arm, 3 years back.

Called my doctor, 10 min later I took an EKG at his office, 30 min later I was at the ER for a full check up and spent the night in the heart ward.

Was checked in the morning, everything was OK. Walked down the stairs and said bye to the personal at the entrance and walked out.

Never seen a bill.

Thats healthcare in Norway.
Oh that's because Norway is the NATION that cares about the "Nation's health" including, whereas the US is simply a commercial zone that thrives on a cheap labor.
And commercial zone ( unlike the true nation) approaches the health system on commercial basis - it's obvious.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Interesting, wonder if my daughter can try this. Can you send me a link of samples?
https://www.google.com/search?q=free...+discount+card

or tell her to go to CVS/Walgreen/etc, they probably have the cards on the window sill of pharmacy or near it...

ever since ACA started, those cards are everywhere... the companies don't mind giving a discount because they prefer to sell more for lower price than none at all for economies of scale

it's really no different than the free dial-up internet CDs being passed around in the 1990s

Old 02-03-2018, 01:48 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An ER visit, a $12,000 bill — and a health insurer that wouldn’t pay.]
Isn't the REAL issue... why is an ER visit so expensive? The doctors and nurses are on the shift already. Just charge for the basic labour, drugs and supplies. And perhaps save by making ER visits exempt from malpractice suits so that having expensive malpractice insurance for ER visits not needed.

Also, everyone should buy additional gap insurance to go along with their health insurance. Smart people carry it for their auto loans and leases. Smart people should also have carry it for their health insurance plans.

Insurance companies shouldn't be expected to cover expenses not covered by the plans that people buy. Everyone needs to learn how to read the details. Insurance companies are NOT the bad guys here. Greedy hospitals and pharma companies are at fault. Also, all the indigent patients that get free ER care because they have nothing or are illegals.

And I'm sure that the patient already has a gofundme page to help cover that $12,000 bill.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Isn't the REAL issue... why is an ER visit so expensive? The doctors and nurses are on the shift already. Just charge for the basic labour, drugs and supplies. And perhaps save by making ER visits exempt from malpractice suits so that having expensive malpractice insurance for ER visits not needed.
Is that like saying why is steak/lobsters so expensive when the restaurant already has it in the freezer next to the soup and fries?

ERs cost more because people without insurance use them for non-emergencies, so they charge paying customers more to make up for it

they should make ER fully socialized instead of the subsidies, then people can have "socialized" medicine while keeping insurance system

the wait times in ER's are so long that people who can would pay to go to their own doctors for non-emergencies

seeing people go to ER for "flu", and they are still there waiting when I get off work, they could have gone to a CVS clinic or their doctor for treatment

Old 02-03-2018, 02:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,752,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Is that like saying why is steak/lobsters so expensive when the restaurant already has it in the freezer next to the soup and fries?

ERs cost more because people without insurance use them for non-emergencies, so they charge paying customers more to make up for it

they should make ER fully socialized instead of the subsidies, then people can have "socialized" medicine while keeping insurance system

the wait times in ER's are so long that people who can would pay to go to their own doctors for non-emergencies

seeing people go to ER for "flu", and they are still there waiting when I get off work, they could have gone to a CVS clinic or their doctor for treatment
Or Urgent Care

Old 02-03-2018, 02:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
I got electricity going through my heart, from my left arm and out the right arm, 3 years back.

Called my doctor, 10 min later I took an EKG at his office, 30 min later I was at the ER for a full check up and spent the night in the heart ward.

Was checked in the morning, everything was OK. Walked down the stairs and said bye to the personal at the entrance and walked out.

Never seen a bill.

Thats healthcare in Norway.
Oh, yeah, Norway, with a population smaller than the city of Chicago.

The US population aged 65+ is 41 Million, more than 8 times the population of Norway.

How many carrier battle groups and amphibious assault groups do you have plying the Seven Seas?

Oh, that's right...zero, yet you benefit from the safety and security the US provides without contributing.

Quote:
The US, could save $2-3 Trillion each year, by going to a Singlepayer system, with negotiation of drug pricing, similar to other OECD nations. And everybody would be covered for ANY conceivable illness.

And you wonder why the donors/lobbyist does not want to have this discussion.
Actually, healthcare spending in the US would increase:

Together, national health expenditures would increase by a total of $518.9 billion (16.9 percent) in 2017, and by 6.6 trillion (16.6 percent) between 2017 and 2026.

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/...-Care-Plan.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies