Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 08:41 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
I wonder if they would have any LEGAL RECOURSE if someone refused to pay a bill that high??

Yes its just sad how much they think they can charge!! -- Alot of people DO NOT have that kind of money!!
Collections. Returns about 10% as I recall.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I am sure they would lien my house like a mouse. I paid cash for my house. I don't mean to sound mean, but lets be real here. Say someone walks in with a broken hand or leg, and they charge $6k to wrap it up. Now does it really cost $6k to fix someone up with a broken hand or leg. I have never needed a DOC or seen a DOC in over 30 years other than one time back in 2012 for back pain. They ran some x rays and gave me some pills and did all kinds of test and blood test. I have never had HC ins, so guess what i paid the $1k and that was that.

I don't mind paying what i think is a fair price. But i am not gonna pay some crazy price if i walked into a ER.

I had some kind of insane pain way down in my tummy area back in 2010 like down to my leg and i stuck it out for 8 hours and rolled on the floor. There was no way i was going to a ER and ruin my perfect 800+ credit score. Never knew what that pain was and it never came back. Health care should be free for all as long as someone is working.
What ER's charge and pitals charge is just insane. No way i would pay the bill, and i would burn my house down and turn the land it sits on into a supper fund site with so much toxic stuff they would never get a dime out of me for some crazy trumped up charges.
You negotiate the bill. Show up looking like a homeless person! You can easily get a 1/3 off, probably more if you're good. Like an insurance company. They get better deals.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The problem is that Vox is a republican light media outlet, that is perfectly fine with a for-profit health care system where people dont have the right to health care (not insurance, but CARE).

If you get a severe illness and cant work, and some politicians demand we join the rest of the world and give the middle finger to the health insurance racket, then Vox will use immense energy to slander and smear such politicians in order to convince the people not to support common sense health care policies.

This is the problem we face. We have two faced liars dominating the mainstream media, pretending to support the people while they are funded by the biggest and most powerful vested interests in the country. And then we have Trump, the man fighting for the ruling donor class while pretending to be a man of the people.

We need fundamental change and that means getting big money out of politics. No other way. Join organizations like wolf-pac and represent.us. Thats what the ruling elite fears.
Exactly. The problem is too many Americans are fine with a "I've got mine, so to heck with you!" system, provided they are never the ones in trouble. They don't want to chip in a dime to help others via anything from affordable healthcare to roads to schools, but they raise holy hell when their number comes up to be worked over by the system. Then, of course, it's the fault of "the government" even though they spent their whole lives voting against any system that would have mitigated the costs of disasters because that would mean somebody else but them might have benefited.

Actions have consequences, but too many Americans don't care provided their tax bill is low, "nobody tells me what to do," and nothing bad ever happens to them.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:49 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
The healthcare system here is very broken.

With most purchases in the US, you can shop around for the best price. You can't do that with the current system (and to be fair you cannot do it with single payer, although price isn't really a concern with that model). Most hospitals aren't able to tell you how much a procedure costs, because it varies for everyone. Also, some insurance companies limit where you can receive care.

We always hear from people who have employer covered insurance that the system here is fine. Yes, it's probably fine for you. But what about for people who are self-employed and cannot afford $800/mo basic health coverage? What about people who work retail jobs with insurance plans that cost half your monthly salary?

The system works for 50% of Americans, but is completely broken for everyone else.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The healthcare system here is very broken.

With most purchases in the US, you can shop around for the best price. You can't do that with the current system (and to be fair you cannot do it with single payer, although price isn't really a concern with that model). Most hospitals aren't able to tell you how much a procedure costs, because it varies for everyone. Also, some insurance companies limit where you can receive care.

We always hear from people who have employer covered insurance that the system here is fine. Yes, it's probably fine for you. But what about for people who are self-employed and cannot afford $800/mo basic health coverage? What about people who work retail jobs with insurance plans that cost half your monthly salary?

The system works for 50% of Americans, but is completely broken for everyone else.
You can shop on price for many things medical that are non-emergent. Lab work, testing, x-rays and scans. Elective surgeries and procedures.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:20 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You can shop on price for many things medical that are non-emergent. Lab work, testing, x-rays and scans. Elective surgeries and procedures.
By and large you can not. Its so different than "shopping on price" compared to a car or TV its a totally different world. Thats one of the big reasons why its so expensive. You get a disease. Need a year of treatment. You are totally clueless about what procedures at which hospital constitute "good value for money". Hospitals are not disclosing their "success rates" when it comes to procedures, that all depends on the individual. The last last thing you need to worry about trying to recover from a severe disease. It works for the health care racket. They grab 18% of GDP or $3 200 billion per year. It doesnt work for the people who need care.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
By and large you can not. Its so different than "shopping on price" compared to a car or TV its a totally different world. Thats one of the big reasons why its so expensive. You get a disease. Need a year of treatment. You are totally clueless about what procedures at which hospital constitute "good value for money". Hospitals are not disclosing their "success rates" when it comes to procedures, that all depends on the individual. The last last thing you need to worry about trying to recover from a severe disease. It works for the health care racket. They grab 18% of GDP or $3 200 billion per year. It doesnt work for the people who need care.
As I said, free markets don't work for complex and serious disease like cancer.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:34 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There's a shortage of doctors, etc., in my state, as in many rural areas, so no, there are no choices. There's one really great doctor locally, and a few I wouldn't go to unless I had no choice. Doctors aren't like cars, they don't just leave you on the roadside if you pick a bad one because of price, your life depends on the quality of their work. And then add in drug companies having a monopoly on a particular drug for several years and you have a handful of pills costing what a house costs locally to me (those hepatitis C drugs are a good example).

Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's a shortage of doctors, etc., in my state, as in many rural areas, so no, there are no choices. There's one really great doctor locally, and a few I wouldn't go to unless I had no choice. Doctors aren't like cars, they don't just leave you on the roadside if you pick a bad one because of price, your life depends on the quality of their work. And then add in drug companies having a monopoly on a particular drug for several years and you have a handful of pills costing what a house costs locally to me (those hepatitis C drugs are a good example).
The only doc you can shop for on price is a direct pay doc. Otherwise even in my rural area we can shop for what I mentioned by price.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:00 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
I wonder if they would have any LEGAL RECOURSE if someone refused to pay a bill that high??

Yes its just sad how much they think they can charge!! -- Alot of people DO NOT have that kind of money!!
Easiest solution is for a person to pay the bill in installments. Let's say send in a check for $20 monthly. At least you're paying and that put a stay on any adverse legalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies