Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
God, the government...so hard to get good help these days.

Looks like we're down to personal responsibility.

I'll put on a pot of coffee as we discuss it.
Well, Are you married, single parent, unmarried single no kids.
Raising kids needs stability, discipline, Mother and a Father figure. You need to raise them as best you can to be a damn good kid within society. Family values have sunk to a serious low. So many factors enable crappy family lives.
Discipline is in the tubes for many.
Nurturing happens at school and tv, very little when there are two income families..
We as a society need to take charge of ourselves.
You dont like God, then dont.
You dont like the governments lack of special catering to you, then become self reliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The 2nd amendment is non negotiable and I do not prescribe to your interpretation of it either. Also just remember that even if the un American communist swine ever succeeded in getting gun confiscation laws passed they had better make provisions for how they plan to get the US military to fight its own people. Millions would never obey such laws and mass rebellion in Red State America is very likely a result of any attempt to confiscate weapons. If liberals try to force thier will on this issue they will destroy the country. You cannot have my freedom, I refuse to surrender it.
It's likely they'd use UN or foreign soldiers for such a thing, although American soldiers had no qualms about disarming people during Katrina.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
I’m seeing a lot around this thug being a part of a white supremacist group.

Is that true?

If so, get ready for the deflections (“yeah, but BLM, Antfia”) and conspiracy theories (false flag) to start flying.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Nobody with a knife, garotte or tire iron could kill 17 people, and injure more, in the same amount of time an automatic weapon can kill. They would be jumped on and stopped very quickly.

Faulty logic.
They certainly could if they really wanted to. Just do what Jeffrey Dahmer and a slew of other mass murderers did, one at a time, with drugs and then wack-em. Charles Ng & Leonard Lake. How about the Butcher of Kansas City or the Beauty Queen Killer. Or how about Richard Ramirez? Not all their victims were taken out with a gun. It just takes a little bit longer and a bit more planning.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Its doesnt say we cant establish a religion. It just states separation of Church and state..
And not everyone has been able to have a gun.. It took years and years of legislation to allow all US Citizens to own guns. Read your history...
Sorry if this comes across as rude, but you should read the constitution and its amendments. Neither the original Constitution nor any of its amendments states anything about the separation of church and state, except possibly by implication. That concept was first stated by one of the U.S. "founding fathers" -- at least to MY knowledge -- in a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptists in 1802:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Lette...anuary_1,_1802

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separa..._United_States

From the Wikipedia article (my italics):

"Separation of church and state" is paraphrased from Thomas Jefferson and used by others in expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The phrase "separation between church & state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper. Jefferson wrote,

“ "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."[1] ”

Jefferson was echoing the language of the founder of the first Baptist church in America, Roger Williams who had written in 1644,

“ "[A] hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the church and the wilderness of the world."

(Don't feel bad, though -- a lot of people have the same misunderstanding that you did.)

Old 02-15-2018, 02:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The NRA donated $11MM directly to Trumps campaign and another $19MM against Hillary.

That's over $30MM. The most of any politician EVER.

NRA Contributions: How Much Politicians Like Roy Blunt Receive | Fortune

You're damn skippy he cowtails to the NRA. Not to mention some of those funds spent by the NRA are under investigation, as some may have come from foreign sources thru the NRA.
Unlike other mass shooting tragedies where we aren't allowed to talk about the guns immediately after the shooting, this one feels different. People here are not only shocked and saddened, but extremely pissed off--the parents, the school kids, the town.

I have heard nothing but negative reactions to Trump's invocation this morning. What people here want to talk about is gun control and assault weapons ban.

I think one of the reasons is that the school, the teachers and the kids felt like they did everything they were supposed to. He was reported to the school officials, he was treated at a mental health clinic, he was reported to the FBI and police. So they aren't going to listen to Trump and Scott talk about only mental health while quoting scripture.

They are angry and they are determined that things will change--they are not going away and they are not going to let Scott, Trump or Rubio get away with NOT talking about the guns. I've heard it over and over today. The thing about this area is that people are not easily cowed by political BS and they are very outspoken--today they are very angry and not too receptive about listening to NRA puppets.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The NRA donated $11MM directly to Trumps campaign and another $19MM against Hillary.

That's over $30MM. The most of any politician EVER.

NRA Contributions: How Much Politicians Like Roy Blunt Receive | Fortune

You're damn skippy he cowtails to the NRA. Not to mention some of those funds spent by the NRA are under investigation, as some may have come from foreign sources thru the NRA.
Thanks God the 19mm worked.. How much did Hillary spend, and she did take 2700 bucks from Jeff Forbes, you know, a NRA lobbyist and 2700 from Greer.. Such a hypocrit, one dollar or millions, its still taking money...Anyways, you were saying that the millions is important.. Not really
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/rec...?id=d000000082

Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
NO school in the US should have armed guards! That is horrendous, the US is supposed to be a first world country not a bloody war zone.
“Supposed to be a first world country”........as an American it’s shameful to have to admit that parts of this nation are not part of the first world. We have cities like Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore etc that are at least en part not first world at all. School shootings in nice parts of Florida get a lot of attention but people die daily in places like those listed above. There are also wide swaths of rural America that is overrun with meth and violence too. Our nation is sick and it’s getting worse. Our gun rights are not causing this, for 200 years we had them and no major issues. Our societal problems are all coming to a head and it’s only a matter of time before people in other first world nations begin to question whether or not we are still one of them. Also armed guards are part of daily life in some of the cities I listed above. What you would be shocked by in the UK is becoming normal here.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its your religion, enjoy it how you will, I have no need or use for it, sorry if that offends you. It doesn't mean that I go about life in a bad way, nor does it give you the right to try and push your views on me, or try to take some sort of credit for it being all because of the god you believe in.

As for non-fiction, sure, thats fine, there are some facts in there, key word...SOME.
No offense taken. But this country was founded on Christianity. Its fact. People had allot more faith back then. Now, not so much.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Where is your evidence the shooter is a supremacist?

All I see is a screech from a outraged liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies