Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:53 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times

Advertisements

Just another day in gun obsessed America. Day in and day out. Year after year and nothing is done to stop it. What a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 PM

666 posts, read 513,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Well that is Hollywood for you. Preach against it and then make millions from violence.
Yeah, like what's his face (Liam Neeson) who ranted about gun violence awhile back but then keeps starring in these movies in which he plays an Every Man Joe Blow who goes from zero to hero as soon as he gets a gun. Hey, Liam, think that movies that actually glamorize guns as these tools that can turn ordinary shlubs into invincible killing machines could be part of the problem? Just a thought.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
So very sad this is the new normal in America today, I mean really sad. I would imagine schools children all across this country goes to school everyday with some form of anxiety. Teachers have to try to do their jobs, and in back of their minds they are probably listening for gun shots. Parents have to go to work, wondering if their child will return home safe. In a few days, this won't even be in the news, we will have moved on to the next political story coming out of Washington. My thoughts and prayers to the families.
Yeah--I was listening to the talking heads and their interviewees on the news and while someone was talking about how in Broward County, they have school "active-shooter training" I realized how bizarre that sounded. When I grew up and went to school, there were no "active shooters" and "active-shooter training" was science fiction.

The idea of having a gun in one's home for 'protection' was foreign to those in the northeastern Connecticut suburb where I grew up. Police had guns. That was pretty much it.

Active-shooter training?

There is something seriously wrong in this society and it is going to be what brings us down.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That's proof, we lose 200,000 guns a year, more than most countries own so don't tell me its not easy today.

You couldn't acquire the firepower they have today 40 years ago, the largest problem was the Saturday Night Special now its an AR-15.
OH yes you could.I could do plenty with my lever action and the Saturday nite special was a made up sensational news pile of crap.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Just another day in gun obsessed America. Day in and day out. Year after year and nothing is done to stop it. What a shame.
Yes, well as we've seen countless times, cons condone & relish this

Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
Were there armed school resource officers at the high school this day?

There are many Florida Counties that have school resource officers in all schools, but I think some counties do not have the officers.
I thought I read that they had 2 officers at the school. Could be wrong though.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yes, well as we've seen countless times, cons condone & relish this
Except you cant present one example of anyone condoning this

Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
OK. Good point. Why have they not been more bombings then or even arson?

People choose the means of the most deaths but also they often want to do it in a person way. Guns are easy and personal. Or in the case of Las Vegas, they can also be very impersonal. Terrorists tend to use means other than guns. Spree killers tend to use guns.
Mass murder is mass murder regardless of the means or the perpetrators. You'll be just as dead. It makes no difference to the dead if it were an act of terrorism or a spree killer.

Timothy McVeigh used fertilizer, diesel fuel and a box truck. The 9/11 terrorists used box cutters. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev used a pressure cooker. Sayfullo Saipov used a rental truck to mow down and kill 8 people. Ramzi Yousef used a truck bomb to try and take down the World trade Center in 1993. Ted Bundy confessed to killing at least 30 women with his bare hands over a period of time.

Paddock also had a pilots license he could have loaded his plane with fuel and crashed it into the crowd at Las Vegas.

But the real question is what drives people to commit such acts in the first place? Whether it be an act of terror or a spree killing. If you can come up with a solution to that then maybe we can talk.

One things for sure going after people who lawfully own firearms and blaming them for the actions of others is never going to solve the problem. You're never gonna' be able to ban and collect some 350,000,000 guns that are already in circulation.

Not only would it be impossible for the feds to do it. It would be impossible for state and local governments to accomplish this monumental task. There simply is not enough manpower, not to mention the overwhelming burden on our criminal justice system bringing all of these cases to trial. There's just not enough jail space to incarcerate all of these newly minted criminals. Then there's the issue of those who are in law enforcement and the military who are also firm believers in the 2nd Amendment and "Constitutional Law". Who more than likely would refuse to comply with such draconian action. It is quite conceivable that they too would join forces with those who resist, bringing their knowledge of military and law enforcement tactics to our side. Including those who are retired military and law enforcement personnel. We also have to take into consideration other provisions within our "Bill of Rights" that would also have to be violated. I think what we would see is a revolution or civil war the likes of which this country has never seen before. Some believe that we have no chance against the military. But what happens when the military turns on those very people who ordered them to go in and burn down their own homes and neighborhoods, their friends and relatives along with it?

Quote:
“But to ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow. …
For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. 
Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.” Jeff Snyder

Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Another day in America. Sad.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:06 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yeah--I was listening to the talking heads and their interviewees on the news and while someone was talking about how in Broward County, they have school "active-shooter training" I realized how bizarre that sounded. When I grew up and went to school, there were no "active shooters" and "active-shooter training" was science fiction.

The idea of having a gun in one's home for 'protection' was foreign to those in the northeastern Connecticut suburb where I grew up. Police had guns. That was pretty much it.

Active-shooter training?

There is something seriously wrong in this society and it is going to be what brings us down.
I know, and if you think society is bad now, just wait. I know all these shooting have to have some long term affects on all these kids and others. The overexposure to these shootings and images are going to desensitized us all to violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies