Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What explains FBI failures?
Incompetence 23 30.26%
Distracted by political witch hunts and other intrigues 49 64.47%
Disorganized like any bureaucracy 23 30.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Whoa !

Just learned there were 2 separate and distinct reports to the FBI.

The most recent report was a call made to the FBI tip line by someone who allegedly claimed to be close to Cruz. The caller reported Cruz' erratic behavior, wanting to kill people, disturbing social media posts, intention to become a mass school shooter and his firearm. For unknown reasons, this tip was not forwarded to the Miami field office.

How many " tips" are recieved by the FBI hotline each day/ week/ month/ year? How many get referred to field offices? What's the process / oversight associated with determining which reports are transferred to the appropriate field office or not?

There are 35,000+/- FBI employees, career professionals. Most have nothing to do with the politics in DC.

It would never dawn on me to call the FBI hot line, under similar circumstances, unless my local LE blew it and me, off. It's possible the shooter was the caller. Wouldn't that be a kicker.

It's not clear to me who knew FBI dropped the ball and disclosed it.

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 04:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
They blew it, sadly.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:13 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
The FBI were too busy trying to rig the election results and CYA to stop a mass murder.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
[quote=phantompilot;51048619]

Well, it would be biased if there weren't FBI failures. But since there are so many, its not biased.[/QUOTE

The failure to refer the January tip to the Miami office is a colossal fail and must be independently investigated.

Every process experiences fails, over time. How many are " so many"? What's the ratio of good vs bad judgment calls? You don't know and either do I. FBI does not issue a press release / tweet every time the process works as it should.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
The information that the FBI received a tip about the Parkland school shooter (less than an hour after he posted a violent threat back in September 2017) but failed to investigate it thoroughly enough to actually identify and make contact with him, is just the latest revelation that leads me to believe this agency is on the whole ineffective and incompetent. (and that's the least of the things wrong over there)

I just read a story about a totally different case, but one that is a close analogy: The FBI managed to identify and make contact with a "short seller" in Sonoma County regarding comments he made on Twitter.

Now, YouTube and Twitter are basically the same thing. So if they can identify a Twitter user from a comment, surely they can do the same for a YouTube comment.

Alternative explanations of failures like this could include because they spend too much of their effort and time on political witch hunting...or perhaps they are just disorganized and suffer from the same inefficiencies as any large centralized bureaucracy.

What do you all think?
More collusion against Trump like Peter Strzok and Lisa Page did.They so want to blame the tragedy on President Trump.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Whoa !

The most recent report was a call made to the FBI tip line by someone who allegedly claimed to be close to Cruz. The caller reported Cruz' erratic behavior, wanting to kill people, disturbing social media posts, intention to become a mass school shooter and his firearm. For unknown reasons, this tip was not forwarded to the Miami field office.

How many " tips" are recieved by the FBI hotline each day/ week/ month/ year? How many get referred to field offices? What's the process / oversight associated with determining which reports are transferred to the appropriate field office or not?

There are 35,000+/- FBI employees, career professionals. Most have nothing to do with the politics in DC.

It would never dawn on me to call the FBI hot line, under similar circumstances, unless my local LE blew it and me, off. It's possible the shooter was the caller. Wouldn't that be a kicker.

Anyone know?
Doesn't matter, its their job.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Doesn't matter, its their job.
It does matter because it is a resource issue.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I don’t agree with the Faux news talking points. The FBI isn’t corrupt. That’s the Russians talking and their puppets in the White House. Faux snooze isn’t above circulating these talking points either.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It does matter because it is a resource issue.
Back when I was working, we had something called overtime. We just called it 7/12's

Old 02-16-2018, 05:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Whoa !

Anyone know?
FBI already answered you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/16/polit...ter/index.html

"A person close to Nikolas Cruz, the confessed shooter, contacted the FBI on January 5 to report concerns about him, the FBI said in a statement Friday. But the bureau did not appropriately follow established protocols in following up on the tip.

The FBI said the caller provided information about "Cruz's gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting." The information should have been assessed as a "potential threat to life," the bureau said."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies