Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 08:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"Crazy" people do not care about laws. There is always a way to kill a large number of people. Your argument is it is better for them to kill 10 as opposed to 15 even though there is no guarantee to that.

My argument is that we need to deal with the person that wants to kill. That is not always going to work either but it will work I believe better than laws that "crazy" people do not care about to start with.

What a mass killer does is illegal. Did that stop them? What I suggest would even help those who kill themselves or a small number also. Restrictions on the means does not change the fact that the person is "crazy".
It's a valid argument.

We also need to keep guns from getting into the hands of the 'person who wants to kill'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's a valid argument.

We also need to keep guns from getting into the hands of the 'person who wants to kill'.
It's possible we can do that BUT not until that is the discussion. You don't keep weapons out of the hand from the mentally ill by doing things that only will restrict the law abiding.

We need to discuss if we can deal with those who threaten to kill others and shoot up a school.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
It's a valid argument.

I agree that is where the focus needs to be. I have no problem with law enforcement profiling those that make threatening statements, and display erratic behavior.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:54 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because if it was as prevalent as shootings, OP would have been able to find a more up to date example of it instead of trying to act as if this knifing is current news in order to draw a false equivalency between guns and knives.

I'll ask again: How many knife-wielding sprees have there been in the last 4 years?
Probably more than we know about, such incidents are not reported on the news just because guns weren't used; Stabbings do kill people, and what difference does it make when 1 person kills 17 people in the span of 5 minutes or when 1 knife-wielding serial killer, kills 17 people in a year's time? Do you know about serial killers of the past, like Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and others who followed him, and John Wayne Gacy, who killed 33 boys and 32 of them were murdered by either asphyxiation or strangulation with a makeshift tourniquet, and one was stabbed to death.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I agree that is where the focus needs to be. I have no problem with law enforcement profiling those that make threatening statements, and display erratic behavior.
People can agree. We refuse to discuss this though and politicians aren't interested in the possible solutions. (And neither are the most ardent 2nd amendment supporters)

Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When people are intent on killing others, they will find a way no matter how many laws we create.

33 Dead, 130 Injured in China Knife-Wielding Spree

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/3...g-spree-n41966
Yes, I remember this happening 4 years ago.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
It's a valid argument.

We can do that by adding those with mental issues into the background check databases, which will not guarantee 100% that it will keep such individuals from buying guns on the black market, but that's a different debate.

The NRA did not like how the Obama administration categorized persons as having mental illness, which included conditions that were not even close to what would legitimately be mental illness. They were afraid that people with such conditions would be denied the right to purchase a gun.

I also believe that the application gun buyers have to fill out to purchase a weapon they do ask the person if they've ever been treated or currently undergoing treatment for mental illness, as to what happens if they answer yes, I don't know.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:48 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Because if it was as prevalent as shootings, OP would have been able to find a more up to date example of it instead of trying to act as if this knifing is current news in order to draw a false equivalency between guns and knives.

I'll ask again: How many knife-wielding sprees have there been in the last 4 years?
No false equivalency, dead is dead, yes?

So, why does there have to be a time frame?

If that is the case, and using your logic, any mass killings over 4 years old don't count.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:49 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
From two years ago.

How many more examples? Knifings that happen every 2-3 months in the same country.
SO, dead really is not dead, unless it's with a gun...leftist liberal logic there....

Old 02-17-2018, 11:57 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Just stop it, gun nuts. We are not coming to take your guns. You guys were so paranoid under Obama that I had to pay a fortune for ammo. People are dead at the hands of a stranger and you want to complain about a right that you * think* might be infringed on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies