Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Because most of them are at war in their own homeland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Many Americans are nuts, and becoming increasingly angry, polarized, and idiotic. Also, the country's becoming increasingly unstable and unlike its founding. The more we drift from our roots, the more we slide towards oblivion. It's watching a sinking ship from on deck.
A tradition of ambition, constructively-channeled aggression, and defiance toward authority is central to the American character; most of our ancestors didn't come here seeking to get rich quick, but they did come here to get someone else (usually politically-connected, with access to the levers of power) out of their face.

And most of the milquetoast-types here who are whining for gun control would love to have more of that power concentrated exclusively in their hands. I know which of the two represents a greater threat to the distrust of authority which is central to the American Experiment.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-19-2018 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Mass shootings are statistically rare in the US. You're more likely to win the super lottery, or get struck by lightening than be a victim of a mass shooting. Go just south of the US border and you encounter some of the highest murder rates in the world.
Sure they are. NOWHERE in the developed world the rates are even close to the one here.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Easy. We allow mentally ill people to be able to buy guns either by gun shops or under the radar with private sales. No other 1st or 2nd world country allows this. Plus anyone can buy a gun by private sale with no back ground check at all. It is a loophole that the NRA and Republicans love.
But there are many who suffer from anxiety, depression, bi polar, schizophrenia and other mental disorders who don't go out and kill people. So why should they all be prevented from purchasing a gun. Of course some should be prevented but it's just a very fine line here because no one knows who's going to snap and go on a killing spree. So who do you prevent from buying. Cruz was obviously seeing a psychiatrist since he was on medication. But I guess the doc didn't think he was a threat and neither did the family he lived with. The signs were there which were ignored. There is something very wrong with these kind of people and it goes beyond mental illness. It's an evilness. But there should always be background checks

Old 02-19-2018, 09:07 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A tradition of aggression and defiance toward authority is central to the American character; most of our ancestors didn't come here seeking to get rick quick, but they did come here to get someone else (usually politically-connected, with access to the levers of power) out of their face .

And most of the milquetoast-types here who are whining for gun control would love to have more of that power concentrated exclusively in their hands. I knw which of the two represents a greater threat to the distrust of authority which is central to the American character.

Only about a third of americans were for the revolutionary war. But carry on with your ..ahem.. history lesson.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
We have more personal freedom which ultimately will result in more things going wrong compared to a nanny state where they micromanage things to protect everybody from everything.

Combine that with any male who doesn't have the ability to attract a woman and get laid, and the potential is always there for one of these psychological outcasts to go postal.
No, this is just wrong. We had plenty of freedom when I was growing up and no one was going on these mass shooting sprees at such regularity (none at all as far as I remember). This started happening because the news media and internet has turned these things into attention fests. The way they immediately talked about the Columbine High School bullies as if those guys were fighting back. I’m sure they didn’t intend for some people to look at it that way, but they did. Now they talk about the record amount killed so someone tries to up the ante. The news has got to stop.

**Actually, I forgot about the drive-by shootings that started in the ‘80s, and the media seemed to egg those on too.

Last edited by katygirl68; 02-19-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 09:22 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Too many psychotropic drug prescriptions. Profilers claim the one thing all mass shooters have in common is prior or current psychotropic drug use.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Only about a third of americans were for the revolutionary war. But carry on with your ..ahem.. history lesson.
But only about 15% were loyalist and against it, the rest were willing to go along with the Revolution, so it might as well been 85%.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, this is just wrong. We had plenty of freedom when I was growing up and no one was going on these mass shooting sprees at such regularity (none at all as far as I remember). This started happening because the news media and internet has turned these things into attention fests. The way they immediately talked about the Columbine High School bullies as if those guys were fighting back. I’m sure they didn’t intend for some people to look at it that way, but they did. Now they talk about the record amount killed so someone tries to up the ante. The news has got to stop.
This is somewhat true and it across the media spectrum whether you talk conservative, liberal or hyper liberal. That said, school shooting happened into the 1800's but weren't national scale news until Columbine, despite a few happening before it in the cable news era.

That said I think part of the problem is families aren't families anymore. Lots of disinterested parents and divorce, while not as high as they once were, it leads to more single parent households. I played violent video games as a kid such as Hogan's Alley, Golden eye 007 and Grand Theft Auto, I never once had the urge to shoot up a school I went to even if I didn't fit in. Too many, don't have a moral compass whether it is from family or Boy Scouts or a similar outlet. I had both.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:44 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is somewhat true and it across the media spectrum whether you talk conservative, liberal or hyper liberal. That said, school shooting happened into the 1800's but weren't national scale news until Columbine, despite a few happening before it in the cable news era.

That said I think part of the problem is families aren't families anymore. Lots of disinterested parents and divorce, while not as high as they once were, it leads to more single parent households. I played violent video games as a kid such as Hogan's Alley, Golden eye 007 and Grand Theft Auto, I never once had the urge to shoot up a school I went to even if I didn't fit in. Too many, don't have a moral compass whether it is from family or Boy Scouts or a similar outlet. I had both.
We had divorced parents too. Practically all my friends in school (myself included) came from divorced homes. And yet, no mass shootings except for the gang violence that was happening for different motivations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies