Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

My question would be why the lawyer answered any questions about a client. Wouldn't that be covered under lawyer/client priveledge?

For you guys trying to draw a line to Trump with this note that the charges date back to actions in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Let a random crowd gather in D.C., throw a rock, and the odds of hitting a liar are nearly 100 %. IMO
That's true just about everywhere. Since most of us do lie about some things.

But this isn't a random crowd, is it? It's a crowd of highly educated, sophisticated people who actually do know better and have a better grasp of consequences than the average person.

I too am trying to imagine why they were so motivated to lie to the FBI, when they would have had to know how many other people could be implicated and also questioned.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Let a random crowd gather in D.C., throw a rock, and the odds of hitting a liar are nearly 100 %. IMO
Truth.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My question would be why the lawyer answered any questions about a client. Wouldn't that be covered under lawyer/client priveledge?

For you guys trying to draw a line to Trump with this note that the charges date back to actions in 2012.
In this case the withholding of evidence occurred in September 2016.

Also. This is not Gates lawyer.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but the Trumps have been doing business with Russia for quite a while. If this investigation is going where I think it's going - well, the farther back these entanglements existed, the worse the news will be for Trump.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
I eat cornflakes and so does my neighbor who is from India. He works for a company that sells medicine to consumers. Some of those consumers have Russian relatives. One of those Russian relatives has DNA traced back to the same regional origins as Vadamir Putin. Therefore I must be a Russian spy out to alter the US elections in conspiracy to defeat Hillary Clinton.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
wow, Mueller is really uncovering some high level stuff. What a farce.
I know you would like to discount this as just petty nothings but that is so disengenuous...

Did you not read who that attorney is related to?
And who might Family A be---
Manafort maybe but maybe some others w/tangential interest---

Many of the interactions with Trump and his cabal in the past and present involved people who have "personal" relationships with Russians---business and political---
This guy is the son in law of Russian oligarch who was funding Manafort's efforts in the Ukraine
Attorney was fired in 2017 by his law firm---same law firm was paid to whitewash political skullduggery in the Ukraine by Manafort's lobbyist firm===law firm has subsequently returned about half of money it was paid to do the whitewash and other work or potential work--
This connect was tied to Gates investigation but the original light shown on this law firm and Manafort came when Manafort's client was thrown out of the Ukraine and people ransacked his official residence and government offices and found all kinds of "secret" documents and receipts connected to paying Paul Manafort firm for doing their dirty work...
This specific attorney's name was on list with several others working at same law firm and involved in working on the whitewash of Manafort's client---
Two of the attorneys had worked for Obama/WH---don't know their current status, if they are still working at law firm or not...

Manafort's daughter worked at that same law firm--so far nothing negative about her employment has come to light...

The father in law of his guy is head of Alpha Bank I think I read/heard
Alpha Bank server was one of the ones with tenuous connection to weird server action to Trump and DeVos

Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Why did they all lie if they were doing nothing wrong?

Could be one of two things.... -- they are really incompetent (says quite a bit about Trump's judgement of people) or they did something so wrong it was worth the risk of getting caught in a lie rather than just own up to the truth.

These guys are lawyers, they should not the serious consequences of being caught lying. Why would they risk lying if there is nothing there.

Look I don't know what Trump knew or didn't know -- I don't think he's smart enough to understand it all and the complexities. Who knows -- I'm not convinced he is actually guilty.

But I just don't understand why these guys are making deals with Mueller, getting caught lying. Why did Donald Jr, & Kushner lie so much.

Are they really that naive, ignorant, incompetent -- or???/

Just an honest fair question... Can you explain why you don't believe he is actually guilty? Truly, I'm trying to understand.

My logic is if a person is innocent, they don't need to cover up, lie and have other people around them lie and delete emails, destroy files etc. These are not little lies, these are lies that can send them to prison, crush their careers, destroy their families way of life. Why would all these people risk so much if he isn't guilty? I'm not a lawyer but common sense would say, he did something. These aren't stealing cookies out the cookie jar lies.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Where is the Russia involvement in this charge ?
You have to KNOW the background to understand how this ties to Russian involvement
The fact that Gates and Manafort were laundering money hand over fist for Russian interests for decades can't be ignored---
The Russian Govt/Putin/his oligarchs funded the Ukraine president that Manafort hired this guy's law firm to whitewash --- this attorney worked on that deal---
HIS father in law is Russian oligarch who is head of Alpha Bank so he is tied to Russian money/power like many of the people Manafort and Trump had had dealings with for decades
His feet are deep in the trough of Russian money

The info tying the law firm and Manafort to illegal dealings w/Ukraine president who was run out of office were obtained in some measure when the people of Ukraine rebelled and threw the Russian back patsy-president out of office---they stormed his official residence and government building and came away with lot of "secret" government documents tying Manafort to money laundering and other criminal activity

This guy's law firm was supposedly hired at bargain basement price initially and then wound up billing the Ukrainian gov't several million dollars for its work---and was holding lot of that money in stasis to pay for FUTURE work which was not going to be done since the current Ukranian Govt doesn't do business w/Manafort
The Govt asked the US govt to help get the money back from the law firm and some of it was returned...

Old 02-20-2018, 09:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Just an honest fair question... Can you explain why you don't believe he is actually guilty? Truly, I'm trying to understand.

My logic is if a person is innocent, they don't need to cover up, lie and have other people around them lie and delete emails, destroy files etc. These are not little lies, these are lies that can send them to prison, crush their careers, destroy their families way of life. Why would all these people risk so much if he isn't guilty? I'm not a lawyer but common sense would say, he did something. These aren't stealing cookies out the cookie jar lies.
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/thoma...sian-influence

It's a little-noticed, or even known, fact to most of America, but virtually all countries engage in a lot of measures to influence U.S. politics and policy, and rarely confine those efforts to those undertaken by their embassy or consulate staff. Unpalatable though many Americans might find it, few D.C. public affairs consultants operate without ever being approached about working on behalf of some kind of foreign interest, and most who are approached will accept because in general, the money is good and the work can be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies