Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The big deal is it's discrimination, but some of you don't care about that since you're not in the group being discriminated against.
You can't possibly be serious. As a college student decades ago, and having two college-age student children in the early 2010s, I can assure you... PLENTY of people assume college students are the least likely to pay their bill/tab.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You can't possibly be serious. As a college student decades ago, and having two college-age student children in the early 2010s, I can assure you... PLENTY of people assume college students are the least likely to pay their bill/tab.
LOL same is true of the Military when I served. They watched you like a hawk and had all kinds of rules for military folks that didn't apply to locals or tourists.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Perhaps they should ban all fat people from all you can eat restarant buffets.

As for paying up front does that include the tip.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 AM

5,279 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
I'm guessing the operative indicator in the "pay up front" model is... wait for it... COLLEGE STUDENT.

And that is EXACTLY why many eateries on/around college campuses are order -> pay -> find a seat -> get your order kind of places.
I work for a college and the National Chain Jim'n'Nicks had a restaurant near the campus. Only it was Nicks- not Jim'n'Nicks. The main point of differentiation was that you wait in line, pay, and have to food delivered to your table. Which means not free biscuits and waitstaff only refills drinks and clears tables. I was told they do this because when everyone orders the cheapest items it screws with the typical business model. I had not thought about the aspect of walk-outs but that might also play a role. I know you have to run a tab to order drinks which is not the case if you were ordering alcohol with a meal in their regular restaurants.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:18 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
I'm guessing the operative indicator in the "pay up front" model is... wait for it... COLLEGE STUDENT.

And that is EXACTLY why many eateries on/around college campuses are order -> pay -> find a seat -> get your order kind of places.
Try not to ruin the sensational headline with facts and thinking.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:37 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
This is what real racism looks like.
I don't see any links or images??

Old 03-05-2018, 07:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Perhaps he should adjust his business model to make everyone pay up front. That’s not an unusual request for a buffet. It would avoid problems like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Either make them all pay up front, or don't make them all pay up front.

No excuses.

But you gotta admit, that restaurant manager has balls, "you people steal?" Jeezus.

Protests and more widespread animosity against asians by blacks for sure (an scuffle a while ago in a beauty salon supply store between a black woman customer and an asian store clerk, caused blacks to boycott and preach hatred against asian owned stores in states hundreds of miles away that had no ties whatsoever).
Exactly. Make everyone pay up front and you will avoid this issue entirely.

Tension between black Americans and east Asian business owners is nothing new. Look at what happened to Korean-owned (and black-owned, for that matter) businesses during the LA riots in 1992.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:57 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It’s always one group that behaves badly time and again and then complain the consequences of their behavior is racist.
I'm confused...are you insinuating that the customer who was asked to pay up front should not be offended because people that have the same skin color as her behaved poorly in the past? Please correct me and tell me I've got it terribly wrong.

According to you, because previous black customers have stolen in the past, all future black customers should pay in advance? Do I have that right?

This country is falling apart. Decency and kindness are a thing of the past. It saddens me. My father taught me and my siblings to be nice to everyone, regardless of their religion, skin color, politics, or economic status. But apparently things are different here in the 21st century.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I think people should be free to discriminate though. It makes the market more honest and competitive which benefits the consumer.
Yeah, well I think people on the far left and people on the far right and all the racists here should be banished to some island where they can drive each other even more insane than they already are.

What we think doesn't really matter in the real world, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Is it the only restaurant in town? Is it the only available food? Why would anyone want to eat where they aren't wanted?
Discrimination happens everyday to everyone at some point. To some it's only wrong if it happens to a chosen minority. You're right I don't care. I wont spend my money where I am not wanted. I won't cry about it either. I just move on.
The land of the butt hurt. That's why I am now an ex-pat.
That's a whole other issue and I happen to be with you on this point. I've posted before - when it comes to food and drink, why would anyone force the issue? And when it comes to any business, just stop putting money in their pocket if you don't like their philosophy and practices.

It is the land of the butt hurt - but I don't put this in the same category as shoelaces being called nooses or a little black girl dressed in a watermelon costume for Halloween being called racist.

Quote:
What IS your point? Did they make some college students pay ahead of time or all of them? You're comparing apples with oranges.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM

39,227 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I have a Chinese-American friend who bought a liquor store in a black neighborhood. He complains about the black customers on daily basis, but he also said that business is so profitable. He cannot afford to close it down.

As a business owner, I understand that you need to do everything you can to protect your business. But we are living in a reality world here, I have no empathy toward idiots and the Chinese manager in op is an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies