Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 11:29 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

My brother has a bbq place. His friend (a black guy in the Marine Corps) helped him. They were Marine Corps combat buddies. This place is veteran owned, and is operated by veterans. We have white, black, Hispanic working there and they are all veterans.

I remember my brother's black friend told him that he needed to hire blacks because the recipes he used are southern food. Black customers know what good southern bbq is like. My brother is just another "white country boy" in their eyes, and in order to be authentic, you need a black guy working there. LOL

When this bbq restaurant first opened its doors, my brother's friend and his brother worked there for free for a whole month. He also helped my brother with interior decorations, etc. The business was so good. Now the business is well established, the customers are mostly repeat customers, local businesses, college students, and a lot of veterans of all colors.

I don't think this Chinese manager wanted to be a racist. Maybe he just follows his own country's rules. But in the United States, this is not the way you do businesses. It is what it is.

All these said, I hope this restaurant manager and owner could be able to redeem themselves. Opening a business is hard, and don't let this one incidence ruining their dream. Maybe apologize to the black community and have a "free meals" for ALL type of promotion. It still can be done.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
These people don't like blacks but they always open their businesses in black neighborhoods. Why do that if you are going to assume that every black person that comes in is going to steal? Blacks, stop supporting people who don't like you. You're making these people rich and they wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst. SMDH
RIGHT?!?!?!?!?! It's almost like the "Koreatown" in every major American city is established right next to economically-disadvantaged minority neighborhoods, usually predominantly black but sometimes Hispanic, where the Korean small business owners parasitically exploit low-income customers and treat them like trash because they know that these are the people least likely to fight back by opening competing businesses or suing them. It's disgusting, actually, and it's happening all over the country...not just in Los Angeles.

By the way, the black community (particularly in Los Angeles) has never forgotten this case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Latasha_Harlins

If you haven't heard of Latasha Harlins, you should read that.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
These people don't like blacks but they always open their businesses in black neighborhoods. Why do that if you are going to assume that every black person that comes in is going to steal? Blacks, stop supporting people who don't like you. You're making these people rich and they wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst. SMDH
True. Asians don't open businesses in black neighborhoods because they love blacks. It's purely a business decision, since the rents in black neighborhoods are the lowest, and they are low because no one else wants to rent there because of the higher crime rates.

Hate on those Asians all you want, but they still are doing those ghetto neighborhoods a favour by being there. And having a business in those rougher areas as got to be on par with the workers featured on Mike Rowe's show Dirty Jobs.

And are those Asians getting "rich" off of their customers? Well it depends on your definition of "rich", but running a restaurant in not easy money, it's very long hours at work, and restaurants fail all of the time.

And a business can't stay in business very long if there is constant theft, so of course the business owners try to prevent those thefts.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:56 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
They do the same thing here in Canada to Native Aborigina people. It was in the news that long ago. Asian hands down are the most racist of people.
Interesting, because in my own experience, I've found blacks to be the most racist of all people. Especially my black co-workers.

And if you really think about it, no one is colour-blind. Humans are very visual creatures. And when we view another human being, a stranger, we are immediately noting all visual aspects of that person first, even before we start a conversation with them. So we are checking out their looks, their skin colour, shape, facial expression, body attitude and clothing... as we anticipate our impeding interaction with that person or persons.

I'd say that Asians have a particular pride in their nationality, culture and heritage/history. Especially the men-folk. And it's less about looking down on other races and cultures. And not wanting to adopt another culture doesn't count as being racist. They just prefer their traditions and ways over what other people are doing. And if Asians and Jewish people get along and they do tend to intermarry, and I've known several Jewish couples who adopted Chinese babies, it's because their cultures are so similar in their family values and seeking academic success.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. Asians don't open businesses in black neighborhoods because they love blacks. It's purely a business decision, since the rents in black neighborhoods are the lowest, and they are low because no one else wants to rent there because of the higher crime rates.

Hate on those Asians all you want, but they still are doing those ghetto neighborhoods a favour by being there. And having a business in those rougher areas as got to be on par with the workers featured on Mike Rowe's show Dirty Jobs.

And are those Asians getting "rich" off of their customers? Well it depends on your definition of "rich", but running a restaurant in not easy money, it's very long hours at work, and restaurants fail all of the time.

And a business can't stay in business very long if there is constant theft, so of course the business owners try to prevent those thefts.
That actually brings up a very good point. Why aren't there more Black-owned businesses in those very same Black neighborhoods? A BIG reason Blacks are disproportionately unable to grow their wealth is because so very few are entrepreneurial. It didn't used to be that way. Before Black vs. White business communities were considered "separate but equal" and consequently, "the devil," plenty of prominent entrepreneurial Black business owners and professionals absolutely thrived.

Now, they're just put down and called 'Uncle Toms' for... "acting white."

Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,360 times
Anyone worked at a low-mid tier restaurant before, chime in. Let us be honest, who are the most common people to dash and dine? Lets be honest, emotions asides.

Hint, it ain't the Mormons, it ain't the middle-upper class, it ain't the elderly, it ain't the repeat regular customers, it ain't the local baseball team,

Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Anyone worked at a low-mid tier restaurant before, chime in. Let us be honest, who are the most common people to dash and dine? Lets be honest, emotions asides.
Plenty of experience, here, during my own college years... High school teens and college students. Without a doubt.

And yes, white kids do it, too.

Why do you think rental car companies won't rent cars to those under age 25? Of ANY race/ethnicity. Think about that.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
He wasn't playing victim. He makes six figures. It's called irony. It's funny.
So you're claiming your black friend actually was implying that detecting thieves is synonymous with detecting "negroes". Of course not. He was implying that the stores theft detector is synonymous with racism. I don't care how many figures a black person makes most of them still play the race card.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
This is what real racism looks like.
The restaurant owner is a member of an oppressed class, thus does not possess the power neccessary to be racist.

Verdict: Not racist.

Source: popular sociological theory

Old 03-05-2018, 12:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The restaurant owner is a member of an oppressed class, thus does not possess the power neccessary to be racist.

Verdict: Not racist.

Source: popular sociological theory
That's true. We are constantly told only darn whites can be racist. So "people of color" cannot be racist against each other he he he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies