Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times

Advertisements

I can actually get behind this. We need public broadcasting all the more now that the advertising-driven news media model no longer works.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,122,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I can actually get behind this. We need public broadcasting all the more now that the advertising-driven news media model no longer works.
I'd be cool with it if they didn't steal my money at gunpoint to pay for it.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:41 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Thank the special interests that wrote the bill...

Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Getting exposed to the truth by NPR or PBS, is the equivalent of getting whipped, for the Republicans. I visited the PBS website just now, to see if they had any comment on this money they were granted in the legislation. I shouldn't have been surprised to find no reference to it, except what might have been contained in their regular news programs, about the spending bill. But I watched their show tonight and heard nothing about what they had gotten. I then realized that they would want to keep a low profile about this federal money, because it might reduce the amount their supporters would contribute. Maintaining an image of being poor and on the verge of shutdown, has been their policy, ever since the Republicans started putting the financial squeeze on them, decades ago.
That makes no sense. They’ve been funded in every single budget for decades. It’s not news if they get funded again. Only if the amount went drastically up or down would they need to call it out today.

When they do the more in depth piece on the budget that is sure to come, it will be mentioned then.

Does their funding even amount to 1% of the total budget anyway? AND it’s not enough to sustain them, they have to fundraise anyway. Talk about petty.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Thank the special interests that wrote the bill...
The military also gets my stolen money. As does the entire federal government.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:13 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I know you all are gleeful over this, but this isn't all on POTUS. He didn't write the bill, and had he vetoed it, it likely would have been overridden. I blame Congress 100%.

And don't tell me "Trump is the leader of the party." McConnell and Ryan are sleazy little weasels and always have been.
And attitudes like this^^^ is why that abomination was signed by the president.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Seriously now, how much of that $445M was yours?

Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Seriously now, how much of that $445M was yours?
I have around 30-32% of my hard-earned income stolen from me by the federal government each year. It's 30-32% that I don't have, regardless of how it's being spent.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Getting exposed to the truth by NPR or PBS, is the equivalent of getting whipped, for the Republicans. I visited the PBS website just now, to see if they had any comment on this money they were granted in the legislation. I shouldn't have been surprised to find no reference to it, except what might have been contained in their regular news programs, about the spending bill. But I watched their show tonight and heard nothing about what they had gotten. I then realized that they would want to keep a low profile about this federal money, because it might reduce the amount their supporters would contribute. Maintaining an image of being poor and on the verge of shutdown, has been their policy, ever since the Republicans started putting the financial squeeze on them, decades ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
That makes no sense. They’ve been funded in every single budget for decades. It’s not news if they get funded again. Only if the amount went drastically up or down would they need to call it out today.

When they do the more in depth piece on the budget that is sure to come, it will be mentioned then.

Does their funding even amount to 1% of the total budget anyway? AND it’s not enough to sustain them, they have to fundraise anyway. Talk about petty.

You should update your information on PBS/NPR. For decades, only a small amount of their operating budget has come directly from federal government funding. Corporate and individual sponsors and money generated from ordinary people in their fundraising drives, has been the source of the majority of it. For example, an average of 50% to 60% of their budget comes from individual donations and grants alone. A lot of money also comes to them from the states, rather than the federal government.

I just read an article, dated Feb. 12, that said Trump's budget proposal at that time, was to eliminate all federal funding for PBS/NPR, over the next two years. So Trump was a big loser in one more way, with this passage of legislation. There seems to be no connection to what he thinks he wants and what actually happens. He's not only the worst president in our history, but also the most ineffective (very thankful, about that last part).

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-23-2018 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 12:19 AM

193 posts, read 92,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Can you give some examples of Republicans getting whipped by NPR?
Thats comical . Come on

fresh air with terry gross

morning edition

all things considered

Even when they tried to find out why Democrats lost they hired a anti trump republican to do indivisible and it turned into alot of anti trump republicans and liberals bonding

Whatever, npr is mediocre neo-liberalism for the most part outside of a few shows , so much other crap in this omnibus and the last spending bill. It is all just a drop in the bucket of crap

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/944626353088942080
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies