Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 01:24 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I have around 30-32% of my hard-earned income stolen from me by the federal government each year. It's 30-32% that I don't have, regardless of how it's being spent.
You need to find a better accountant.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I must say that I’m skeptical. But if it’s true, it’s hilarious. The Religious Right gets played once again.
Yep - Planned Parent Funding in Omnibus Bill

Old 03-24-2018, 01:29 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,769,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architech100 View Post
I thought he was great but on the debates he was terrible and just an ok speaker. he got into it with chris christie over privacy and libertarian issues at the debates was a huge mistake . Was very poor campaigner and debater overall. He was done by the Iowa caucuses.

President trump took pat buchanans playbook and won, america first trade policies, infrastructure, anti immigration / pro rust belt/middle america etc. The guy gave a good speech and was in the zeitgeist , america first populism and nationalism are ideas whose time has come

Rand is a great guy but he is an intellectual. ron paul / ayn rand /libertarianism/ and poor campaigning is not going to win you the presidency. He wasnt very good at speeches as well. I love him as a senator though and I pray he never resigns, one of the best out there for sure and one of the very few I respect
So you fell for the used car salesman with the intellect of a walnut and an aversion to reading. He also appealed to the inner racist of many.

What’s wrong with being an intellectual? At least an intellectual would READ the presidential daily briefing.

So, you were royally had by the con man from Queens and look at the omnibus bill he’s given us. Judging by your post, you’re still idolizing that orange turd.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:34 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And Trump signed it, with nary a word of protest. This is the number one issue for the pretend "Christians," and why they always vote Republican, and they were screwed over by the GOP yet again.

Do you think they're smart enough to finally figure out that Republicans don't care about PP or the issue of abortion, except around election time, when the GOP uses it to dupe them into voting for their party year in and year out?

That's a rhetorical question. Of course they aren't. They'll be lining up to vote Republican again in November, and the GOP will use abortion to get them to the polls yet again. And the saps will fall for it yet again, just like they always do.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:13 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,122,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You need to find a better accountant.
I have one. Without him I'd be around 38%.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:32 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Can you give some examples of Republicans getting whipped by NPR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by architech100 View Post
Thats comical . Come on

fresh air with terry gross

morning edition

all things considered
That is not giving examples. All you've done is listed some shows on NPR.

Quote:
Even when they tried to find out why Democrats lost they hired a anti trump republican to do indivisible and it turned into alot of anti trump republicans and liberals bonding
Closer to a genuine example, but still no cigar. Indivisible was an opinion call-in show, so obviously you are going to hear a lot of anti-Trumpsters. But didn't you also hear some pro-Trump people as well? And - most importantly - do you have any evidence to suggest that the host excluded any pro-Trump voices in favor of the anti-Trump people? Or are you simply assuming that this sort of favoritism occurred? Or is it possible that, if more anti-Trump voiced were heard on the program, it is simply because the anti-Trump people were super-pissed-off and, on average, more likely to be vocal at that time?

BTW: Notice the difference between giving an example or giving evidence verses simply re-asserting your opinion or re-stating your intuitions. People seem to forget that actual empirical evidence often shows that reality is counterintuitive, which is exactly why empirical evidence is so valuable in the first place. Sometimes the "obvious" answer is not the correct one. This is why I ask for examples and evidence. Mere random opinions on the internet are worth about as much as we pay for them, and sometimes they're not even worth that much.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:52 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I listen to the local NPR station on the weekends and WOW it is a never ending bash of all things Trump.

I have been listening for many years before the first Obama election and never realized how Left leaning they were.
The second go around with Obama was just as bad but what really got me was how many stories they used to have about the struggle of gay kids living in the middle east.

NPR is nothing but a propaganda machine for the Left. Today they are having another on air fund raising and you have to wonder why when the Feds just handed them $445 million.

Here is a question: How much is in the budget for Right wing radio?

Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I listen to the local NPR station on the weekends and WOW it is a never ending bash of all things Trump.
And again I will ask for specific examples of Trump-bashing. NPR has transcripts of all their shows. If there is never-ending Trump bashing, then some specific examples should be easy to offer.

It is outrageously easy for an anonymous poster on the internet to assert any old random opinion. A bot could do that. I really wish people wouldn't waste everyone's time with unsupported generic assertions. You don't even have to defend your claim (although it would be great if you did), but at a minimum you should give some examples of what you mean. That would give us the opportunity to discuss whether or not your examples are really examples of what you think they are. And if your example really is an example of what you say it is, then your claim will have a lot more impact. It might even wake some people up. And isn't that what you want? What is the point posting your opinion if you don't given anyone any reason to think about it? An opinion without any evidence or examples is merely an opinion; easily ignored. But an opinion with examples and evidence is, at least potentially, thought-provoking. It offers the potential for constructive conversation.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 03-24-2018 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 09:07 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Getting exposed to the truth by NPR or PBS, is the equivalent of getting whipped, for the Republicans. I visited the PBS website just now, to see if they had any comment on this money they were granted in the legislation. I shouldn't have been surprised to find no reference to it, except what might have been contained in their regular news programs, about the spending bill. But I watched their show tonight and heard nothing about what they had gotten. I then realized that they would want to keep a low profile about this federal money, because it might reduce the amount their supporters would contribute. Maintaining an image of being poor and on the verge of shutdown, has been their policy, ever since the Republicans started putting the financial squeeze on them, decades ago.
hmmm... I contribute to NPR/PBS, and have always known about the federal financial support they receive. So have a lot of other people who regularly support them.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

I have been listening for many years before the first Obama election and never realized how Left leaning they were.
The second go around with Obama was just as bad but what really got me was how many stories they used to have about the struggle of gay kids living in the middle east.

NPR is nothing but a propaganda machine for the Left. Today they are having another on air fund raising and you have to wonder why when the Feds just handed them $445 million.

Here is a question: How much is in the budget for Right wing radio?
You need to listen to more than just "Wait Wait Don't tell Me", since that is a comedy show, and will, of course, have lots of jokes about politics and the news of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies