Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If this is what they were aiming for, they failed miserably tonight.
Last night wasn’t political at all. I took it as more about parenting styles from the older generation and younger generation.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Last night wasn’t political at all. I took it as more about parenting styles from the older generation and younger generation.
It was stereotypical in its portrayal.

Couldn't decide if Darlene's parenting style was because of the marriage splitting up, the new parenting style, etc. I think it ended up saying it was a combination. Darlene is struggling, blah blah blah.

It's funny because in one breath parents today are accused of being helicopter parents that allow their kids no freedom but then folks seem to think that parents today are letting their kids do whatever.

Meh -- it's been the same discussion for the last 100 years --- the parents before never think the parents of today do as well.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It was stereotypical in its portrayal.

Couldn't decide if Darlene's parenting style was because of the marriage splitting up, the new parenting style, etc. I think it ended up saying it was a combination. Darlene is struggling, blah blah blah.

It's funny because in one breath parents today are accused of being helicopter parents that allow their kids no freedom but then folks seem to think that parents today are letting their kids do whatever.

Meh -- it's been the same discussion for the last 100 years --- the parents before never think the parents of today do as well.
True!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:06 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
The “Roseanne” bump translated into a good night for “The Middle,” which was up significantly airing immediately after the revival with a 2.2 and 8.3 million viewers. That is a new season high for the comedy series.
Now, The Middle is a family show that I can relate too. They are so much like my family that I've often felt like the writers must have been spying on us while I was watching it. I'll be really sad when that show ends this season. It's a great show (and no politics involved).

Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
For those who missed last night's episode:

Darlene's daughter is hogging the washer/dryer as she cleans up clothes she's selling on Etsy to earn money to go back to Chicago. Turns out she's laundering stolen clothes she gets from someone at school.

Dan gets a stair lift from a nearby home after the owner dies. Jokes about stealing it.

Roseanne shoves Darlene's daughter's head down into the kitchen sink, throws a leg over her back, and sprays her head with water.

Roseanne gets into the shower with this teenage daughter because she's been in there too long.

One-liners were lame. Roseanne refers to Etsy as Betsy. Not much in the way of humor.

The whole show was sort of disturbing.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 04-04-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Darlene's daughter is hogging the washer/dryer as she cleans up clothes she's selling on Etsy to earn money to go back to Chicago. Turns out she's laundering stolen clothes she gets from someone at school.

Dan gets a stair lift from a nearby home after the owner dies. Jokes about stealing it.

Roseanne shoves Darlene's daughter's head down into the kitchen sink, throws a leg over her back, and sprays her head with water.

At the end, Roseanne gets into the shower with this teenage daughter because she's been in there too long.

One-liners were lame. Roseanne refers to Etsy as Betsy. Not much in the way of humor.

Is any of this hyperbole? If not, I'm glad I didn't watch it.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

At the end, Roseanne gets into the shower with this teenage daughter because she's been in there too long.

Fantastic show again this week! Glad to see some who lack any sense of humor (of course unless it's anti-Trump, then it's funny to uber liberal people ) are getting their panties in a wad...

Can't wait until the next episode!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:11 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Fantastic show again this week! Glad to see some who lack any sense of humor (of course unless it's anti-Trump, then it's funny to uber liberal people ) are getting their panties in a wad...

Nobody's panties are in a wad. No one is butthurt. No liberal tears to lick. Disappointing, I know.

So what did you find funny about this episode?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
No, you've kind of missed the point. You are telling the working class that they SHOULD vote for people who espouse universal healthcare and unions. The working class are decidedly AGAINST those candidates. Who the heck are YOU to tell THEM what policies they should support? They are quite capable of deciding for themselves -- that's what democracy is supposed to be about, isn't it? You don't agree with them, and that's your right. It IS your opinion that these policies are what would serve the working class best. The working class voters themselves, though, disagree.

Again, instead of insulting these people and calling them "gullibles", how about listening to them and trying to do the type of things that will attract their votes? Or you can ignore them as the Dems have been. How did that work out for the Dems in 2016?

You just cannot seem to understand that perhaps the people themselves have a better grasp on what they need from a political candidate in particular and from government in general than you do. That type of elitist thinking is what got Dems in trouble in 2016, and I frankly see no sign that they've learned the lesson. Or perhaps they just really don't care about going after the votes of white, working class Americans.

Sure, Roseanne's not a conservative show. It's a show about white, working-class America. As I've said, these people are NOT really conservatives, but they're not liberals either. They have cross-dressers, homosexuals, and racially mixed family members. Even among those who lean conservative, do you really believe that ALL conservatives are racist bigots? I hope for your own sake that you do not. That is a caricature that is promoted by the left. Sure, there are conservatives who are racists, but by and large, conservatives behave quite similarly to the characters portrayed on Roseanne.
If Trump voters think they will get 1/2 of what they need or want from Trump I hope they will not be surprised.

We watched Rosanne this week due to all the talk. We were big fans when the program first aired. Traditional family values conservative Republicans hated it because they discussed social issues. Life long friends and relatives thought it was the worst program ever put on tv and I was nutz for letting my kids watch it.

It appeared to us they were actually reading their lines. Sad.

Last edited by crone; 04-04-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

I'm so sorry to disappoint you. I'm an uber liberal--actually I call myself a progressive--and my panties were definitely not in a wad after last night's episode. I actually enjoyed it.

So sorry to burst your little Trumpie bubble.

Last edited by JAMS14; 04-04-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies