Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,753,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I did, all throughout high school and the early part of college. It was that or starve.

Stop acting like Americans are nothing but lazy blobs of uselessness who sit around and await cushy office jobs.
As an American, I can attest to the fact that none of my peers wish to pick fruit. Matter of fact as I child I was forbidden of Eve. tHINKiNg about even taking a fast food job. I don't see Americans lining up to cut grass and bus tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
As an American, I can attest to the fact that none of my peers wish to pick fruit. Matter of fact as I child I was forbidden of Eve. tHINKiNg about even taking a fast food job. I don't see Americans lining up to cut grass and bus tables.
My hubby bussed tables the first 2 years during college summer breaks until he was promoted to waiter his last 2 years of summer jobs in college. he paid for most of his college tuition with those summer jobs. you are wrong!

Old 05-05-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with this lazy American BS! Illegal immigration is against the law and there are no jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage.
Quote. "Fair WAGE". The jobs that the illegal immigrants are doing are WELL below fair wage. It's props up small businesses and the service industry. My idea of a fair wage for picking fruit in the hit buggy sun is 40 bucks an hour with full bennys and a pension...... I am as American as mom's apple pie. No way I hell am I going to cut your lawn for anything less than 25 bucks an hour with the bennys. Figure that one out.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My hubby bussed tables for 2 years during college summer breaks until he was promoted to waiter. he paid for most of his college tuition that way. you are wrong!
So what you are saying is Americans want those jobs???? Really? So Employers would rather deal with some undocumented guy with no ID than an American Citizen? Something doesn't add up. Btw. That's great that hubby pulled himself up by his own bootstraps. Kudos to him.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:38 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times
Quote:
We don't need illegals to pick fruit (or people on the 20-year "temporary" program for natural disasters)--we have a legal guest worker program for that. See post #69 in this thread.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 PM

15,630 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is Americans want those jobs???? Really? So Employers would rather deal with some undocumented guy with no ID than an American Citizen? Something doesn't add up. Btw. That's great that hubby pulled himself up by his own bootstraps. Kudos to him.
He worked very hard every summer full-time plus weekends bussing tables and during school with part-time jobs. he paid for his undergrad degree and post grad degree with no loans. I agree. kudos to him. he isn't unique.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-05-2018 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-05-2018, 07:57 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Hey like it or not, it's called "temporary" for a reason. These folks should have planned for it.

In the larger picture of geopolitics, it's important that they do return to their home countries to implement their new found skills and wealth into the economy, and i'd be in full support of NGO assistance in helping them to become acclimated.

Other than that...yeah, if it's time to go it's time to go.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Well done Mr. President.

Trump administration to send 57,000 Hondurans in the United States home - Sun Sentinel

People have been taking advantage of our lax immigration laws for decades.
I never understood why programs stayed in fact as long as they did.

The one good thing Obama did was to end wet foot, dry foot.

Soon Europe can be added to countries that are unsafe.

Germany, Sweden, France, Belgium, The Netherlands Etc have a huge problem with violance, rapes and anti semitism, etc by muslim extremist. Just today, three people stabbed by a jihadist who yelled Allah Akbar in Holland.

A Dutch singer by the Name of Gerard Joling in an interview mentioned the fear for a civil war as the country has let into many Muslims that don’t accept the culture of the native country where they want to live. This singer admitted to having weapons in his house after a violent burglary took place in his house and him wearing a bullet proof vest.

The media is quiet in these countries as the violance is many times higher than reported.

https://infoglitz.com/netherlandseng...e-netherlands/

Old 05-05-2018, 08:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Quote:
Plenty of people have done it for eons. A lot of those jobs can go to teenagers who work summertime and part time anyway.

I did them as a kid myself.

Any fast food joint, or landscaping business can go to any high school or unemployment center, hand out flyers, and have people lined up for blocks. If I were a parent with a teenage kid, I'd sign them up myself; especially during the summer breaks, where they would simply hang inside all day playing on their iphone.

The only people who want illegals to do these things anyway are the people who basically want slaves.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:04 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,209,554 times
Fewer people willing and able to work. Will hurt the economy. That would be called fiscal conservatism.

These people work, get paid, do low paying jobs and will be told to get out. All this when almost 38% of the population are out of the work force.
See Japans economics for the last 2 decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies