Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:50 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
He worked very hard every summer full-time plus weekends bussing tables and during school with part-time jobs. he paid for his undergrad degree and post grad degree with no loans. I agree. kudos to him. he isn't unique.
That's true. I worked two jobs every summer to supplement my merit based scholarship. They were on the books jobs that I had to pay income taxes for. Started working and saving for college at 14 years old. Legally. My point is that there are jobs employers DONT want Americans for. They encourage the flow of illegal immigrants . We have to solve that problem first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 08:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m not sure she realizes how it sounds to say those things. My daughter has been working in a restaurant since she turned 16, and she has plenty of other teenagers working there, Black, white and Hispanic. It seems that American teenagers here are just fine with bussing tables and cleaning dishes and stuff.

When I was a teenager, it was younger teens who would do people’s lawns for pay until they were old enough to get a job somewhere else. Now they can’t compete with the lawn services with three employees who can knock it out in 20 minutes (always illegal immigrants).

How are teens supposed to learn work ethic and the value of money if they’re not allowed to work? It’s good for them. Parents should encourage it even if it’s only during the summer. I remember my daughter’s first birthday after she got her job and she got $100 total cash from her various grandparents, and she looked at it and said, do you know how long I’d have to work to make this much money? That was a good lesson for her in my opinion.
I am a he. Lol. It's Afrique NY. I got my first job at 14. At a warehouse. On the books. I worked hard after school and on weekends. The point I made is that MY parents felt they worked too hard to give us a better life so we shouldn't be going backwards. We were not allowed menial jobs. That was my point. Those were my parents values. Mine are different now that I am an adult but I would rather my kids aim high.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:35 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I am a he. Lol. It's Afrique NY. I got my first job at 14. At a warehouse. On the books. I worked hard after school and on weekends. The point I made is that MY parents felt they worked too hard to give us a better life so we shouldn't be going backwards. We were not allowed menial jobs. That was my point. Those were my parents values. Mine are different now that I am an adult but I would rather my kids aim high.
Understandable. I guess the best advice we can give our own kids is to try to be the best in whatever job you are in and good things will come to you. If you are the designated sweeper make that floor the cleanest anyone’s ever seen. People like that stand out.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:42 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrL...LbjEXX9lQ&t=0s

Better late than never.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
As an American, I can attest to the fact that none of my peers wish to pick fruit. Matter of fact as I child I was forbidden of Eve. tHINKiNg about even taking a fast food job. I don't see Americans lining up to cut grass and bus tables.
Well, not all of us were raised to think we're simply born too good for certain types of jobs.

Those types of jobs were invaluable to gaining experience that allowed me to get progressively higher paying jobs.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:56 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My hubby bussed tables the first 2 years during college summer breaks until he was promoted to waiter his last 2 years of summer jobs in college. he paid for most of his college tuition with those summer jobs. you are wrong!

Same reason I also graduated with zero student debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies