Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not talking about the ACTUAL EXISTING laws. I'm talking about the mindset of those saying, "Well I did X why can't they?"

I know numerous immigrants - legal and illegal. Neither make me feel unsafe. Ironically, I can name several Americans who scare the crap out of me.
Mindset is irrelevant. So does who gives you the warm and fuzzies.

I cannot go to any other country in the world and cross their borders illegally. If I have children with me, it is very likely they will separate them from me as I will be thrown in jail. It's expected.

I don't expect anyone to say "hey your kids gave us puppy eyes and a wimper, aahh what the heck, you can stay."

Australia patrols their waters with military ships and has an island where they keep refugees since they don't allow them on the mainland. Australia doesn't want them, in fact they were trying to dump them on us.

This is reality. The real world. How things are really happening as we speak.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Good grief!

Why do they have to come to the US? Why aren't they asking for asylum in Mexico? Mexico is a safe country that has given asylum to migrants. There is no reason for them to come to the US, is there?

What don't you understand about that? Why are you so fixated on the US?
Because the US is the one who is going to break up families that ask for asylum. If the US wants to have Mexico be the ones where the refugees have to stay, then the US should make the same arrangement they did with Canada. If that is not in place, the US MUST follow the law and treaties, like ALL other signatories to the Convention on Refugees do.

After all, there already is a trust problem internationally that the US can not be relied to stick to its agreements. Proud of that yet?

US used to be the shining light the rest of the world looked up to. No more.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Yeah, we take in over 1 million legal immigrants a year and many refugees but we're no longer a shining light to the rest of the world? (insert rolling eyes here). I guess unless we take in the whole world's needy and thereby commit national suicide then the above is irrelevant? lol.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Because the US is the one who is going to break up families that ask for asylum. If the US wants to have Mexico be the ones where the refugees have to stay, then the US should make the same arrangement they did with Canada. If that is not in place, the US MUST follow the law and treaties, like ALL other signatories to the Convention on Refugees do.

After all, there already is a trust problem internationally that the US can not be relied to stick to its agreements. Proud of that yet?

People from Latin American countries are not refugees. People vacation in there. Americans retire there.

Argument is invalid.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
People from Latin American countries are not refugees. People vacation in there. Americans retire there.

Argument is invalid.
Exactly!^^^^

Refugees aren't obligated to go to America. If they are in danger, then they need to ask asylum in the first safe country they enter. If they are heading north, that country would be Mexico.

There is no law that tells asylum seekers that they have to walk through Mexico to get asylum in the US.

Many people have gotten asylum in Mexico.

I don't get why "Norm" doesn't get that.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:04 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:

Read this:

https://www.voanews.com/a/mexico-gov...s/4329992.html

Once again, Mexico has given asylum to so-called refugees.

Once again, these "migrants" who are showing up at the US borders aren't refugees who are in fear for their lives. If they had that fear, they would have gone to the Mexican authorities.

For them, it's all about coming to the US for freebies. Period.

Why do you think the US should take in every single person who claims to be a refugee?

If the so-called "refugees" from Central America don't trust the US, then good! We already have millions of illegal aliens who are sucking us dry.

Yes, I'm proud that the AG and the president are standing up and saying "enough"! Perhaps if you've seen your neighborhood and schools destroyed by illegal aliens, you would have a clue.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:13 PM

3,843 posts, read 1,789,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Read this:

https://www.voanews.com/a/mexico-gov...s/4329992.html

Once again, Mexico has given asylum to so-called refugees.

Once again, these "migrants" who are showing up at the US borders aren't refugees who are in fear for their lives. If they had that fear, they would have gone to the Mexican authorities.

For them, it's all about coming to the US for freebies. Period.

Why do you think the US should take in every single person who claims to be a refugee?

If the so-called "refugees" from Central America don't trust the US, then good! We already have millions of illegal aliens who are sucking us dry.

Yes, I'm proud that the AG and the president are standing up and saying "enough"! Perhaps if you've seen your neighborhood and schools destroyed by illegal aliens, you would have a clue.
Well said.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post

Argument is invalid.
Then let the process that is US law decide that, not some bureaucrat. US is a nation of laws, right? Or is that no longer the case now that the orange one is at the helm?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:23 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
Just wondering, shouldn't the USA government have better morals and judgement than separating children from their parents? Seems like the humanitarian thing to do.
Why don't you step up and support these criminals instead of just crying???

Old 05-16-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Why don't you step up and support these criminals instead of just crying???
Refugees are not criminals. There is a process of law that America has in place. However, there are a ton of 'Muricans who just don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies