Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Then let the process that is US law decide that, not some bureaucrat. US is a nation of laws, right? Or is that no longer the case now that the orange one is at the helm?
So then you agree, you can't claim to be a refugee if you're from any country south of the border. Not refugees, don't pass go, don't collect $200.

Unless that is your intention, to exploit the definition of a refugee as a loophole to get in.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
So then you agree, you can't claim to be a refugee if you're from any country south of the border. Not refugees, don't pass go, don't collect $200.

Unless that is your intention, to exploit the definition of a refugee as a loophole to get in.
Don't put words in my mouth. What I have continually said, refugees are to be treated as determined by laws and treaty. The USA is OBLIGATED to let refugee claimants in, and to use the process of law to determine if they are real or not qualified.

I would suggest those from El Salvador and Venezuela would be at the top of the list who could be legitimate. I would also suggest those from Argentina or Panama are not.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Refugees have to stop in the first safe country that will accept asylum seekers. That would be Mexico. These people claim they are afraid of gang members. Thanks to our foolish immigration laws and lax enforcement, those gangs they fear are here to greet and recruit them.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Hello, I am Wilmer Valderrama. I came to seek refuge as gangs have threatened me in San Salvador. I came to seek refuge from these gangs in your country, that has the same gangs I'm escaping, and I don't speak the language, and I also think it's racist against people like me. I don't have any paperwork to prove any of my claims. The lawyer from the country that I could reside in and easily assimilate into, oh and doesn't separate families, said you must admit me as a refugee.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Refugees have to stop in the first safe country that will accept asylum seekers. That would be Mexico. These people claim they are afraid of gang members. Thanks to our foolish immigration laws and lax enforcement, those gangs they fear are here to greet and recruit them.
Once again, you are wrong. Only Canada and the USA have an agreement that the first country a person lands in is the place they must ask for refugee status. Mexico and USA do not have such an agreement.

USA is obligated to let the refugee process play out. It's the law and it's international treaty. You wouldn't want the USA to be known as welching on international treaties, do you?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
^^^^Spot on post!

I don't know how there are those who don't understand this.

There is no law that says these so-called refugees have to bypass Mexico and head straight to the US.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^Spot on post!

I don't know how there are those who don't understand this.

There is no law that says these so-called refugees have to bypass Mexico and head straight to the US.
How many times do you have to be told, the USA is obligated by its own laws and by treaty to accept legitimate refugees, and to give due process to all refugee claimants. There are no exceptions.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
No, No, No....

Don't seperate and resettle the kids....

SEND THEM ALL HOME....
They want to jail adults because sending them back (to Mexico or elsewhere?) to outside the United States isn't enough incentive to make them not come in again for the economic and social benefits.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:22 AM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
How many times do you have to be told, the USA is obligated by its own laws and by treaty to accept legitimate refugees, and to give due process to all refugee claimants. There are no exceptions.
You've yet to answer my simple question.

Where does it say that so-called asylum seekers heading north have to go to the US? There is no such law. Read the link I posted for you. Mexico has accepted many of them.

Show us all where it is written that these people are forbidden to request asylum in Mexico. You won't find anything because, once again, they can ---and do --- apply for asylum in Mexico and many get accepted.

This is not a difficult issue.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies