Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:10 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Trump's Chief of Staff Kelly was clear that the children were not being taken from their true parents over fear of pimping but rather as a "tough deterrent."

Kelly stated they would be placed in "foster care or whatever."

John Kelly defends separating immigrant children from parents at border - Business Insider

Old 05-26-2018, 07:20 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So, it's OK to commit this particular crime?
The point is not all crimes are equal.

An undocumented border crosser who brought her kid to make a better life for themselves isn't the same as a murderer? If you think so then you might as well through all common sense out the window.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:22 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
"Children are separated from parents at border"

Good, their parents need to be charged with child abuse.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

“We have always separated families under two situations, one when we can’t establish them as a parent and that child is being trafficked,” Homan said, adding that migrant smugglers sometimes pose as parents to children that are not theirs. “The second situation when we separate is when we prosecute.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1I82AB

Are they unable to prove they are the true parents of the children (not pimps) or are they being prosecuted for a crime they committed?
DNA would quickly establish that proof and since when do we prosecute people by throwing their children in "foster care or whatever?"

Supposedly we are a systems of laws. What are the charges? Where are the judges?

If the ruling is to send them back to wherever they came from, then send them all back. Don't steal their children.

No one in good conscience can defend this inhumane practice.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Children are separated from parents at border"

Good, their parents need to be charged with child abuse.
Then complete the investigation. Charge them. Have the hearing. Let the judge determine whether they are fit parents.

But grabbing their children and sending them off to who knows where is wrong.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:25 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
Our asylum laws exclude anyone that didn't apply for asylum in the first safe country they entered. Which ain't here.

Nobody from Mexico is eligible and that means nobody south of that is eligible either.

In any case, if you want to be a criminal, then you can't complain when your kids are caught up in your crimes and you're separated from them. Nobody owes you a "family suite" in their jail.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:28 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Who cares turn them all around at the border and send them back to wherever they came from as an intact family of freeloaders looking for welfare benefits to live on.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:43 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The point is not all crimes are equal.

An undocumented border crosser who brought her kid to make a better life for themselves isn't the same as a murderer? If you think so then you might as well through all common sense out the window.
Not everybody who goes to jail is a "murderer". There are various types of crimes, as you well know. In each and every case, when parents go to jail, they are separated from their kids.

Why is it okay with you when parents go to jail and are separated from their kids but not okay with illegal aliens being separated from their kids? What part of "illegal" don't you understand? And why do you hold double standards?

Old 05-26-2018, 07:49 PM

23,637 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump's Chief of Staff Kelly was clear that the children were not being taken from their true parents over fear of pimping but rather as a "tough deterrent."

Kelly stated they would be placed in "foster care or whatever."

John Kelly defends separating immigrant children from parents at border - Business Insider
Oh stop with the spin. NPR was the one that used "tough deterrent" in their question to Kelly, Kelly was simply responding to it. And, the "foster care or whatever" comment, foster care is a limited resource and may be stretched fairly thin in taking care of citizen children. The whatever doesn't mean a dank cellar, ya know.

The NPR and Kelly transcript, from the link that was within the article you linked...

"NPR: Family separation stands as a pretty tough deterrent.

Kelly: It could be a tough deterrent — would be a tough deterrent. A much faster turnaround on asylum seekers.

NPR: Even though people say that's cruel and heartless to take a mother away from her children?

Kelly: I wouldn't put it quite that way. The children will be taken care of — put into foster care or whatever. But the big point is they elected to come illegally into the United States and this is a technique that no one hopes will be used extensively or for very long."
(NPR & Kelly names added by me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:49 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
I would not be surprised if People Without Borders and other well-funded organizations are actively encouraging parents to bring their children, esp. the little ones and babies. They want to force our hand on open borders. The optics tug at the heart strings, and it's easier to play on American compassion than it is to change the culture of crime and corruption in those countries.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies