Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
{shrug} it is the illegals that are trying to use the children as pawns. Shame on them.
Suggesting they use their kids as pawns just says so much more about you. Separating kids from parents, is cruel and u-n-a-m-e-r-i-c-a-n. We're much better people than that. Americans are good people and it makes me wonder if you are perhaps just a Russian troll trying to cause discourse.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:22 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Even better:

US lost track of 1,500 immigrant children, but says it's not 'legally responsible'

Several schools worth of children gone, and it isn't their problem.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
We should reunite these parents and children back in the country they came from or in Canada.
You mean like the Underground Railroad?

Many of the negative comments here are identical to comments made back when the Underground Railroad was conveying enslaved people to freedom:

"They're breaking the law! Who do they think they are? They had it good back home, why did they leave? Why didn't they stay where they belonged and work to make it better if they thought it was so bad, instead of endangering their children? Send them back! What kind of parent endangers their child by taking them on such a long journey to a strange land? If they wanted to stay together, they should have stayed at home. Separate the kids from the parents - that'll teach 'em! I don't feel one bit sorry for them, they knew what they were doing. They deserved it!".

And so on, and on, and on...

What a sad commentary on humanity- and on the all too common lack of humanity in our country, both then and now.

Just listen to yourselves. Then listen to the cries of the scared children, and the weeping of the parents.

There has to be a better way. This is not right.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
When did America get all these new foster homes ? I don't think we have enough to cover the current needs. Whether you agree or disagree with the policy, saying we're going to place these kids into foster homes is insane.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:50 PM

23,644 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanical oxen View Post
Suggesting they use their kids as pawns just says so much more about you. Separating kids from parents, is cruel and u-n-a-m-e-r-i-c-a-n. We're much better people than that. Americans are good people and it makes me wonder if you are perhaps just a Russian troll trying to cause discourse.
When American citizens break the law and go to prison, in your world the kids go with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Even better:

US lost track of 1,500 immigrant children, but says it's not 'legally responsible'

Several schools worth of children gone, and it isn't their problem.
The story said that the majority of the kids had been given back to their parents or to a close relative. Seems like the question that should be asked is what have the parents or close relatives done with the kids.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:54 PM

Those claiming that this is entirely legal and that parents bringing their children here are breaking the law overlook the fact that the vast majority of such parents are seeking asylum - they are refugees.

And that is entirely legal, no matter how many other countries they may have passed through en route to the United States. They are breaking no laws by seeking asylum - there is a legal procedure in place for this. Tearing their children from them is illegal as well as cruel, and I expect there will be court cases very shortly, with lawyers lined up for pro bono representation of these bereaved parents.

My English ancestors who came here for religious and economic reasons might have been termed refugees, as they had left their native England for Holland before coming to the Virginia Colony. Just as did my French Huguenot ancestors, who were persecuted in their native France, immigrated first to England, but disliked seeing their children grow up English rather than French, so left for a new life of their own making, also in Colonial Virginia. In both cases, my ancestors did not come directly from their home countries, but took more circuitous routes. Fortunately for them and for their descendants, they did not lose custody of their children just by entering America. Instead, they were welcomed and assisted by earlier arrivals, despite cultural, linguistic, and religious differences.

My, how things have changed. Maybe we ought to Make America Great Britain Again, after all.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
When American citizens break the law and go to prison, in your world the kids go with them?

The story said that the majority of the kids had been given back to their parents or to a close relative. Seems like the question that should be asked is what have the parents or close relatives done with the kids.
You're being disingenuous. Seeking legal asylum and legal status as a refugee is not illegal. The majority of those who've lost their kids intended to apply for asylum so they could enter the country legally. This is a very ugly, punitive, cruel and illegal effort to discourage immigration.

A majority of the kids are accounted for and are with parents or family members, true. But there's a substantial minority who cannot be found. Crummy, inadequate record keeping. At least two dozen children were found to have been trafficked - enslaved for labor or for sex. A few older kids ran away and are missing.

None of which would have been likely to occur, had the children been left with their parents or family members. Certainly over 1,500 children would not be missing.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
When did America get all these new foster homes ? I don't think we have enough to cover the current needs. Whether you agree or disagree with the policy, saying we're going to place these kids into foster homes is insane.
We don't have enough foster homes - many of the children are being placed into institutionalized care, group homes, or else placed in the custody of unvetted individuals who are in it for the money or for more nefarious reasons. Over a dozen children were found to have been trafficked for slave labor or for sex, and around 1.500 are missing entirely. Some ran away, but that's a heck of a lot of kids to lose. Our government is clearly incapable of caring for these children adequately and decently, and this cruel and illegal practice needs to stop.

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Just like the children of all criminals.

Drug dealers and murderers also have kids who no longer can be with them.

Breaking into USA illegally is a criminal offense, and adults are properly imprisoned for it.
Should there be criminal tiers? Like crime of survival or something?

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
"Sophie's Choice" comes to America. How ****ing charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies