Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where is your so-called compassion for Americans? Or those waiting to come here legally?

People who disagree with you are haters and you state there's such a mean streak and the world is at an all time low - yet you haven't posted anything about the ill-effects all of these illegals have had on American citizens or how offensive and wrong it is to allow illegals to stay when there are people waiting to come here legally.

You folks are a bunch of hypocrites. You don't seem to care about anyone other than Mexicans who are illegal aliens.
Why can't I have compassion for all who struggle?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Hello, I am Wilmer Valderrama. I came to seek refuge as gangs have threatened me in San Salvador. I came to seek refuge from these gangs in your country, that has the same gangs I'm escaping, and I don't speak the language, and I also think it's racist against people like me. I don't have any paperwork to prove any of my claims. The lawyer from the country that I could reside in and easily assimilate into, oh and doesn't separate families, said you must admit me as a refugee.
What in the world???

You do know Wilmer Valderrama was born in this country, yes?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:50 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
No, there is a due process that the US agreed to by treaty for refugees, which makes it THE LAW. You want the US to abide by laws, right?

Oh, hold it, apparently the US knows that it has obligations, and passed the Refugee Act in 1980. It's the LAW.

Refugee Act

Why do otherwise law abiding citizens demand the USA NOT follow it's own law? Refugees have rights, there is a process in place, and let that process flow. It will determine who is and isn't a true refugee. What are you afraid of?

Sure there is a process for refugees. Refugee defined as any person who is outside his or her country of residence or nationality, or without nationality, and is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
Furthermore: You must receive a referral to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for consideration as a refugee. For more information on the referral criteria, see the USRAP Consultations and Worldwide Processing Priorities page.

Why do these people demand they not be required to follow the law by first actually fitting the criteria of a refugee and then actually going thru the legal procedure to apply for refugee status?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You've yet to answer my simple question.

Where does it say that so-called asylum seekers heading north have to go to the US? There is no such law. Read the link I posted for you. Mexico has accepted many of them.

Show us all where it is written that these people are forbidden to request asylum in Mexico. You won't find anything because, once again, they can ---and do --- apply for asylum in Mexico and many get accepted.

This is not a difficult issue.
I never suggested that refugee claimants could not apply in Mexico.

Once again though, if those claimants ask at the border, the USA is REQUIRED by its own laws and international treaty to take them in and give them due process. It's the law.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sure there is a process for refugees. Refugee defined as any person who is outside his or her country of residence or nationality, or without nationality, and is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
Furthermore: You must receive a referral to the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) for consideration as a refugee. For more information on the referral criteria, see the USRAP Consultations and Worldwide Processing Priorities page.

Why do these people demand they not be required to follow the law by first actually fitting the criteria of a refugee and then actually going thru the legal procedure to apply for refugee status?
The legal process starts when they appear at the border, asking for asylum. That's how it works, that is the law. The process will determine if their status is legitimate or not. Allow it to work.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:30 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Had a bit more clarity on this issue this morning as there was an article on the internet about it. Trump said that parents could be separated from their kids if they tried to enter or did enter "illegally" so in essence it had nothing to do with those showing up at our border claiming asylum they are two different things. There are no laws in place protecting those who are attempting to or have entered our country illegally so let's put this issue to rest, shall we?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:33 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why can't I have compassion for all who struggle?

Because you can't have compassion for law breakers and their victims at the same time.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Had a bit more clarity on this issue this morning as there was an article on the internet about it. Trump said that parents could be separated from their kids if they tried to enter or did enter "illegally" so in essence it had nothing to do with those showing up at our border claiming asylum they are two different things. There are no laws in place protecting those who are attempting to or have entered our country illegally so let's put this issue to rest, shall we?
Can you point to where the clarification occured? I concur, there is no protection for those illegally entering the country, only for those who seek asylum.

I will never see it as humanitarian to separate children from their parents. Detain, and return, no problem, but put children in separate camps? That is just not right.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Because you can't have compassion for law breakers and their victims at the same time.
Why not?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The legal process starts when they appear at the border, asking for asylum. That's how it works, that is the law. The process will determine if their status is legitimate or not. Allow it to work.
No it isn't. The process and law is that they apply for asylum and are then referred to the US for asylum. Showing up at the border is not how the process works. Read your own links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies