Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think the bullying thing is a big part of it. Kids can't fight back against their bullies anymore, lest they end up with a compromised academic record at best, or even expelled and arrested by police.
And that needs to stop.
Let kids be kids. Let them stand up for themselves. Punish the bully, not the one defending themselves or on behalf of others.

They can fight back
It's when the schools passed 0 tolerance and punish the bullied as harsh as the bully for defending themselves. That's wrong. It creates helpless and hopeless victims.

And it also indoctrinates kids into not being self sufficient/self reliant, they will always be in search of an adult in the room to handle their problems for them.

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It will be interesting to see the student's actual affiliations. Dimitrios Pagourtzis. Greek ethnicity. Not usually right-wingers.
Um, this is a super right wing part of Texas. God and guns.

You can't seriously claim that rural, white, Trump-crazy small town Texas is "liberal", can you? And Greek Americans are quite conservative.

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
It's not just our youth, it's all age groups in our society that can have a narcissist need for attention.

This is why we have mass shootings not only in schools but also movie theaters, concerts, etc.

These narcissists see all this attention lavished on the shooters and how much 'power' these shooters seem to have, paralyzing society with fear, and they too crave that notoriety and seek to up the terror and body count.

It was never about guns.

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because it's lot harder to go on a random mass killing spree with pipe bombs, for obvious reasons.

Except no one wants to ban guns. Almost all reasonable people want common-sense regulation. Until we have normal laws like the rest of the civilized world, the massacres will continue.

50 years ago it was super-deadly to drive in cars. Did we ban cars? Of course not. We increased regulations, made cars much safer, and with greater oversight, and car deaths have plummeted. We could do the same with guns, but the NRA wants the bloodshed to continue.

See, here is why you cannot have an honest conversation...

What could be done to increase regulations to make guns more safe?

Be specific....with these common sense gun laws you'll propose....

Old 05-18-2018, 12:53 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Is Trump a liberal then? He's always going on about himself.
uhm...

where have you been for the last 50 years

yes trump is a New York liberal, he certainly isn't conservative

Old 05-18-2018, 12:53 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yet it is part of the liberal mantra...I HAVE to get my 15 minutes of fame or I am worthless
I am pretty sure workingclasshero is next going to attribute eating as a liberal behavior. Followed by sleeping.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Told you all.

Dimitrios Pagourtzis ID'd as Santa Fe High School shooting suspect - Business Insider
Quote:

A Facebook page for Pagourtzis appeared to be taken down on Friday, but screenshots posted by some media outlets showed that he went by the nickname Dimitri, and posted photos of a T-shirt that read "Born to Kill."

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How in all this discussion about guns do the pipe bombs fit in? This kid did not even need guns, he had steel pipes and some common chemicals.

The problem with kids killing people is kids killing people. Banning guns is just a distraction. It angers me because immense resources are being wasted on the issue while the problem is being completely ignored. If a kid wants to kill his peers, he can and will use guns, knives, pipe bombs, a car, chlorine gas, poison, fire, rocks, a bat, hockey skates. . . You can ban everything but pillows and you will still have psycho kids suffocating other kids with their pillows. Why are people jumping on the band wagon and contributing to the seemingly intentional distraction from the problem?

There is too much of this distraction BS going on. If I was tin foil hatty, I would think someone already knows the cause of the mental health problem and they do not want it discovered because they will lose a ton of moeny, so they hire people to come into places like CD and keep the focus off the problem. That may be too far into the tin foil hat world, but I am getting convinced there is an intentional distraction going on here, just not sure of the why. What I do not understand at all is why so many people fall for it.

Guns are not at all an issue. When I was a kid, we could get guns anywhere. My parents did not have them, but most of my friend's did. If I wanted a gun, I could just go to their house and take one (no one locked their house and you could just go in and use the bathroom, get a snack whatever (knock first). No one took guns to school and shot up other kids. We did take people's parents guns out in the woods and shot cans, or toy soldiers of anything we thought would be cool to shoot. THen we cleaned them carefulyl and put them back. Even without an internet, it was easy to learn to make all sorts of explosives and I did. I made gunpowder, gun cotton, nitroglycerin, something simlar to TNT and I was working on C4 but could not get the components. Anyone could figure this out. I did not even have any science classes. But no one took such explosives to school and blew up people. (We did blow up stumps, abandoned cars in the woods, old toys, etc, but we did it in a relatively safe way making sure now one was around to get hurt (or call the police)). The availability of guns has not changed. The availability of cars, bombs, fire poison has not changed. The only thing that has changed is kids desire to kill other kids with these things. Focus people focus. Playing political games, sheepling, ignoring the problems might make someone temporarily feel like they "did something about it" but it will do nothing. We need to get serious and demand testing to figure out what the heck is going on. There are so many things it could be food, water, pollution, TV, computers, internet, video games, too much input too fast, too large of a society, bad parenting, lack of discipline. We have to figure this out and we can. We are a brilliant race of people. The problem is a lack of focus on the problem and possibly intentional distraction.

Can people obsessing over the gun issue on either side please explain what is wrong with you? Why are you not only ignoring the actual problem, but intentionally directing attention away from it?
Written by someone without a basic understanding of physics or the practicalities involved of using those other measures as an instrument of death

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It will be interesting to see the student's actual affiliations. Dimitrios Pagourtzis. Greek ethnicity. Not usually right-wingers.
Don't be trying to give this guy off to be something other than just a white guy, I see what you are trying to do.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:55 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the fascist liberals do what to ban guns (thereby eliminating the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendments)...but the liberals will do nothing about the mental health issues.. the left would rather defend the animal ms13
Tell me, what exactly do conservatives want to do about mental health??? Because it sure isn't increasing access to healthcare for all.

Conservative gun lovers just want to BLAME mental health so they don't have to admit that easy access to guns is at least part of the problem.

Liberals would LOVE to offer access to mental healthcare to everyone.

Every western country in the world other than the US has both universal access to healthcare and more limited access to guns (not bans by the way). And none of the mass school shootings. Mental illness, bullying...exists EVERYWHERE.

If the gun lovers could just admit that guns are part of the problem, we'd get somewhere. But you can't. You just hug them tighter, give them a little kiss, and add to your collection. You cry mental health and then vote against access to healthcare. Hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies