Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,138,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
If Publix wants to cave to this little extortionist, I can certainly add them to this list of anti-gunners:
Don't forget Donald Trump and the GOP-controlled Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,343,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Natural law exists, period. It's been that way for millenia.

There is no such thing as a "social contract;" that is a made-up concoction like Santa and the Easter Bunny. I, nor anyone else, was ever given a piece of paper to read over and sign if I consented.

The majority has no authority over the individual. My property rights are more important than your feelings.

I prefer Bastiat.

Natural law is certainly real, as it is a fungible thing we experience every day.
Gravity is a natural law, not property rights. Your claims are as BS as the ones you rail against.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:44 PM

11,185 posts, read 10,773,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Depends. What are you willing to give up before you realize part of the problem is guns?
Only in leftist's minds. Firearms are more difficult to legally obtain now than at any time in history. If access to firearms was the driving force behind school shootings, the 70s and 80s would have been filled with massacres.

Instead, the 70s and 80s saw an average of 2 school shootings per year. From 1996 when the liberals decided that a sign was enough protection for our students and imposed ridiculous regulations on firearms purchases to 2012, we saw an average of 5 school shootings per year. I haven't run the numbers since 2012, but I doubt they've gone down.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,138,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Gravity is a natural law, not property rights. Your claims are as BS as the ones you rail against.
Gravity is natural law because it exists. Property rights are natural law because they exist.

I guess Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Quesnay, Grotius, Aquinas, Locke, and Bastiat were all full of BS then.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM

41,003 posts, read 49,453,126 times
Someday little David will get his azz kicked in some dark alley and he'll wish someone with a gun was there to protect him.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,108,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Someday little David will get his azz kicked in some dark alley and he'll wish someone with a gun was there to protect him.
Classy.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,334,352 times
I did not see that there was any extortion or demands made.

I do see that the OP is using the Trumpian method of attempting to smear and demean people who are activists for causes they do no agree with politically.

Nice try, but transparently false.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:32 PM

1,316 posts, read 754,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52002644
I'm not moved by your arguments much.

I'll learn to live with it.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 754,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Gravity is natural law because it exists. Property rights are natural law because they exist.

I guess Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Quesnay, Grotius, Aquinas, Locke, and Bastiat were all full of BS then.

Property rights are an arbitrary construct. Not all cultures adhere to the same ideas of ownership and property. And, yes, all those you named were full of BS. Good things, too. But there's a LOT of BS out there. So much BS.

You cannot ascribe an ideology where no social contract exists when we are living in a system guided by social contract. We have a system where we make compromises all the time for the greater good. That's what we do. And if you don't like it, that's too bad, because THAT is not going to change.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,453,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Quote:
nat·u·ral law

noun

1. a body of unchanging moral principles regarded as a basis for all human conduct.

2. an observable law relating to natural phenomena.
"the natural laws of perspective"
Property rights are covered by both 1 and 2.

If you'd like to test #2 go out and find a bear and try to take the fish between his paws. Report back to us if he believes in property rights.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies