Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 07:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
First off, her name is Emma Gonzalez. Don’t ruin a good point by sounding slightly racist. Look up her name, or even just say that other chick.

Otherwise, I agree with you. These kids were probably liberal and turned to liberal activism after experiencing a real trauma. I admire them for trying to do something, but now they’re just astroturf. They’re fighting for the impossible while ignoring the possible.

Now they’re just annoying by saying basically that they will go after any republican candidate or company that donates to Republicans. Well, Republicans vote and shop and have every right to donate to candidates of their choice. If these companies bow down to these activists, then they will make enemies of at least half their customer base. If they’re forced to take sides, they will alienate half the country. It’s a lose-lose situation for them. We can’t let these little totalitarians win.
I'm just offended he assumed both they nationality AND they gender.

Off with his head!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Social construct is not natural law. Doesn't change just because it happens to be a construct that you like.
What's a social construct?

Here are some: government, the "social contract", legitimate authority.

What's not a social construct?

Here are some:

you own your mind, body, and fruits of your labor (otherwise you believe slavery is the natural condition of select humans)

Consent can only be given when two or more parties, free from duress and with the cognitive ability to do so, agree to terms.

If I don't have the right to steal, bully, or kill you...as an individual...then two or more people don't have the right to steal, bully, or kill you if they vote on it. If this was a truism that would be like saying a human can't fly (which is correct) but if two of them vote on it and decide they can fly that means they can.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
You wrote a lot replying to nothing. Huh.

How else would someone rack up so many posts than just mindlessly typing all day?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:38 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
So, you cannot reply.......figures.....congrats, you must be proud.....

Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I'm just offended he assumed both they nationality AND they gender.

Off with his head!
I’m not offended, just very annoyed. If conservatives want to convince non-conservatives and independents that they’re not racist, then don’t ruin a good point by sounding like it. It really irritates me.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:45 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yes, organize a protest and then call for the company you are protesting to donate money in order to stop further protests. Nothing like extortion at all, eh?

Semantics be damned, the little twit is practicing extortion just like the mob used to do.

And apparently, Publix caved to the pressure.
Man, I wish we had Publix here just so I could boycott them for this. I’m so sick of people caving to this sh**.

I hope the politician wins the election, just to rub their noses in it.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Quote:
That is not at all what I've said. You expect me to police the entire Internet to find all the connected subjects? Please. Don't be disingenuous in your arguments.

That's exactly what you said.... And now you bring in the entire internet....where did I say that? Now who is being disingenuous?

Quote:
Oh, You've said quite a bit about it, loud and clear.

So, you cannot even provide a post where I've stated this? WOW...never would have thought it...

Quote:
You can choose to ignore what you like. Makes me no nevermind.

You've provided nothing....makes me no never mind...

Quote:
You had no point there, at least none I could discern. What does a description of a childhood picture add to the discussion? None. It was there to prove some sort of point, but it has no significance.

Good for you, but why should you push your feelings/desires on me?

Quote:
Ooh, now how could you take THAT point and apply it equally to yourself? You want to impose your meaning system on me, but balk at my desire to do the same.
Quote:

You're the one who said you only reply to what interests you....

Quote:
Balderdash. Nothing of the sort has been proven. I care deeply about this issue. This discussion? It's recreational. It hones the skills. You help me find ways to address arguments before they happen. No need to feel sorry for me. I am confident, I am focused, I am passionate. This is important to me, and I admire David Hogg for his confidence, focus, and passion.

Again, you are the one who said you only respond to what you feel needs to be responded too...

Quote:
If it makes you feel better to insult my intelligence, be my guest. I am not intimidated by that. I am always disappointed by lack of respect in dialogue.

Have you read what you have written? Obviously not...

Quote:
I don't care? What am I doing here? I care. Deeply. I care for my family, and they care for me. We are good, thanks.

Once again, you have proven my point, you don't care, except when it deals with your family....you're welcome....

Quote:

Yes, it appears you did....you provided not a single thing to back up anything you stated....except you are good with anything as long as you DEEPLY care for your family and they care for you...the rest...screw them...

Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Publix suspends political contributions as David Hogg 'die-ins' begin
Publix has suspended making political contributions in the wake of mounting pressure over its support of Adam Putnam, a Republican candidate for governor who strongly backs the National Rifle Association.

“We would never knowingly disappoint our customers or the communities we serve,’’ said company spokesman Dwaine Stevens in a statement Friday. “As a result, we decided earlier this week to suspend corporate-funded political contributions as we reevaluate our giving processes.’’
Publix suspends political contributions as David Hogg 'die-ins' begin - Orlando Sentinel

Old 05-25-2018, 09:32 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Property rights are an arbitrary construct. Not all cultures adhere to the same ideas of ownership and property. And, yes, all those you named were full of BS. Good things, too. But there's a LOT of BS out there. So much BS.

You cannot ascribe an ideology where no social contract exists when we are living in a system guided by social contract. We have a system where we make compromises all the time for the greater good. That's what we do. And if you don't like it, that's too bad, because THAT is not going to change.
1st amendment (free speech) is also about property rights

your intellectual property of freedom to speak your mind is a right

your intellectual property to build, create and hone skills is a property, its yours and your alone

the anti-gun nutters wanting to revoke the 2nd amendment have no freaking clue, but if you revoke the 2nd amendment, you just lost the 1st , 4th, and 5th amendments also

Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Man, I wish we had Publix here just so I could boycott them for this. I’m so sick of people caving to this sh**.

I hope the politician wins the election, just to rub their noses in it.
So it's ok for you to protest a company via your actions, but not ok for someone who disagrees with you? Got it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies