Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So when you go to the hospital and pay those outrageous rates you think you are not subsidizing someone else? Wake up to the real world.
He can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:43 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The Trump administration is going to court to try to remove the requirement for insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions. But they want to delay the action until after the midterms.

Trump went from "everyone is going to have health coverage and the government is going to pay for it" to trying to take health coverage away from as many as possible. I cannot imagine how he can look people in the eye while he tries to take health coverage away from someone who has been horribly sick.

Trump’s Justice Department is calling on the courts to throw out protections for people with pre-existing conditions.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-texas-606930

Combine this with the Medicare budget shortfall and good luck America.
Didn't you actually READ the article???

The DOJ is not "going to court to remove" anything -- they are not going to defend a lawsuit brought by 15 States. Big Difference. The DOJ even says why they are not going to defend the Individual Mandate (which is what the court case is about) - the Obama Administration argued before the US Supreme Court that the Individual Mandate is a TAX, even though they told the public that it was not a TAX.

The US Supreme Court agreed that the Individual Mandate was a TAX and that Congress has the authority to legislate a TAX. Fast forward to 2017 - Congress passed a new Law REMOVING that Tax.

The Republicans attempted to pass Legislation that would preserve the Pre-Existing Conditions coverage and the Democrats rejected that. Perhaps they will reconsider and be more willing to actually work for solutions in the future.

The DOJ doesn't go to court to defend States from Legal Congressional law - the DOJ defends US Law. The DOJ says there is no reasonable argument in Defense of this Court case because Congress removed the Mandate TAX - The Individual Mandate no longer exists - there is no defense for the Mandate

Responding to a lawsuit from conservative states seeking to invalidate the Affordable Care Act, the Justice Department told a judge in Texas on Thursday that Congress’ decision to repeal the penalty for failing to buy health insurance renders unconstitutional other Obamacare language banning insurers from charging people more or denying them coverage based on a pre-existing condition.

The Texas-led lawsuit filed in February claims that the recent elimination of Obamacare’s individual mandate penalty means that the whole health care law should now be ruled invalid. The mandate penalty was wiped out effective in 2019 as part of the GOP tax law passed late last year, H.R. 1 (115).

As far as the snarky "wait until after the Mid-Terms" .... it's a case of "wait until the law takes effect in January 2019".

The administration also said the court shouldn’t grant the states’ request to immediately halt the law while the court challenge is pending because the individual mandate penalty will remain in effect until January.

Here's a fact for you - the Individual Mandate Tax was removed a year ago. It was clear at that time that removing this TAX was going to "change" the ACA and Legislation was needed to fix that. The Democrats refused to participate in Legislation and voted down all fixes.

Now these Leftist States will reap what their CongressCritters have sown.
The era of Obama Bailouts by executive memos is over. Time to do things legally with Legislation.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:48 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,078,580 times
So, the left is pissed about the change not happening until after the mid-terms....

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Now that's funny right there...such short and selective memories the left has.....

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Old 06-08-2018, 07:49 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
He can afford it.
But he is still paying for others because hospital rates take into account their bad debts, medicaid patients etc

Old 06-08-2018, 07:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It's very easy to be self-righteous when you don't ever have to worry about going bankrupt because you get sick or injured. Which millions of us did before the ACA. You know, those of us who weren't handed a nice big pile of cash by our relatives.
I will be as self righteous as I damn please. I want what I had. Now!! And trump can get it done. Even without a trust fund I would say and do the same thing.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:54 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I will be as self righteous as I damn please. I want what I had. Now!! And trump can get it done. Even without a trust fund I would say and do the same thing.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So when you go to the hospital and pay those outrageous rates you think you are not subsidizing someone else? Wake up to the real world.
I don’t go to the hospital. I go to a Dr in private practice in his own office and pay cash. I subsidize no one.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
I don’t go to the hospital. I go to a Dr in private practice in his own office and pay cash. I subsidize no one.
So your Dr. can perform open heart surgery in his office? AMA may want to know more about your Dr. then.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
You'll never know what it's like to not be able to afford to see a doctor or have a needed surgery or buy your medications, because you have a nice soft cushion that was left to you to sit on while making this proclamation.

We get it. Lucky you. Screw everyone else.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:09 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yep, my deductible is $4,000 and my out of pocket is another $4,000. But I now have insurance to pay the rest of my bill, which I absolutely didn't have before the ACA.

I can absolutely pay down that $8,000 over time. What I can't pay down is a bill in the six figures to millions or more, which one major illness or injury could easily run into.

Do I wish the deductibles and out of pocket were lower? Sure, who doesn't? But do I wish to return to the days when I was unable to purchase health insurance at all? No one who lived without it will say yes to that.

Why is this so difficult for so many to understand?
They understand.

They are spreading lies in support of a political position.

Short of winning the lottery, there is no way the average person can pay down a million dollar medical bill.

At 4.5% interest, the monthly payment on a million dollars over 30 years is more than $5,000/month.

God forbid you need another round of chemo.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-08-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies