Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 08:14 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times

Advertisements

Of course this is the swamp colluding with the insurance industry. If you take away the mandate, so goes the logic, then people will wait until they are sick to get coverage. So we go back to what we had - no mandate, no precondition coverage and millions upon millions unable to get or afford insurance with the burden dumped on providers and those who have employer insurance. Your wallets are going to be getting lighter soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:18 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So your Dr. can perform open heart surgery in his office? AMA may want to know more about your Dr. then.
Folk are just spouting nonsense now.

A long-time friend pays a $5,000+/year retainer to be included in the practice of a doctor she pays cash for each visit.

They give her the paperwork, she files her own insurance. Actually, she contracts with a company (who she also pays) to do this.

In return, he limits his practice to a certain number of people and offers high quality medical care.

The only other type of medical practices I've ever heard of that accept cash for visits are clinics for the uninsured that charge a sliding scale fee.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Quote:
And SOMEHOW Trump supporters will back this.
You know they will...sadly.

I thought healthcare was one of the biggest issues for Trump voters? Trump promised them "on day one" that he would repeal and replace Obamacare. He tried multiple times and failed.

Now, Trump wants to free big insurance companies of having to cover pre-existing conditions. Most of Trump's base are baby-boomers, people ranging from their early 50s to mid-70s. They will be heavily impacted if Trump does away with pre-existing conditions.

And yet will a single Trump supporter on City-Data criticize it? Probably not.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
The mandate that insurers must cover those with preexisting conditions and cannot charge them proper rates based on actuarial risk analysis totally negates the concept of insurance as a risk mitigation tool. That isn't a Trump thing, or an Obama thing, or a mean/evil thing...it's a mathematical/actuarial fact thing.

If an insurance company must cover me no matter what, and they cannot charge me the proper rates based on my current health, why why why would I buy insurance until I was already sick? It makes no sense to pay premiums. You wait until you get sick, you then buy insurance, hope you get cured, then dump insurance and go back to waiting for next illness, lather, rinse, repeat.

Thing is, insurance is based on pooling premiums paid by the insured in order to have funds to pay out for claims. If nobody signs up to pay premiums (and they shouldn't, since the law forces insurers to cover them AFTER they are sick anyway), there is no pool from which to pay claims. Let time pass and the insurer is bankrupt.

When they talked bout this mandate that came with ObamaCare, people with any mathematical/actuarial sense argued vehemently against it on the exact same grounds I am arguing it now. Adverse selection was predicted, and it's exactly what happened. Young people simply stopped buying insurance because why should they, and the tax penalty was always much less than what a year of premiums would cost. So the standard model of the risk mitigation pool got wrecked. The number of people paying in decreased while the number of people taking money out increased.

Unlike government, private insurance companies cannot print their own currency and simply force new revenue at gunpoint. They have to profit or the perish. This may very well have been the plan along, to destroy the private insurance industry so that only government run healthcare could survive, who knows. But it is a certainty of inexorable mathematics that under the (a) preexisting and (b) community pricing model, private insurance cannot survive as a business.

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
And this is why we need medicare for all.

41,974 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You want to take care of your body, pay for it. Don’t expect other people to carry you.
Dude, that's what insurance is all about - contributing to a pool.Person A in the pool with a claim is carried by the rest of the pool. Person B is carried by Person A and the rest of the pool. And so on.

Do you really not understand the concept of insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct. Same with every other risk factor and every other type of insurance. It's called Actuarial Science. So, where's the problem?
The problem is that being denied coverage for a pre-existing condition and paying more for insurance coverage because you have a risk factor/pre-existing condition are two completely different things.

You're smart enough to know the difference. Don't be coy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Even if people had pre existing coverage, they couldnt afford to see a dr. Couldnt afford the drugs to treat the conditions. The coverage was a lie from the beginning. People got nothing in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not really. The $50 or $100,000 simply never gets paid.
Sure it does - the hospital jacks up its rates to cover people who don't pay their bills. The federal government provides a little bit of help to hospitals who treat uninsured patients. And ultimately, the hospital closes, reducing options for health care in the region, increasing demand on remaining hospitals, and causing those remaining hospitals to jack up their rates to cover the increased demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Either way it is hideously expensive not to mention how you are subsidizing someone else.
All insurance, by definition, is subsidizing someone else.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:24 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
You know they will...sadly.

I thought healthcare was one of the biggest issues for Trump voters? Trump promised them "on day one" that he would repeal and replace Obamacare. He tried multiple times and failed.

Now, Trump wants to free big insurance companies of having to cover pre-existing conditions. Most of Trump's base are baby-boomers, people ranging from their early 50s to mid-70s. They will be heavily impacted if Trump does away with pre-existing conditions.

And yet will a single Trump supporter on City-Data criticize it? Probably not.
You can't fix stupid.

They will be dying of a preventable/treatable illness because they can't afford the medical care and still somehow believe that Donald Trump has their best interests at heart.

Nope, there's no arguing with stupid people.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The mandate that insurers must cover those with preexisting conditions and cannot charge them proper rates based on actuarial risk analysis totally negates the concept of insurance as a risk mitigation tool. That isn't a Trump thing, or an Obama thing, or a mean/evil thing...it's a mathematical/actuarial fact thing.

If an insurance company must cover me no matter what, and they cannot charge me the proper rates based on my current health, why why why would I buy insurance until I was already sick? It makes no sense to pay premiums. You wait until you get sick, you then buy insurance, hope you get cured, then dump insurance and go back to waiting for next illness, lather, rinse, repeat.

Thing is, insurance is based on pooling premiums paid by the insured in order to have funds to pay out for claims. If nobody signs up to pay premiums (and they shouldn't, since the law forces insurers to cover them AFTER they are sick anyway), there is no pool from which to pay claims. Let time pass and the insurer is bankrupt.

When they talked bout this mandate that came with ObamaCare, people with any mathematical/actuarial sense argued vehemently against it on the exact same grounds I am arguing it now. Adverse selection was predicted, and it's exactly what happened. Young people simply stopped buying insurance because why should they, and the tax penalty was always much less than what a year of premiums would cost. So the standard model of the risk mitigation pool got wrecked. The number of people paying in decreased while the number of people taking money out increased.

Unlike government, private insurance companies cannot print their own currency and simply force new revenue at gunpoint. They have to profit or the perish. This may very well have been the plan along, to destroy the private insurance industry so that only government run healthcare could survive, who knows. But it is a certainty of inexorable mathematics that under the (a) preexisting and (b) community pricing model, private insurance cannot survive as a business.
Hence the individual mandate.

But it's good you're worried about insurance company profits tho.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Of course this is the swamp colluding with the insurance industry. If you take away the mandate, so goes the logic, then people will wait until they are sick to get coverage. So we go back to what we had - no mandate, no precondition coverage and millions upon millions unable to get or afford insurance with the burden dumped on providers and those who have employer insurance. Your wallets are going to be getting lighter soon.
Bingo.

Without the mandate, the insurance companies will be hit with customers waiting until they need high cost care before signing up.

If they have to accept those with pre-existing conditions, then in order to stay financially solvent, they have to charge everyone sky high premiums.

Which, of course, means that even more will wait until they desperately need coverage.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
So your Dr. can perform open heart surgery in his office? AMA may want to know more about your Dr. then.
Nothing wrong with my heart or anything else. Why do you ASSume everybody has to go to the hospital. Plus I get a discount for paying cash because he doesn’t have to hire anyone to process insurance claims. He does not take Medicare patients. He takes only cash and anyone on Medicare can file their own paperwork. He owns his own practice and does not even have a RN. Does his own Bp and weight checks and so on. I like this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies