Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 10:23 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Once the individual mandate was gone, pre-existing conditions regulations had to go.

It was only a matter of time.

I see where they are trying to push it off until after the mid-term elections. That's probably a good political move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:23 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Math never worked - add to that the Democrats who passed this law without a single Republican vote forgot to FUND the Insurance Bailouts for when the Math failed. TeamObama just gave them the money without Congressional Approval for the funding ..... Trump kept them afloat for this year, but that won't continue. Democrats will scream a lot about "save health care" - which means "save insurance companies" - BUT they will not be willing to actually sit down and Legislate any Fixes.

They just want bailout for Big Hospitals and Big Insurance.
I believe they obtained their money by robbing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. President Trump has said no more robbery to fund BO's signature accomplishment. Nothing stops Democrats from working with Republicans and drawing up a budget and funding the ACA. Of course, they most likely will have some explaining to do as to why this boondoggle isn't self-funding the way we were promised.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I don't have a reckless disregard for my own life. I simply understand the concept of opportunity cost and scarcity.

What I said was I wouldn't allow an illness to bankrupt me. I never said I wouldn't treat an illness nor would I ignore healthcare entirely. I have really good insurance, a sizable amount saved in my HSA account, and a pretty serious amount of saved spending power. If I ever get sick such that my preparations can affordably and reasonably deal with that illness, then let's get to curing me. If however, I am faced with one of the horror stories of "this medicine costs $12k per month" and/or "this treatment costs $20-30k per month" that seem to be the norm according to all the hypothetical shrieking, then I am not doing that because I find it to be a waste of resources for the worst ROI. My wife, my nieces/nephews, etc can all make better use of that money than keeping me around for a few extra months.

That isn't a disregard for life.
If that works for you then more power to you. But please understand that most people don't share your view. There are a lot of people in this country who do not have the resources you have. A vast majority of those people do not wish to simply ride the morphine train into oblivion.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:27 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
How other people feel should not enslave me to their feelings, nor they to mine.
But you can't deny people healthcare based on your ideology.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What is amazing to me is, Republicans will be cheering and patting themselves on the bag for taking coverage away from older and sicker people. They will applaud that older and sicker people lose their health coverage.
Many of them seem unable to grasp the fact it is their neighbors, their uncle, sister and so on who will find themselves without coverage.

And when family without coverage gets sick who picks up the tab? Do you let your sister die because her husband let coverage drop? Do you reach out and help your 81 year old mom?
Or you are 27, playing some ball with buddies and break your leg. Now you are 27 and spending half your savings to get screws in your leg....

close to 100% of Trumpers who run into these problems have a moment of clarity and realize they have been screwed over. But only some of them figure out it is their own party doing it to them.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:35 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I thought that Hillary Clinton referring to Trump supporters as "irredeemable Deplorables" was wrong and a mistake. I think the same when you call Democrats the same thing.

I'm sure you remember that we went through MONTHS of attempting to Fix the known problems in the ACA and the Democrats refused to offer any solutions and refused to participate in any Legislation. They also VOTED in mass to defeat the Fixes to the ACA. You call that "deplorable" and perhaps it is - I call it stupidity and Political Agenda.

That is all a matter of record.
Except of course it's not.

Hillary Clinton said SOME Trump supporters are deplorable. And the fact is that some are. She never said all Trump supporters were deplorable although personally, I've often thought she didn't go far enough.

And Democrats were willing to try to fix problems in the ACA but all that was being offered was a repeal bill with promises (lies) about something better to come. So no, they weren't going to participate in that.

Your "matter of record" is a pack of lies.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:36 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
If that works for you then more power to you. But please understand that most people don't share your view. There are a lot of people in this country who do not have the resources you have. A vast majority of those people do not wish to simply ride the morphine train into oblivion.
Again, their wishes should not enslave me.

If people do not like facing the cards they are dealt, that should not force me to bankroll them. I grew up in a dirt poor, dysfunctional, alcoholic/addict home. I didn't just stumble into my resources, nor did anyone simply give them to me. I earned exactly everything I have, including my insurance, HSA and savings. Part of earning that was making choices. I could do bare minimum for insurance and HSA contribution, but I do the max allowed by law. Those contributions are money I could use for all sorts of other stuff that is more fun and rewarding, but that's how scarcity works. Bag of Money has X dollars in it, and I have to make choices.

My way of thinking does not obligate or harm anyone else, so why should anyone else's way of thinking harm or obligate me? Why must I be enslaved because you are either unwilling or incapable of properly making choices according to your own levels of scarcity?

You insult me about what you call my casual disregard for life, but your words clearly advocate your casual disregard for individual freedom. If other people wish to spend all the money in the world on healthcare, so goes your thinking, then I along with everyone else am duty bound to supplement their desires. It is part of the social contract I never signed but was made party to when I was born, so goes the thinking. I was born into slavery, bound to serve the wishes and desires of people who eschew the concept of economic scarcity. If anything is casual disregard for life, it is the thinking that everyone must serve their neighbor's whims and desires because f_u_ck them, they were born here and owe you.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:36 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Twenty minutes? Try adding an hour or more, depending on road and weather conditions.

Instead of 257, try 40,000 residents as that's how many rely on Angel Medical Center when Mission shuttered labor and delivery service there in July 2017.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06f93538d09f9

You may think it is no big deal, but a lot of people do.
The article said now rural resident in the surrounding county(s) of Ashville will have to drive.....20miles to the hospital. That's about the distance it is where I live.

"At that point, Mission will provide birthing services only at its locations in Asheville and Marion. That means women in rural counties will have to drive at least 20 miles to give birth and — if they want to be able to see the same providers in the delivery room they saw throughout their pregnancies — to get prenatal care. "

Of the 15 hospitals with a maternity ward in the 19 county Asheville area, 4 are closing. So that's 11 maternity facilities within a 19 county area with a maximum of ~ 20-50 mile drive.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Hillary Clinton said SOME Trump supporters are deplorable. And the fact is that some are. She never said all Trump supporters were deplorable although personally, I've often thought she didn't go far enough.

And Democrats were willing to try to fix problems in the ACA but all that was being offered was a repeal bill with promises (lies) about something better to come. So no, they weren't going to participate in that.

Regardless of how may are deplorable, they are all gullible.

They either believe the lies they post on this forum, or they know they are lies and post them anyway.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

The problem is the lies forwarded to pass Obamacare in the first place. Those lies wiped out the huge advantage the (D)'s held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies