Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Don't have any children, and my wife thinks exactly like I do. She was a hospice nurse for 6 years, so she isn't about wrecking an entire lifetime worth of financial success in order to prolong suffering. She may be more hardcore about it than I am, matter of fact.
You DO understand that very few people feel the same way you do, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree. Not much need for a hospital in buttfark, pop. 257 when there is a hospital in bigtown, pop. 50,000 20 minutes away. This in no way is a result of not expanding Medicaid. It has always been such. Some of the old, small and outdated hospitals that did exist in buttfark, pop 257 have indeed closed or merged with better facilities with neighboring hospitals in arsecrak, pop. 2500 and bucksnort, pop. 30K.
Twenty minutes? Try adding an hour or more, depending on road and weather conditions.

Instead of 257, try 40,000 residents as that's how many rely on Angel Medical Center when Mission shuttered labor and delivery service there in July 2017.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06f93538d09f9

You may think it is no big deal, but a lot of people do.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So sad that so many babies die and are malnourished. Wonder why the anti-abortion group doesn't take up that cause. They could actually make a difference here with actual babies.
There is a real disconnect between the anti-abortion people and the conservatives in general. (Full disclosure: I am completely opposed to abortion myself.) Conservative agenda tend not to care much about people's well-being, and the anti-abortion stance is pretty much a white-wash over an otherwise generally non-caring set of policies.

Life in the crib, and life in the gurney, is every bit as precious as life in the womb, and vice versa. Being pro-life means caring for everyone from conception, through the nursery to the hospice. Too many politicians all across the political spectrum fail us at one point or another. Caring for and protecting our most helpless and vulnerable in this world does not begin nor end on the delivery table.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump is targeting people who are older and sicker. That is the target. Trump is saying, we want to take away health coverage from people who are older and sicker.

Then he puts out a tax plan where 83% of the savings go to the top 1%, increases the deficit by $1.5 trillion and Medicare goes broke 3 years sooner.

The combination of Medicare running out of money and older and sicker people being unable to get health coverage should make a great Republican platform for them to run on.

Yeah but Trump is "shaking things up".... and that is more important than education, healthcare, housing....

Old 06-08-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
We are presently hearing about unaffordable premium rates, unaffordable deductibles and higher co-pays. Stuff that the ACA was supposed to prevent.
Did you just wake up from a coma?

Republicans have been working to undermine ACA from the get go. Trump has been going after ever since he took the oath of office.

Insurance company executives were clear they had to to raise rates, deductibles, and co-pays because of the uncertainty brought about by Trump and the Republicans. As they were not confident they would be reimbursed for subsidies, they are raising the rates to make sure they don't get stuck holding the bag.

The individual mandate is gone, which means that fewer well people are participating in the insurance pool.

Pre-existing conditions regulation were bound to be dropped once that happened. Otherwise, insurance companies would have to raise their rates sky high to cover all those people who only sign up once they face significant medical expenses.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:19 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Twenty minutes? Try adding an hour or more, depending on road and weather conditions.

Instead of 257, try 40,000 residents as that's how many rely on Angel Medical Center when Mission shuttered labor and delivery service there in July 2017.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06f93538d09f9

You may think it is no big deal, but a lot of people do.
As I said I speak for my state which is red and rural. I live in a community that dosent even have a population because it is unincorporated. The closest incorporated town has a pop of ~2500. Im 15-20 minutes in either direction to the nearest hospital. Now for certain things one would go to Nashville or Knoxville which is an hour to hour 1/2 drive.

The only ones I'm hearing that think it is a big deal are those who don't live in these areas and are saying good for those who voted for Trump they are going to suffer real bad.

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
How much you want to bet he wouldn't? Then again you never can tell about someone with such a reckless disregard for their own life. Maybe his wife and kids are as meaningless to him as his own life. Maybe he thinks of them more like associates rather than loved ones, who knows. I just wonder if people like Volo automatically assume everyone else feels the same way he does so it MUST be the defacto way of thinking.
I don't have a reckless disregard for my own life. I simply understand the concept of opportunity cost and scarcity.

What I said was I wouldn't allow an illness to bankrupt me. I never said I wouldn't treat an illness nor would I ignore healthcare entirely. I have really good insurance, a sizable amount saved in my HSA account, and a pretty serious amount of saved spending power. If I ever get sick such that my preparations can affordably and reasonably deal with that illness, then let's get to curing me. If however, I am faced with one of the horror stories of "this medicine costs $12k per month" and/or "this treatment costs $20-30k per month" that seem to be the norm according to all the hypothetical shrieking, then I am not doing that because I find it to be a waste of resources for the worst ROI. My wife, my nieces/nephews, etc can all make better use of that money than keeping me around for a few extra months.

That isn't a disregard for life.

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remingtonrand View Post
I support Trump, but the Republicans on health care are on the wrong side of history. Yes to the boarder wall, yes to deport illegals, yes to limiting Muslims, but on health care they are just wrong.
So does that mean you'd vote against him in 2020?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump is targeting people who are older and sicker. That is the target. Trump is saying, we want to take away health coverage from people who are older and sicker.

Then he puts out a tax plan where 83% of the savings go to the top 1%, increases the deficit by $1.5 trillion and Medicare goes broke 3 years sooner.

The combination of Medicare running out of money and older and sicker people being unable to get health coverage should make a great Republican platform for them to run on.
They'll just lie about it. Blame it on Obama and the Democrats.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
You DO understand that very few people feel the same way you do, right?
How other people feel should not enslave me to their feelings, nor they to mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies