Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How does she know that the two men who ignored her were not men transitioning to female or that they were minority men trapped in white men’s bodies?
They might have just have self-identified as left-wing snowflakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 09:32 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,861 times
Here is a quote from her. What I would like to know is why their race or class matters in this situation? Because of this comment by her (who is likely upper class) she deserves ire from readers.

'I remain more angry with those white middle class men who left me to it. As fathers, husbands and sons they should be ashamed of themselves.'

I am a 5'4" woman who would have helped her rather than go to the next car. But I would have helped any "person" who was being attacked by a lunatic.

There's more info here

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...-a3856306.html

Last edited by redwood66; 06-12-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Stupid argument. If someone saw some big man needing help should people not help him?

I dismiss your spin on ignoring people in need of help.
I do too.

And will, add, that despite being equal, men are biologically larger and stronger (in general). The bigger and stronger should help the smaller and weaker.

Just as I, as a woman, would help someone elderly or a child being attacked. Heck, I would probably try to help a guy too.

I find many a sad attitude here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 AM

14 posts, read 5,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Stupid argument. If someone saw some big man needing help should people not help him?

I dismiss your spin on ignoring people in need of help.
Not at all. I said in my OP:
"In my mind, any able bodied person of ANY gender witnessing an attack on someone of ANY gender should have lent a hand if they were able."

Old 06-12-2018, 10:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I don't disagree, but I've sparred with men, the difference in strength levels is HUGE. Though if everyone banded together to assist, they could have helped and minimized the danger somewhat.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-12-2018, 10:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr345 View Post
where have I ever said that?! I said it was ridiculous to single out the men on the train for not helping her as opposed to the women. If it were two middle aged white WOMEN who walked by and did nothing, this would be a non-story.
It would seem to me in your argument for men and women to be equal and that she singled two particular men on the train and not any women who I assume would be smaller in stature and strength you are implying she should also have pointed at all the women for not taking on the 6 foot guy.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Not at all. I said in my OP:
"In my mind, any able bodied person of ANY gender witnessing an attack on someone of ANY gender should have lent a hand if they were able."
So you agree with her but still felt a need........for something or another.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Actually the woman in the article made this an argument about equality and gender when she singled out men specifically for being cowards for not coming to her aid. I pointed out the hypocrisy in it.
...and equal rights is more than just equal opportunities it's equal responsibilities as well.
Actually she singled the two men who left the train car when the crazy guy started yelling and threatening her. Honestly I don't see where she is bashing all men or men in general.

I think that anyone being threatened by someone much larger and stronger and not assisted by two individuals that were larger and stronger than her but assisted by one individual less capable of helping would be put off by the actions of those who left.
Given the genders of those involved and the fact society still recognizes stereotypical gender roles its even more understandable.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 AM

14 posts, read 5,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It would seem to me in your argument for men and women to be equal and that she singled two particular men on the train and not any women who I assume would be smaller in stature and strength you are implying she should also have pointed at all the women for not taking on the 6 foot guy.

All we know about these men is that they are middle aged and white. Nothing about whether they are in shape at all or even physically fit. Yet just by virtue of their gender, you assume that these two random men would be better candidates than any woman onboard because it's assumed the women would be smaller in stature and weaker in strength.

By that logic, the vast overwhelming majority of any job which requires strength or toughness should be given to a man.

Now, I am not advocating for that at all but the problem I have is that our society says that this point of view is sexist and regressive but at the same time there is still this sort of social contract where it's the man who is expected to step up in situations like this and nobody ever questions or shames a woman for not doing so.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
All we know about these men is that they are middle aged and white. Nothing about whether they are in shape at all or even physically fit. Yet just by virtue of their gender, you assume that these two random men would be better candidates than any woman onboard because it's assumed the women would be smaller in stature and weaker in strength.

By that logic, the vast overwhelming majority of any job which requires strength or toughness should be given to a man.

Now, I am not advocating for that at all but the problem I have is that our society says that this point of view is sexist and regressive but at the same time there is still this sort of social contract where it's the man who is expected to step up in situations like this and nobody ever questions or shames a woman for not doing so.
Go for it. Make your mom proud of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies