Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 05:26 PM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
What does it mean to be the "most uniquely cruel"?
I would think of most Muslim countries as "uniquely cruel"

Or what about most of Africa?

How about Mexico, talk about cruel!!!!

Central and South America?

Parts of Europe (or mos of the EU since Merkle opened borders?

Hell, by world standards, the US is a lightweight country when it comes to cruel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, yes, I read your article

Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I would think of most Muslim countries as "uniquely cruel"

Or what about most of Africa?

How about Mexico, talk about cruel!!!!

Central and South America?

Parts of Europe (or mos of the EU since Merkle opened borders?

Hell, by world standards, the US is a lightweight country when it comes to cruel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, yes, I read your article
That poster didn't share the link, and probably disagrees with it.

You are eating your own.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This article made me think, and ponder about this great country, and why it does, what it does. How did the 'Promised Land' get to where it is today? Led by a sociopathic, hateful man, who can do no wrong to a large part of the population. Do Americans on this forum agree with what he has to say, or think he's wrong?

https://eand.co/why-is-america-the-w...y-f67afc5c6b9a
Well, you are not wrong.

I would not say cruel, as that is highly debatable. After all, our modern concept of "cruel" and "horrifying" and "crimes against humanity" directly comes from European colonialism. Before it was America, it was Europe. We had founding fathers with British accents. Just think on that a while.

I would say that America is one of the most uniquely gullible nations on the planet. The only difficulty a snake oil salesman faces in America is stiff competition from colleagues.

We did get a lot right, but freedom of religion in a capitalist society fueled by endless consumerism really soured fast. It is almost tragic how the freedom of belief turned into such evil in this nation. The complete lack of empathy, a total ignorance of political history, and a general freedom to use religion as a means to control local societies is more or less the gist of the problems in the US.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:56 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,481 times
Trump is cruel.

America showed this weekend across the country for all to see that we are NOT Trumps America.
He s a flash in the pan.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Trump has the support of 45% of the population. He is not a hateful man as you claim, he is just marketed that way by the media which markets every Republican that way....just remember before Trump was a Republican, he was widely loved and thought highly by most. He is a fighter and has said some things which are indefensible but what has he done....he has uplifted many through his company and now with his policies.

The policies of government and American mindset is that you shouldn't be rewarded too heavily for sitting home on your butt...is that cruel? We take in more immigrants and provide better opportunities for immigrants than any country on the face of the planet and we also do more to provide for the safety of the planet than any other country, is that cruel?

The current marketing by the media as Trump and America the devil is just really a temper tantrum over losing the election, nothing more.
Very well said American Expat. More people need to understand this before they buy the way the media markets Trump and Republicans. The people who refuse to open their minds need to go to the utopia they think exists and see how they feel after that experience.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have been fascinated with America, and it's people all my life. At the same time I have been puzzled by many attitudes, and the seeming despising of so called failures in society. The one's who don't 'lift themselves up by their bootstraps', and the like.

With the election of Donald Trump, this underlying cruelty has manifested itself, and is on display all the time in this forum. Whether it's illegals, different racial groups, UHC, politics in general, the educated sneering at the uneducated, and a more inward looking population. A seeming cheering at Trump's wrecking ball type of politics. It is endlessly interesting to me, as an outsider looking in, but difficult to understand.

I came across an online article which for me, helped a little in understanding the American mentality. The writer of it says America was a promised land - for the despised, loathed and hated. Folks not given an ounce of respect, dignity, or even belonging in their societies of origin.

It was built on hate. First the British and French settlers hating the Native Americans, and then the next wave of settlers too. Cruelty was established as a way of life. Each new tribe that came to this promised land, brought the burden of being despised and oppressed with them. They were finally above someone else in a social hierarchy. They were not at the bottom anymore. The basis of a dog eat dog, survival of the fittest mentality was formed, which continues today. Today's servant wants to be tomorrow's master. Today's peasant, wants to be tomorrow's landlord. Today's victim aspires to be tomorrow's oppressor.

An attitude of cruelty was formed. Punching down, not lifting up. It's all that Americans expect from each other, and give to each other. A perverse idea of virtue, that by punishing people, we can better them. It is all that Americans expect from each other, and give to each other.

This article made me think, and ponder about this great country, and why it does, what it does. How did the 'Promised Land' get to where it is today? Led by a sociopathic, hateful man, who can do no wrong to a large part of the population. Do Americans on this forum agree with what he has to say, or think he's wrong?

https://eand.co/why-is-america-the-w...y-f67afc5c6b9a
I disagree. If anything English Dave, it's the Brits who started it all with their colonizing of so many under developed countries and how poorly they treated the Irish. It's YOUR country England, who is so uniquely cruel and hateful.

By the way, in your first sentence... "it's" is incorrect, the possessive is "its". I'm surprised that you made this mistake.

But seriously, mankind is cruel to all who are less advanced in development or weaker.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I disagree. If anything English Dave, it's the Brits who started it all with their colonizing of so many under developed countries and how poorly they treated the Irish. It's YOUR country England, who is so uniquely cruel and hateful.

By the way, in your first sentence... "it's" is incorrect, the possessive is "its". I'm surprised that you made this mistake.

But seriously, mankind is cruel to all who are less advanced in development or weaker.
Sorry about the spelling mistake....... I'm quite embarrassed........

Well, for a small island, our influence over world history is massive. Do you ever think how such a small country managed to end up controlling so much of the world? To spread our language? The fact that every time you open your mouth, out comes English?

You go almost anywhere in the world, and say, "anyone here speak English?" Someone will say, "I do....."

You're welcome.......

We are not uniquely cruel and hateful. The link spoke of how Americans hurt each other. We don't do that here. We believe in society, and our political system is set out to help each other, as with something like the NHS.

We are not controlled by religion. Take for instance your latest excursion into banning abortion. Whose bright idea is that then?

Why do your politicians never miss an opportunity to bring God into their speeches?

How can a snake oil salesman like Donald Trump become POTUS? How bad has it become that such a man can end up in such a position of power?

Worse of all, this con man will probably win again in 2020.

Did you see the video I posted of the man with the enormous testicles? What sort of rich society allows such a thing? A uniquely cruel one?

Not one person mentioned that video. Not one.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-02-2018 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 07:39 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
ok ok ok. Enough already.

The premise here of the OP is truly a false flag, landing in post #790 with his predictable criticism of the President.

ANY cursory summary of "cruelest" will reveal a litany of genocides committed by countries around the world. We can probably argue yet agree that our species is far from perfect. But to try to illuminate America as the unbounded leader in such a motley pack is simply a shot from an old tired British throwback who is (still) mulling over the supreme beat down they took in the "colonial war"

So, Dave, pack it in, go to quiz night raise a glass to the land of the free and the home of the brave. Now, don't all get your panties in a wad. It's the 4th of July tomorrow.

Have some respect.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
\

The premise here of the OP is truly a false flag, landing in post #790 with his predictable criticism of the President.

ANY cursory summary of "cruelest" will reveal a litany of genocides committed by countries around the world.
Right the USA never attempted genocide oh wait...

Old 07-03-2018, 07:47 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
I never said America did not commit terrible acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies