Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM

1,087 posts, read 783,054 times

Advertisements

Being “great” is often interpreted in many different ways. One thing for sure, China is working on replacing US leadership roles in global stage ... replacing world trade leadership, model of human rights, world trade currency ...

Old 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have an American friend who sends me an e-mail every morning. After a gab, she adds links on just what the Donald has been up the last 24 hours.

One day, there will be an amazing comedy film made about this Presidency.
I’m thinking more of a devine comedy.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:06 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,854 times
Quote:
Your reality, isn't his reality. How do you know your reality is real?
His (movedtothecoast) "reality" is bogus, fabricated.
Pls read post # 815.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m thinking more of a devine comedy.
This moment will have to be in the film.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZIUFf6nQIA

This buffoon is leader of the USA? But, he does mention God in his speeches........

Old 07-03-2018, 10:15 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
That is a real interesting theory. Religion is dead as a dodo here in England. The churches are empty, except for a few elderly. There has been an increase in attendance in some churches, because of Polish immigration. But the English......nope, no interest at all.

We don't believe in sky gods because it's just so silly. Even I figured it out as ridiculous when I was a kid. Like some Russian leader said, religion is the opium of the people.

I notice politicians in America know which side their bread is buttered, and make sure God gets plenty of mention in their speeches. Even the Donald does it, and no more an ungodly figure exists on the face of this earth.

This religion thing runs deep in the American DNA. I am convinced this is the reason for so much of what makes Americans tick. The white people dream of better days long ago. Work, Family, Church. Donald is their last hurrah. I understand how they feel as a white man myself. This time is their last stand.
You should probably know that there are religious people here who are not part of the "Religious Right." We're not as noisy, but we exist, and lots of us are politically indistinguishable from secular folks. There are also, judging by what I see on C-D, a fair number of what I call small "L" libertarians who are atheists.

I consider myself to be a Christian, although I am quite sure some believers of a more fundamentalist stripe would consider me a heretic. I would far rather spend an afternoon with an atheist or Pagan than someone like Jerry Falwell.

Religion is definitely a factor in American life, but it's not a simple one.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You should probably know that there are religious people here who are not part of the "Religious Right." We're not as noisy, but we exist, and lots of us are politically indistinguishable from secular folks. There are also, judging by what I see on C-D, a fair number of what I call small "L" libertarians who are atheists.

I knew a Jehovah's Witness for years when I worked. Nice guy. I asked him a few things out of curiosity. This was sometime in the 80s. He explained part of their belief is that when the last person born during the First World War dies, the world will end.

I said, so that will roughly in the 2025 time period? He agreed. He was younger than me, and wouldn't be retired by 2025. I asked him if he was in the company pension scheme, and he said he was. I said, 'what for? The world will end before you retire'..........

Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post

Spot-on. I've had coworkers that I spent 8-12 hours a day working next to for YEARS and didn't know they were devout Christians. They kept their faith private and out of the office, and my experience so far in life has been that most religious people strive to do the same. Everyone's experience varies of course. But I've never felt like I live in a predominately religious country - even now that I've moved from CA to TX.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
So now we've moved the cruelty goalposts to religion, specifically one religion, and specifically to only those followers of that religion who also happen to vote Republican? That makes America uniquely cruel? Christians who vote Republican?

Do I have that about right?

Is that the new moving target for cruelty?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So now we've moved the cruelty goalposts to religion, specifically one religion, and specifically to only those followers of that religion who also happen to vote Republican? That makes America uniquely cruel? Christians who vote Republican?

Do I have that about right?

Is that the new moving target for cruelty?
We're all over the place in this thread. Religion is the cruelty target right now. Health care up next.......

I can't say any more than that right now, the England team are playing in the World Cup.......

Old 07-03-2018, 01:47 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Neither of the religions you mentioned are overly powerful in America. Baptists? -- yes; Catholics -- yes. Your facts are bad.
That's an understatement if I ever heard one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies