Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,441,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The percentage of U.S. citizens who have health insurance is actually pretty high, about 90-95%.

A large number of uninsured in America are immigrants, often recently arrived or illegal.
Yes, but there is having it, and there is able to afford to have it. Plus many have huge deductibles don't they? Sometimes thousands of dollars?

Old 07-06-2018, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
While I don't disagree with the basic premise, you must remember that we learned from the best - our Mother Country!

I know who Donald Trump is....and, of course he is simply a Con Man who has no interest except in himself. He is on automatic pilot like many Con Men.

But we are going through a phase where we have the deadly combination of the Internet and an uneducated population. What was supposed to be a liberating technology has been weaponized to serve exactly the opposite purpose.

It's well known that about 30% of Americans are authoritarian in nature. This 30% prefers a dictator or a head priest or whatever and has no concern for anything else. By definition, whatever their leader does is OK - even mass murder.

Trump was elected by a minority...statistically due to the combo of Comey (letter), the Russians and the effect on the "uneducated" of the thousands of lies spread. A large number of Americans are so depressed with their lives that they would prefer chaos and violence over seeing others succeed. They have been conned to "know their place", even if that means they die young and have little or no medical care.

The USA is a big place. Many of the tendencies you mention are regional in nature. Alabama is not the same as Massachusetts. In fact, I think if you compare MA. to England you'd see we probably match or beat the Mother Country in many ways (health care, income, education and other such measures)....

Please - don't lump civilized Americans in with the Trump Train! From the very day he was elected, his disapproval rating has been much higher than his approval rating.
Much as I'd like to like a post actually defending the US, I don't particularly like this one.

The US is not "an uneducated population". Our high school graduation rate (84%) is higher than the UK's rate of those who have completed upper secondary education (roughly the equivalent) of 81%.
OECD Better Life Index
https://www.usnews.com/high-schools/...rates-by-state

Likewise, where does this "30% of Americans are authoritarian in nature. This 30% prefers a dictator or a head priest or whatever and has no concern for anything else" come from?

And, the typical east coast elitism! Not much more to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Your comment that you believe about 30% of Americans are authoritarian in nature is a real interesting one. The more the leader seems strong, the more his appeal. So, we have Nixon coming into power in 1968. He cranks up Vietnam, and increases the bombing. Result he wins again in 1972. Bush gave us 'shock and awe' on the innocent Iraqi population. Result a second term in 2004.

Now we have Trump swinging the big stick, and trying to bully everybody. Result, a win again in 2020? I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Maybe you can go back to what George Washington did to get elected to a second term.

As for Trump winning in 2020, I refer you to this: https://www.npr.org/2016/12/11/50515...guide-to-facts
"Is the story set in the future? It's hard to get firsthand reporting from there. Any story that tells you what will happen should be marked down 50 percent for this reason alone."

GHW Bush did not win a second term, despite his "success" in the Middle East, for example.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionswitchandsignal View Post
Another liberal tofu eating America bashing idiot.
Don't forget the Non Fat, Decaf, Soy Lattes.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,188,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Your comment that you believe about 30% of Americans are authoritarian in nature is a real interesting one. The more the leader seems strong, the more his appeal. So, we have Nixon coming into power in 1968. He cranks up Vietnam, and increases the bombing. Result he wins again in 1972. Bush gave us 'shock and awe' on the innocent Iraqi population. Result a second term in 2004.

Now we have Trump swinging the big stick, and trying to bully everybody. Result, a win again in 2020? I wouldn't be surprised at all.
“When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, by their nature they will like the strong horse.” - Osama Bin Laden

Old 07-06-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm not sure if you mean me, or one of the other posters.

I can confirm I am a right wing, steak eating, full fat coffee, soy hating Englishman........

America bashing idiot? Nope, not at all. I have always liked and admired America, and Americans. You do some stupid things though.......

Old 07-06-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
“When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, by their nature they will like the strong horse.” - Osama Bin Laden
The same Osama Bin Laden who remains a hero in some parts of the world. We really need to ask ourselves why that is.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,188,189 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And they’re laughing at you as you proudly “take it in the rear” from your employer, health insurance companies, etc. all the while bragging about how macho you are.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:53 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The percentage of U.S. citizens who have health insurance is actually pretty high, about 90-95%.

Would you mind backing that up with a link? Many of my friends are blue collar as am I. Too some extent your right about people having health insurance but the costs are so high that they have to take on another job sometimes too. I think you meant to say those who make 60K and up have health insurance.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Maybe you can go back to what George Washington did to get elected to a second term.

GHW Bush did not win a second term, despite his "success" in the Middle East, for example.
What did George Washington do to get a second term then? Get his wood teeth varnished?

Well, GHW Bush came up against slick Willy. He was the exception to the rule.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wincing at "most uniquely". Bad English, English Dave.
I didn't write the link MQ. I just used it in the title of the thread. I am not one to change the words of an author.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies