Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 03:04 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times

Advertisements

Why America is the world's most uniquely cruel society?

Compared to what other society?

Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You can't take yourself seriously in this life...... everything is just so ridiculous. We have to learn to laugh at ourselves. Many Americans are not very good at that. Then again, many Americans don't have a lot to laugh at. Life seems quite hard there, especially if you fall on hard times.

Sensitive folks shouldn't come into 'Politics.' I have friends in more sedate outposts of c-d. They say, "don't go there David, it's scary"........
So true, David. My heart aches at how far America has fallen from the ideals of one of icons...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQB-vSmN0To

Old 07-04-2018, 03:37 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Just playing Mike....... I'm in too good a mood to argue. England won at football, and I've booked a holiday. Enjoy your July 4th.....
Football is helmets and pads and an oblong ball, not a bunch of people in shorts chasing a ball around the field.

Glad your team won at whatever they play

Old 07-04-2018, 03:48 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Football is helmets and pads and an oblong ball, not a bunch of people in shorts chasing a ball around the field.

Glad your team won at whatever they play
They won at a game that is the most popular in the world Mike........

I have tried watching your football, and it's very boring. I do like seeing the ball spinning in the air though, on slow motion replays.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
They won at a game that is the most popular in the world Mike........

I have tried watching your football, and it's very boring. I do like seeing the ball spinning in the air though, on slow motion replays.
As an American, I only watch soccer during the world cup, and enjoy the nationalistic emotion. I know a little. I know that I’m glad Wayne Rooney isn’t playing for England. I know that Everton serves taffy before their games. And I know that Neymar deserves an Academy Award for his agonized writhing on the turf.

Good luck against Sweden. Have you noticed that their manager bears a striking resemblance to Goldfinger?

Old 07-04-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As an American, I only watch soccer during the world cup, and enjoy the nationalistic emotion. I know a little. I know that I’m glad Wayne Rooney isn’t playing for England. I know that Everton serves taffy before their games. And I know that Neymar deserves an Academy Award for his agonized writhing on the turf.

Good luck against Sweden. Have you noticed that their manager bears a striking resemblance to Goldfinger?
Same here with the football. I never watch it except for England during the World Cup every four years. You're right about Rooney....... he should have been dropped many years ago. He verbally abused angry fans at the World Cup in 2010, and should never have played for England again.

The England manager showed the English at our best, when he consoled the Columbian player who missed his penalty at the end of the game Tuesday night. He knew well the pain of that, having done the same thing himself when a player in 1996. Makes you proud to be English.......

This World Cup has galvanised the English. We don't wear patriotism on our sleeves most of the time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44715244

Old 07-05-2018, 11:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
There is a lot I could say to this post, but not today. Enjoy this special day America..........
43 posts since this one, many by you! I stayed off yesterday just because of that. Well, that and fireworks in the evening, but I could have been on here all yesterday afternoon. Oh, well. Here's what I have to say:

This: Re: the US- "It has little, if any, functioning healthcare, education, transport, media, no safety nets, no stability, security. The middle class is collapsing, and life expectancy is falling." is BS!

That invalidates the entire thread. It is true that life expectancy has dropped by a couple months for two years, but that is thought to be due to the opioid "epidemic", and will hopefully abate soon.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/21/healt...udy/index.html

Old 07-05-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
43 posts since this one, many by you! I stayed off yesterday just because of that. Well, that and fireworks in the evening, but I could have been on here all yesterday afternoon. Oh, well. Here's what I have to say:

This: Re: the US- "It has little, if any, functioning healthcare, education, transport, media, no safety nets, no stability, security. The middle class is collapsing, and life expectancy is falling." is BS!

That invalidates the entire thread. It is true that life expectancy has dropped by a couple months for two years, but that is thought to be due to the opioid "epidemic", and will hopefully abate soon.
Hello Katarina.......Thank you for your thoughtful comments on the link, and you saying it is all BS. You have obviously thought long and hard about what the link had to say, and kept your comments brief.

Today is the 70th anniversary of the introduction into Britain of the National Health Service (NHS). This single event is the greatest social advance for my people in the history of the UK.

We do not have to worry when sick, beyond trying to get well. No fears of having to battle with insurance companies, and maybe ruinous bills to pay.

We believe in society, and not dog eat dog. Once again, thank you for your comments. I can tell money spent on your education was not wasted......

Old 07-05-2018, 12:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Canada has universal healthcare. The USA does not.

Canada spends 1/3 less on healthcare as a percentage of their GDP than the USA does.

Canadians live longer. Canada has a better healthcare system, and arguably better safety nets in nationwide unemployment insurance, and workers compensation plans. Both countries have challenges on other fronts, some of which Canada has better outcomes, and some the USA. But on healthcare and longevity, Canada clearly comes out on top.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:23 PM

13,967 posts, read 5,630,295 times
I think I have it now - this all comes down to two things:
  1. Donald J Trump is the current President of the United States
  2. the United States does not have totally nationalized healthcare
It is these two things that keep reappearing in post after post, and it is these two things that make America "uniquely cruel" as a society.

Well, for point #1, Trump was duly elected following a process that has overseen the peaceful transfer of power in the Executive Branch for over 200 years. Every citizen of voting age was allowed to have a say, and according the written rules of the federal government and the 50 states, the president was affirmed by the US House of Representatives, peacefully, properly and according to all due electoral process.

For point #2, it's a purely subjective argument because of how each individual values the inherent tradeoff of less government intrusion equals more individual responsibility, and vice versa.

But there's no arguing with these two points.

If you believe Donald Trump is the Devil incarnate, then you do, and you are unlikely to be swayed off thinking any country that elects him is evil as well, at least those who voted for him. Why keep circling back to this point? Let's just agree that English Dave thinks Trump is the devil and so long as he is POTUS, America is evil.

If you think a wealthy nation simply must provide cradle to grave universal healthcare, then the US fails that test and is evil. Why keep circling back to this point? Let's just agree that English Dave thinks our lack of UHC is evil and so long as we don't have UHC, America is evil.

There is no "I want to know about America" or "I want to learn more about this culture that fascinates me" or any such disingenuous nonsense. It's so much simpler and is proven out over 900 posts - someone in England has a particular axe to grind on two points - Trump is POTUS and America doesn't have England's NIH and universal healthcare. Therefore, America sucks, and all discussions will eventually come back to these two central, immutable points that this one person from England will never, ever change stance on. Every tangent, every avenue, every point-counterpoint always comes back to "let's bash Trump" and "why no UHC for you America?"

Trump is president, and nothing can be done about that for 30 more months, and we don't have universal healthcare and won't for the foreseeable future. Both points are essentially moot, so a 900 post discussion about the evils of these two unchanging things seems itself moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies