Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think the hat wearer was looking for a fight. Here is why.

The restaurant manager never refused service and he never said anything to the customer about the logo on his hat. The manager merely asked the customer to remove his hat. Then the customer turned and walked out of the restaurant. Then he complained and lied to the owners and said he was refused service because of the logo on his hat.

Why did the customer lie and say he was being refused service, and why did he lie and say it was because of the logo on his hat when the manager had never said anything about the logo? There was no reason for it unless the customer was looking for a fight and tried to create a fight by wearing that particular hat.

Removing a hat is the polite custom in Canada when you go into a fancy, classy restaurant and if that customer happened to be a Canadian he would already know that and wouldn't have worn a hat in there in the first place, nor made an issue of it, unless he was deliberately looking for a fight.

If the customer was a polite foreign visitor from any other country, including from USA, then as a polite visitor and a guest he should expect to follow the old adage "when in Rome do as the Romans do". He should have removed the hat as requested without making an issue of it no matter what kind of hat it was or what kind of logo it had on it. Because that's what a classy person does when they go into a restaurant.

If he was an American visitor and if he was not looking for a fight - why, as a guest of Canada, was he trying to make a political statement about America while visiting Canada at a time when tension is high between Canada and America, and why do it by wearing that particular type of low class hat with that logo and all its inflammatory connotations into a classy restaurant?

There can be only two explanations for his behavior - either the guy was an instigator who was looking for a fight and knows how to tell lies and make up lame excuses or else he is an extremely stupid, bone-headed moron who needs somebody to put a leash on him and keep him away from polite society and nice restaurants. And if he is a foreign visitor who doesn't know how to be a polite guest in other countries then he should stay home.

Nice commentary on a one sided slant. Post should be moved to the fiction forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 12:41 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
I want a hat that says AIGA " America Is Great Again", or TMAGA " Trump Made America Great Again". Or a shirt that says simply, "Trump Is Winning".

Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Why care what anyone who isn't a Canadian thinks? Unless physical danger is imminent, all that caring does is reveal feelings of insecurity on the part of the person who is upset. In the scenario re the OP, it can really only be the latter. If the restaurant in question was a McDonalds or similar, that would be one thing, but the thought that the MAGA hatted diner was coming to a restaurant where he could spend $100+ USD per sitting with the intent to be violent is ludicrous.

Because you don't want to be an 'ugly guest'.

For argument's sake, 'with everything reversed', likewise, I wouldn't want to be an 'ugly American'.

Yes the MAGA hatted guy (if the whatever % likelihood that the point of the hat is 'in your face Trump support' is true for that guy) is an idiot, but someone to be pitied, not denied service because of a hat.
It had nothing to do with being violent, but everything to do with making fellow diners uncomfortable.

The hat is a slap in the face to Canada.

I will post the latest that I know from a friend of the manager in a separate post.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree.

Another thing I found interesting in that post of Natnasci's was N's mentioning a fast food restaurant vs. the restaurant from the OP. I used that type comparison in a reply of mine to Natnasci, but that came out of my own head....at that point I hadn't yet read Natnasci's post that you replied to above. Additionally, Natnasci and I were drawing that comparison for arguably different reasons.
Think about it. Fast food, you are in and out. You've spent a few bucks. You see a guy in an offensive hat and you tell your friends.

Manager etc, would probably think the same thing.

You're a manager in a high end restaurant where YOUR guests are probably spending a few hundred dollars for a nice meal. They could be there for 2 or 3 hours.

However as you shall see the manager did NOT refuse service.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 PM

The story that I've been told by people who know the manager is this.

The guy walked in wearing a MAGA hat. The manager was concerned how other diners would feel. Yes the manager personally found the hat offensive but never said anything except asking the man to remove his hat in the restaurant.

The man said he was insulted, and walked out and then complained.

The Sequoia Company of Restaurants originally said to the press the manager was fired for refusing service. This is not true.

The company is now saying that by just having the manager ask for someone to remove their hat, is equal to refusing service.

The support for the manager is why the company is " clarifying " their original statement.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Was the customer raised in a barn? I am of the school that men should take their hats off when entering a building.
Guys don't seem to do that any more, at least here in Colorado.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Nice commentary on a one sided slant. Post should be moved to the fiction forum.

While you're entitled to your opinion of course, your opinion still doesn't negate the fact that the cretin wearing the MAGA hat was the first one to offer a confrontational insult directed at our entire nation. Uncivilized people who come into Canada as guests and offer such an unwarranted and intentional slap in the face to the host nation are not welcome in Canada.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't have a problem with it, good for the restaurant.

What a shame though that a Canadian business has better common sense compared to American businesses that would have jumped on the 'bash Trump' bandwagon.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/restau...ring-maga-hat/
The Manager should have followed restaurant policy rather than turn away customers based on his own prejudices.

If the Manager wants to turn people away then he needs to buy his own business with the the profits lost by turnin people away coming from his own pocket.

Restaurant manager sacked after refusing to serve customer in MAGA hat - The Independent

Sequoia Company of Restaurants

Old 07-05-2018, 02:15 AM

3,626 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
While you're entitled to your opinion of course, your opinion still doesn't negate the fact that the cretin wearing the MAGA hat was the first one to offer a confrontational insult directed at our entire nation. Uncivilized people who come into Canada as guests and offer such an unwarranted and intentional slap in the face to the host nation are not welcome in Canada.
Exactly. Americans who see this as a silly thing that should be ignored; are not seeing it as Canadians, who have been repeatedly insulted and denigrated by the current US president. Canada has been America's ally countless times in armed conflicts--so why is Canada now a "national security" problem? Canada has come to America's aid in times of natural disasters--so why is Canada now a "national security" problem? Canada got your diplomats out of Iran in 1980, and landed your planes on 9/11--so why is Canada now an American "national security" problem?

I'd suggest that anybody who openly supports Trump in Canada can expect the same treatment. Mr. Trump is destroying a relationship between two countries; who, up until now, have been the best of friends for 200 years or so. We in Canada share friends and family more than the US does with any other country. Do you really want to destroy our relationship, Mr. Trump? And can you Americans blame us for wanting Trump supporters visiting in Canada to stop wearing MAGA hats?

Maybe this restaurant manager did the gentleman a favour--the manager kept him from getting beaten up by Canadians who loath, despise, and hate Trump, and all he stands for.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
It's a hat with a logo - get over it! I believe in making America Great Again - I don't always agree with the president and where he stands or what he says - but that has nothing to do with my desire to Make America Great Again.

Canadian tourism has been suffering since 2013 - best to just think of the guy as ignorant if you're so offended and get on with life.

Canadian tourism down - CBC Player
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies