Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:47 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Racism "between Hispanics" makes as much sense as racism between any people.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:17 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In how many parts of the world are darker people NOT looked down upon by lighter people? It's a world-wide sickness.

As a side note, I learned last night that Ted (Teddy Ballgame, The Splendid Splinter) Williams was Mexican-American. I wonder if he would have been harassed in Mexico?
I read an article of a woman from Central African Republic that was raped by a French UN peacekeeper. She got pregnant and her child was mocked and ridiculed for being "white", i.e. she wasn't truly African because she was mixed. Sadly, racism knows no borders, cultures or skin colors.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:21 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,646,117 times
You don't know there are parts in the World where dark people look down upon lighter people from abroad. I have been in those places.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
That's hardly unique to Mexico, happens everywhere including America.

For example, just about every month in America, you read news report of an incident where someone harrasses an Asian person in public with the familiar mantra, "go back to your own country." And that's just what makes the news. And I'm sure it happens everywhere around the world, Asia, Africa, Europe, etc.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I read an article of a woman from Central African Republic that was raped by a French UN peacekeeper. She got pregnant and her child was mocked and ridiculed for being "white", i.e. she wasn't truly African because she was mixed. Sadly, racism knows no borders, cultures or skin colors.

I am not sure that is the same thing. First, the whites are seen as colonizers and oppressors and hence she was part colonizer/oppressor but without power. Secondly, kids always tease kids who are different. Finally, many Africans and people around the world attempt to conform to European standards of beauty. If you use a different race for your standard of beauty, its not likely that you are racist against that race.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:47 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Can't watch the video but I've always known a higher percentage of the lighter Mexicans look down on the darker ones.

Not coming from a western state, (eastern coast) I had no idea about this type of discrimination. Never heard of a "black Mexican"...

is this just darker skin Mexicans (indigenous perhaps?) or are they referring to black and Mexican mix?

Seriously, I have no idea...tell me.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:12 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Mexicans have always been racist toward Mayans.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not sure that is the same thing. First, the whites are seen as colonizers and oppressors and hence she was part colonizer/oppressor but without power. Secondly, kids always tease kids who are different. Finally, many Africans and people around the world attempt to conform to European standards of beauty. If you use a different race for your standard of beauty, its not likely that you are racist against that race.
They ostracized the very dark African woman and her baby because the baby was 1/2 white. That is the very definition of racism. Why are you trying to excuse it?

Old 07-24-2018, 01:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Many Mexicans have Spanish (European) heritage and would be classified as Caucasian, even if they have some native blood mixed in. They are white. It's interesting though, how many Americans don't see them as white.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Not coming from a western state, (eastern coast) I had no idea about this type of discrimination. Never heard of a "black Mexican"...

is this just darker skin Mexicans (indigenous perhaps?) or are they referring to black and Mexican mix?

Seriously, I have no idea...tell me.
Just like all of the Caribbean and America, slavery was introduced to Mexico as well. Most were in Veracruz and Oaxaca, but Mexicans are extremely racist and hostile towards them. Almost all Mexican tv personalities are Lilly white with very few exceptions. Mexico even published this overtly racist stamp several years ago.

U.S. says Mexican stamp is racist - World news - Americas | NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies